Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping wheels & tires: methods & options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping wheels & tires: methods & options?

Ok everyone,

It's been a while since I've sold a set of wheels, but last time I did I pretty much just took some soft wrap and wrapped it around the wheel and threw on two thick pieces of cardboard cut out the shape of the wheels and used strapping tape to send them out. I had no complains with them, but I was wondering. The wheels I'll be sending out are a bit pricey so i was thinking of going that route, but has anyone atually shipped with one wheel & tire in a box setup and how much did it cost you? Also where is the best place to pick up boxing materials if I were to do that. The wheels are 17s with tires on them.

Any input would be appreciated!
    sigpic

Last set of wheels and tires i shipped loose like that ran about $120 .

Throwing them in boxes on the last set brought the cost down to around $75 .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

put carboard double thick on the inside and outside of the wheels (not over the tires) and ship them like that. tires can be shipped bare.

or ship them on a pallet or crate via forward air. I shipped a 175lb transmission to san diego from sacramento for $80 (+20 for $2000 insurance and it was $100 total).

ship em greyhound, two wheels/tires per box.

Comment

Wow so shipping in boxes actually cost less huh?

ptownTSI where would you get the pallet/crate? There's a forward air around my area, but do they provide the crate and what not?

I'll have to ask Greyhound as well what my shipping options are as well...
        sigpic

Comment

Got to a uhaul, extra space storage unit etc and buy boxes.
          I just demounted tires from wheels and shipped them 2 per box with cardboard in between, face to face and cardboard to protect bottom. Put packing around them to tighten up the space and it should be good. Cost me $89 to ship oth boxes UPS across the country.

Tires you can ship by wrapping them together in pairs with good tape. Attatch something to put the label on and you're good to go.

Wheels and tires should be shipped in a box individually (due to weight). Put an extra peice of cardboard to protect the face of the wheel. I deflate the wheels so the pressure doesn't become a problem on the plane. The tires obviously protect the outside.
          '74 2002 - Build blog at
          nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

i go right to the dealership. talk nice to the parts guy. this is an excellent time to get free tire boxes if you live in the snow belt. dealers are getting wheel and tire packages in right now for winter. i got 4 yesterday and theres a whole fucking room full of these boxes for the taking. go ask your dealer. they are glad to get rid of them
            We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
            www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X