Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locks are F*KD!! how do I get out my trunk lock??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locks are F*KD!! how do I get out my trunk lock??

Ok, I was cleaning my trunk (on my 1990 325i) and sprayed cleaner all over the place.
    It must have gotten into the trunk lock, or lock electronics, because now
    I can't get into my car!!

the trunk is stuck unlocked,
    and the doors are stuck locked.

I'm thinking that I need to get the trunk lock apart and clean it,
    can someone let me know how? I can't figure it out and my bentley doesn't get here till thursday!

more details:

when I turn it to the "lock" position,
    it actually pops the lock switches back UP (so it looks like it's unlocked)
    but the doors won't open.
    If I try to turn either door to the "unlock" position,
    it just wont go.
    Last edited by Tad; 10-22-2007, 11:49 AM.

Hunh?

You can still turn all your locks with the keys - right?

Hit all the areas you think you sprayed cleaner in with compressed air.

I can't make out your problem - do you think you screwed a particular tumbler, or your central locking?

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Which truck is it ????

Maybe the electronics on the trunk can be bypassed if damaged...

Comment

hehe, I meant trunk not truck. sorry

no I the key doesn't work in my door locks anymore. (though the drivers side was always stubborn, but until I cleaned the trunk the drivers worked fine).

Comment

ask SWISS he had similar problem with his ride , but my new ecu was locked in the trunk!
          :pimp:

Comment

Trunk lock: open trunk, remove two bolts, pop off central lock unit rod, remove and disassemble on bench as you see fit.
            There is a sequence to resetting the central lock if it gets FUBAR'd but I never bothered to learn it. We just disconnect useless junk like that on race cars. :)
            sigpic

Comment

You cleaned the trunk & it made the DS tumbler quit working - or it just won't kick the central lock box?

Slow down & explain this clearly, Ace. We can't make heads or tails of what's going on.

Either that or shove a light hit of WD-40 in all the locks, let it sit overnite, then hit with compressed air. Then we can worry about your CL box.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Not sure exactly what component is not working,
                I can only explain the symptoms (never heard of a ds tumbler or central lock box before :( ).

basically the key won't budge to the left (to unlock)
                and does odd things to the right (locks twice in a row, but lock buttons stay UP).

i think I need to take the trunk mechanism apart and clean out any water
                (or by this time probably rust/corrosion as it's been sitting for over a day now).

Comment

Do you have compressed air? You need to try something besides posting for advice. I don't mean to sound like an ass, just saying doing anything will generally provide a better result than posting when we can't get a clear idea of your issue.

DS - driver side

Which lock or locks are causing you problems? Take your time & make a post that gives us all a clear pic of your problem.

Comment

Factory key or hardware store replacement? I can't lock my trunk because of the non-original key. I have to have it inserted just so or it won't turn at all.
                    sigpic

Comment

factory key.

Locks work again, I guess the lock dried out.
                      BUT they're not back to full effect.
                      Here are the exact symptoms at the moment.

-front doors:
                      Lock & unlock, but when unlocked door feels almost stuck and has to be pulled hard to open up.

-Trunk:
                      locks/unlocks but no longer has any effect on front doors (used to lock and unlock the front doors as well as itself).

Comment

Tad, when you lock the trunk, is it locking the gas door properly?

When you lock the drivers door, is it locking the trunk and gas door?

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

OK looks like all locking mechanisms are working as they should now!
                          Must just be taking forever for the water to work its way out.

BUT i'm still having a major problem with the doors being really stiff to open.
                          the pass especially, I have to really tug on it HARD for it to come open (even though it's unlocked).

Comment

Working...
                          X