Is this a sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a sign?

I was about to go buy a new car (a new GTI, but I was still going to keep the e30) yesterday when I decided that it really just wasn't a good idea to blow that much money. I was walking out the door to go to the dealership to buy (I'd already gotten a quote), when I thought, "my car is fine, it's just little things that are wrong with it, nothing that makes it undriveable or anything." Anyways, I woke up this morning to go to work, and under my car sits a puddle of blue fluid. I didn't take the time to get under there, but it looks like my slave cylinder decided to die. I'm still not going to go get a new car, but I just found it ironic and wanted to share.

Put the cost of a new car into your e30 every month and you'll be golden.
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

^ What he said. I had a B18 swapped EG hatch that I loved dearly, but thought it was a little spartan so in 2001 I went out and leased a new Jetta 1.8t - had a blast in that car, and it was really great to me in every way. Also spent probably $15k in lease payments/upgrades, not to mention the insurance hike. I now have nothing to show for it except a few pics and the knowledge that 200+ lb/ft. in a FF car is no good, and the car is long gone. I should have gotten an e30 back then. Or turbo'd my civic and bought a house. It's funny how much more I enjoy driving the BMW that I ever did the Jetta, despite the fact that it was much faster. Save your money.
      Originally posted by chileelky
      amaze about the enthusiasm e30 generate

Comment

Yeah - I chose a house over a car.

My girlfriend had a mazda tribute - 400 per month plus 250 per month in insurance - thats 650 per month we freed up by selling.

800 (Current rent) plus 650 = 1450 - which is more than we are spending to live in a brand new house. The best part is - the house wont depreciate! Hope you like the car. I'll enjoymy 3 e30's, a 2002 and a house.
        "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I always liked how if i would get mad at my car and threaten to junk it, it would usually run much better.

I think thats what the little grill is on the evap controls; cars ear.

Originally posted by vlad
          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
            I always liked how if i would get mad at my car and threaten to junk it, it would usually run much better.
            You tell that car!

I recently did the same thing. I was this close --> | | to buying an E39, even put two different ones through a Pre-purchase inspection, then decided "You know, instead of spending $20,000 on a new car, why not throw $5,000 into the E30 to upgrade it to what I want, and save the other $15k for a house". Ordered the things I wanted in a new car (HIDs, bigger/nicer rims, fresh interior) which are in the mail, will do a full tuneup & fluid flush and keep my paid-for car :razz:

I say pay to repair. What psloan said makes a hell of a lot of sense. If you put $250 a month into your E30, you'd have one hell of a nice ride ;)
            1991 BMW E30 318i sedan
            2005 Kawasaki 636cc ZX6-R

PNWRiders.com

Comment

Yeah, I realize it's not a smart decision to buy a new car...which is why I didn't go through with it. It's a $30 part that broke, so it's not like I'm gonna get rid of the car because of that, I just found it ironic that it broke after I didn't buy another car (partially because my e30 hasn't really broken down before).

Comment

It was probably crying. I've been looking for an e30 but not really seriously until my 85 camero (my first car ive had for5 years no problems)wouldn't start so that night i hit up craigslist and find an 87 325is the next day i bought it. so my other car breaking down was a blessing in disguise now i drive fine German engineering instead of an emisions controlled power rape known as an 85 camero 2.8L

Comment

only bone i have agaisnt dd'ing a 325is is fuel consumption.. an m50 swap does fix that though :-D
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                    I think thats what the little grill is on the evap controls; cars ear.
                    right you are.

Comment

Originally posted by redbull 325is View Post
                      only bone i have agaisnt dd'ing a 325is is fuel consumption.. an m50 swap does fix that though :-D
                      I get 30mpg highway - what more can you ask for?

Comment

Working...
                      X