Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before you toss your bent oil cooler.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before you toss your bent oil cooler.....

When i first got my bundle of joy it had a piece of of rubber hose where the oil cooler was supposed to be. I went to the local junk yard and pulled a perfect one off a 89 vert only to find out that they do not directly bolt on to 87s. A couple of zip ties and a wire hanger and i had me a reliable dd lol. I've been searching the junkyards for a year and this was the best i could find but it came with a straight oil cooler line to replace my bent one. initially i was just going to cut the tabs and weld them on since i got the whole assembly for $15 and i decided to see if i could fix it.

This is how it looked after it straightened it. The tabs were bent and the core was twisted.

Here are the tools i used. I placed the bar in the lip and banged it out.

after 10 minutes

I masked the core and threads.

A couple of coats of vht semi gloss and your done

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

good idea, mine looks like its been through vietnam
    1987 325is - sold
    2001 330i - New DD

Comment

Damn , do r3v'ers really need a DIY write-up for this ??

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

i did't think i could straighten the core w/o puncturing or cracking the core. Figured i might not be the only one.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
          Damn , do r3v'ers really need a DIY write-up for this ??
          Sad day...

Comment

buy a new one.

Comment

Oh ok.

P.S Nice monk shoezz

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by e30devo View Post
                buy a new one.
                Yeah, they are cheap.
                How about you buy me a new one, since they are apparently so inexpensive to you?
                Kudos to anyone who tries fixing something before becoming a parts replacer. May not have needed a how-to, but I respect his initiative.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30devo View Post
                  buy a new one.
                  I don't have $176 for a new one. I quit my job and won't be working for 2 years.

And considering people post threads asking about how to remove a front bumper or how to wire up a city light, i figured there would be someone who could get use out of this thread. I know i passed up on cleaner cores cause i thought there was nothing that could be done. And if people are trying to skimp and buy $15 dollar rotors and reuse old $25 odometer gears i don't think they'd spend almost 2 bills on a new cooler. Just a thought.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Working...
                  X