Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay E30 or go E39?

Hey guys,

Looking for opinions/ideas/thoughts. I currently own a 91 E30 318i w/ 125k on the clock. I'm the 2nd owner and it's in great shape generally. It runs almost problem free, it's light on it's feet and fun to drive. It's been my first venture into the BMW world and I couldn't have been happier with it (Well, besides the lack of power, but I have a moto for that).

I've been looking at buying an E39 5 series. I've been very close but had a couple things pop up that made me stop before the sale (repairs needing to be done and not sufficient enough price break). The main reason I've been looking for an E39 is because I do a lot of traveling to and fro from Seattle, WA and Portland, OR, as well as spending a lot of time in the car generally. I would like a bigger, quieter, more comfortable car - more style and class as well. The only thing that concerns me is maintenance, though I feel if I get one in good shape and spend a bit to fix any problems it should be relatively fine.

Recently I've been contemplating keeping my E30 instead. I wrecked it a couple years ago and it's finally all fixed w/ an Mtech front and skirts, as I've wanted. If I kept it, I could lower the car and put a few thousand into it to make it exactly what I wanted - though I'd still have a slow, loud-on-the-freeway-going-4k-rpms car. I thought engine drop until I found I'd need 7-8k for it, which I wouldn't be willing to do. If I did keep it, the following mods would HAVE to happen:

- Lower via shocks/springs
    - HID lights
    - Better seats
    - Armrest
    - Tune-up
    - rear valence
    - Body work
    - Sound deadening?

....What to do? Keep my E30 or sell it and get an E39?
    1991 BMW E30 318i sedan
    2005 Kawasaki 636cc ZX6-R

PNWRiders.com

Here are a couple really crappy pictures I took with my phone. They don't look to have transferred well to the computer.... but it gives you a general idea:

1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

buy an e39 for daily driving and use the e30 for weekend use ;)
      www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

id sell my e30 for a e39 anyday. my favorite BMW
        NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

E39 525i is slow. It is comforatable as all getout, however. get the 5-series for a DD, and have more fun with the e30? can you swing that?
          '89 325i track sloot
          '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

What engine swap were you planning on for $8k?

I bet that you would be happy with a run of the mill m50 swap, or hell, even an m20 stroker if you'd like to keep the old school steize.

The m50 swap would be cheapest option though.

I'm personally getting rid of my e34 540i6, and restoring (ish) my 325ix. Funny that you mention sound deadening, because that has been the biggest part of my project.

Sound deadening is expensive if you do it right. I personally wouldn't use anything from any other company than Second Skin Audio, or Cascade Audio. Cascade makes a product called VMAX, which is evidently very efficient, and very light. The down side is that it costs about $250 (discounted) for 50 square feet.

You can get it from a fellow on diymobileaudio.com, B-Squad.

I personally used 100 square feet of Second Skin Damplifier. I'll be posting pictures in the next week or so of the sound deadening I've done to my car, in the audio sub forum. 100 square feet is plenty to do just about every sheet metal surface in the car, and weighs about 45lbs.

On top of that, I'm using two different second skin liquid deadeners- Spectrum, and firewall. I'm using firewall on the transmission tunnel & firewall, and spectrum on everything else. I bought a gallon of each, and it should be more than enough, especially considering you only really need 1mm coverage when used with damplifier.

Then to top the cake off- I'm using B-squad's Vertex Barrier Pad. Its closed cell foam with a mass loaded vinyl on top of that. I got the 45 sq ft pack, and its really heavy.
            Read more about it here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ad.php?t=19445

I'm telling you all of this so you know how to make your car quieter than an e39.

I would personally stick with the e30. You know the history, you probably know all of the little quirks by now, and electrical problems are going to be minimal. The e30 has also hit its lowest price point.

