When is an iS no longer an iS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is an iS no longer an iS?

I have a kind of weird question. Since an iS (or eS) model E30 is not defined by any engine differences, if you replace all the trim components, is it still an iS? I mean say you got aftermarket seats, steering wheel, spoilers and suspnesion? These are the parts that make an iS, so would that car still be an iS? I know there are people that have done this, and I bet the owners still say they have a 325/318iS. In my opinion, I don't think you can call it an iS anymore.

Thoughts?
    No, not without the iS trim parts
    0%
    Yes, it's still an iS model E30
    0%

Once an iS always an iS.... that's how I see it....
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

the more important question, if its only like seats and stuff, who really cares......... :P
      BEERTECH

Comment

OBC, Premium Stereo, Optional heated seats....
        those are other extras on the iS.
        I think people like to show where they started from, so they use the original variants naming. I could care less myself.

Anything can be made to look like something else with enough time and money.

Example: 850csi turned Volga.....
        Below the radar...

Comment

then what would u call it?

Comment

once an is.. always an is, no posing.
            my car's been converted from a 318is to beyond 325is spec... it's still a 318, that's what it says inside the door

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              the more important question, if its only like seats and stuff, who really cares......... :P
              Because I was just curious man. Jeez, nevermind... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL

Example: 850csi turned Volga.....
                Yeah, I saw whole details about it on Video, it is very sick car, and lot of time/money has been put into it.

To stay on Topic, I dont think you can call it iS whatever you do to it because its called iS for its original BMW package and its says on a sticker. In my opinion, example would be like, turning 325 into M3 look alike with everything you can name it, and calling it a M3.
                95' M3.
                90' 325i Turboed.
                87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

Well the car may be original, but its I always consider a car to be what it was originally badged at.

I have added 95% of the es features to my car, however its still just a 325 base model to me.

Comment

The car is what you make it, but for most part, it will always be what it was when it rolled of the assembly line*

*However if some some took a 318i or 325i and took the time to converted it to full bona fide IS spec, then it would be an IS in my mind. That individual would not be doing anything other than what BMW did on the assembly line - meaning installing certain "Sport" components as specified in the build order, which ultimately was created by the BMW Marketing department to fill a market niche.

With all the things Ive done, my 318is is probably further away from what it was when it rolled of the assembly line. While it is still an IS, its now an ///M-Spec 318is . "///M-Spec" meaning Mario Specified ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TIATO
                      The car is what you make it, but for most part, it will always be what it was when it rolled of the assembly line*

*However if some some took a 318i or 325i and took the time to converted it to full bona fide IS spec, then it would be an IS in my mind. That individual would not be doing anything other than what BMW did on the assembly line - meaning installing certain "Sport" components as specified in the build order, which ultimately was created by the BMW Marketing department to fill a market niche.

With all the things Ive done, my 318is is probably further away from what it was when it rolled of the assembly line. While it is still an IS, its now an ///M-Spec 318is . "///M-Spec" meaning Mario Specified ;)
                      I don't think they made M42 318i in two doors though, that WOULD be an accomplishment to convert to 318is!

Comment

I don't think they made M42 318i in two doors though, that WOULD be an accomplishment to convert to 318is!
                        Easy - just weld the two rear doors shut :)

You are right, 318i is a four door. Still asleep - must be that decaf coffee.

Comment

Working...
                        X