I think as the e39 gets older, its just going to keep depreciating, repairs will be alot more expensive (4 control arms) etc. and the aftermarket isn't there like it is with the e30. Electrical systems will fail, and you'll end up spending alot of money.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
            On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
            BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

I've contemplated keeping both, but if I did I'd want to make a toy out of the E30, which would mean dropping in a new engine which would get too costly when combined with the other toys. I already have a 2005 636cc Supersport bike which I race & rebuild every season practically so a lot of $$$ goes there. If I were to get the E39, it would become my DD but I think financially I would probably sell the E30 since I already have a bike as my toy.

Which engine is the M50? I've really only looked into the S50 (E36 M3 I believe) engine. I'd want something fun.... At least a genuine 175 hp to the wheels (at least). How much is a full swap cost by the end of everything?
              1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

While there is more room for passengers in the E39, I actually prefer my E30 over it when just one or two people are going places as there is more "square" room, feels much more open in the E30. The windshield rakes back quite a bit and visibility is less then the E30.

Otherwise, yes the E39 rides better, has more features and more power ;)

For reliabilty, if you stick with an I-6 you will have a rock solid motor. The V8s aren't unreliable, but do have a more issue pop up and when you add VANOS to the later models, you also add in additional parts and cost when/if it goes bad.
                Chris
                90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Spec View Post
                  Which engine is the M50? I've really only looked into the S50 (E36 M3 I believe) engine. I'd want something fun.... At least a genuine 175 hp to the wheels (at least). How much is a full swap cost by the end of everything?
                  You can check out the 24v swap subforum for info on the swap. Depending on how good you are at finding cheap parts, bartering, etc. you can do the swap for about $1k or less. But I'd plan on spending 2k.

The m50 is 2.5l version of the s50 (us spec) I don't know how you would spend 8k doing an s50 swap, unless the s50 were rebuilt. They're both stout motors, and should give you plenty of driving miles.

The m50 should get you about 180 -190 to the wheels with a nice chip, injectors and headers, even though they're rated at 192 bhp from the factory.

If you've got 4-5k, go for a stock s50.

If you get an e39, you'll like it at first, but you'll miss the e30. That's what happened with my e34, and my cabrio. Now I'm doing the e30 all over again.

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                  On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                  BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

As an E39 owner looking for an E30...I'd recommend you try and keep both. The e30 will be my weekend/toy car and my E39 touring is my family/cruising car. I do love the design on both...and quite honestly the BMW gods prefer if you own both! :D
                    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

I have both, and I love my E39. It is a great daily, and nice an smooth, good stock sound system. My suggestions are: get a stick, I got an auto and it is lacking as well as more unreliable. Don't get a 540 I got one and I will tell you that they are more difficult to keep up. The 528 is a M52 and much easier to work on. The v8 is very very fun, but I will not buy another one.
                      Originally posted by KingB
                      Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
                        I do love the design on both...and quite honestly the BMW gods prefer if you own both! :D
                        Best statement ever!!:up::up::up:
                        Originally posted by KingB
                        Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

M50 swap

Originally posted by Spec View Post
                          I've contemplated keeping both, but if I did I'd want to make a toy out of the E30, which would mean dropping in a new engine which would get too costly when combined with the other toys. I already have a 2005 636cc Supersport bike which I race & rebuild every season practically so a lot of $$$ goes there. If I were to get the E39, it would become my DD but I think financially I would probably sell the E30 since I already have a bike as my toy.

There is a member on here that is selling a complete M50 swap near Boston for $1,400. It includes everything, just needs installed and comes out of a 318is.
                          I just found it: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=96758
                          Not related to this at all but something to look at
                          344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

Get an E39 530 or 528. The 8's are nice, tell me how I know but it's expensive to maintain for sure! I'm going to spend about $1,600.00 next month on a oil pan gasket, bushings and radiator hose.

So keep that in mind.
                            Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

i have an e39 540 sport and id rather drive my e30 any day of the week. e39 is a nice road car if you want to drive like an old man
                              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X