No announcement yet.

123d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overweight.....Outpriced in the US market for the ones we are getting right now. Should have captialized on the market with these three years ago. Why hasn't BMW offered Clean diesels here in the US? Afraid there sales will slump on other cars? Or Image?

We have Euro diesels here...low sulfur was mandatory in January of 2007. MB has E series diesel and ML diesels. GM should offer their Opel chassis with one to bring up sales.
    Last edited by SchnellerVert; 11-20-2007, 03:16 PM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
      Overweight.....Outpriced in the US market for the ones we are getting right now. Should have captialized on the market with these three years ago. Why hasn't BMW offered Clean diesels here in the US? Afraid there sales will slump on other cars? Or Image?

We have Euro diesels here...low sulfur was mandatory in January of 2007. MB has E series diesel and ML diesels. GM should offer their Opel chassis with one to bring up sales.
      Ya, we have low sulfer diesel. But the manufacturers have been warry about importing diesels here to the states because it is very hard to get them certified in states with more stringent emmisions regulations (Cali, Vermont, Mass, etc.) The problem is not that they pollute too much, but that they put out more NOx than a gasoline car; Those emissions laws make no exception for diesel powered cars. So although a diesel may release much less CO2 than a gas car, the NOx emissions are slightly higher and therefor make them very hard or impossible to get past the state EPA. They could still sell the cars them in 45 of the 50 states, but with Cali being one of the biggest markets they don't want to loose out on such a lucrative opportunity. It's also just a lot more red tape and $ to have to go through state-by-state registration. That's why Mercedes has come out with their BluTec system and why VW will have a similar one in the coming months. These both us Urea injection to nearly eliminate NOx from the tailpipe (soot is already taken care of with particle filters, those work in all 50 states). So yes, some of those Merc diesels can be sold 50-state wide but the problem is that you have to refill the Urea every 20,000 miles or so. That makes the EPA nervous, because if people don't refill it their emissions will go up. And a good percentage of people would not bother to refill because it costs money. So they are trying to figure out how to make it mandatory or attractive for people to refill their urea systems.

(I read too much)

Comment

We they feds had a great infomertial on the new diesel for semi's. It was there way of trying to justify the way diesel which cost the least amount to refine costs the most at the pump.

The mandated Clean diesel eons ago but the oil companies used it as a way to jam it to the consumers.

Corporate greed is really hurting the country imo.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
          I think they look way too small! after you have seen it for a day or 2, it looks crappier and crappier. We have had one at my work for a few weeks now, its blue with the M tech kit on it. This Sat. is the big releasing of it. and 1 series are a joke anyway. The quaility of them SUX, and the suspension is garbage- they ALL eat up front tires like crazy. NO WAY you would get me to buy one, anfter working on them everyday.
          Too small?

the 5-series looks like it should be the 7-series
          the E90 looks like it should be the 5-series
          the 1-series is the properly sized 3-series
          R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

We they feds had a great infomertial on the new diesel for semi's. It was there way of trying to justify the way diesel which cost the least amount to refine costs the most at the pump.

The mandated Clean diesel eons ago but the oil companies used it as a way to jam it to the consumers.

Corporate greed is really hurting the country imo.
            Indeed. They fought it the same way the auto comapnis fought safety belts, cat converters, airbags, crash standards, etc. They cried wolf on every one of those saying it would bankrupt the industry. Turns out sales acutally kept going up, go figure. I guess people like clean, safe cars :)

Oregon is looking at adopting Cali's tougher emissions req'mts. I have no problem with that, but I will be unhappy if we get stuck with their crummy 91 octane special fuel.

Comment

So funny the "Blue Skies" commercial just ran on local channel.

Comment

lol ya. They fought that thing tooth and nail, and now they're like 'look what we're taking credit for!'

Comment

BMW is planning on bringing some diesel engines over in late 2008, using Mercedes' "urea" technology. I look forward to it, but the word is that it will only be in the larger cars.

'88 325is
                  VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                  BMWCCA 380364

Comment

So thats why they pulled the mk5 jetta diesel. I here its gonnah be in the x5 as possibly a hybrid combo.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I assume all these diesels have turbochargers.

Diesels without turbos are just bonkers.

Can a diesel match a S50B32MZ topping out at just over 7,500 RPM?

Hrrrm...diesel costs as much as 89 here. 87 is 3.47 here. 91 is like 3.65-3.70/gal.
                      :mrgreen:

Like game music? >clicky<

Comment

my question is does this car/motor combo still have that "get-up-and-go quick reving? That 0-60 suggests yes, but I still wanna drive one to test the ass-dyno.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                        HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                        **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

what a homo you are. shouldn't you be busy modding a piece of shit Sebring?

Originally posted by redbull 325is View Post
                          saw the new 1 series coupe with the 204hp 2L diesel in it at the dealer yesterday!! It is by far my favorite recent BMW offering as of lates, a true 2000 era e30 sized car. Definitely getting one in a few years.

FYI: that is 45 mpg

design elements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZaUZ...eature=related

last note: a diesel that breaks the 100hp/1L barrier is AMAZING to me
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Man, you delivered karma to her scalp

Comment

in todays day and age, all cars have grown. an E30 is so small, that noone wants a small thing like that. I really dont understand from you guys in the states!!!! a friend of mine has a new Golf, and it makes my M3 look miniture. Just wait till you see the coupe in person. UGLY. I dont mind the reg. ones, but as a coupe it is nasty, and a 130i is a TON of fun to drive.

and as far as you all talking about diesel tourqe being so great, wake up!!!! It SUX redlining at 4500rpm, and it doesnt feel anything like a gas car. you are always shifting just to keep it in the correct revs for fun in the curves. I have a e46 320d touring for many years now, and it sux to drive.---- but It is awesome in the fuel economy area.diesel is great for fuel economy, but not for sporty driving.

of course they are turbo charged, BMW hasnt made a non turbo diesel in forever. the twin turbo diesels are also alright to drive, but nothing in the comparision to the gas cars.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                              in todays day and age, all cars have grown. an E30 is so small, that noone wants a small thing like that. I really dont understand from you guys in the states!!!! a friend of mine has a new Golf, and it makes my M3 look miniture. Just wait till you see the coupe in person. UGLY. I dont mind the reg. ones, but as a coupe it is nasty, and a 130i is a TON of fun to drive.

and as far as you all talking about diesel tourqe being so great, wake up!!!! It SUX redlining at 4500rpm, and it doesnt feel anything like a gas car. you are always shifting just to keep it in the correct revs for fun in the curves. I have a e46 320d touring for many years now, and it sux to drive.---- but It is awesome in the fuel economy area.diesel is great for fuel economy, but not for sporty driving.

of course they are turbo charged, BMW hasnt made a non turbo diesel in forever. the twin turbo diesels are also alright to drive, but nothing in the comparision to the gas cars.
                              Small cars are badass dude, just because everyone makes big cars now doesn't mean its a good thing. I'd be happy daily driving an ariel atom or a lotus over a bigass 7 series or something anyday
                              Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                              Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
                                Small cars are badass dude, just because everyone makes big cars now doesn't mean its a good thing. I'd be happy daily driving an ariel atom or a lotus over a bigass 7 series or something anyday
                                I agree. I love small cars, they are faster, better handling, more efficient, cleaner, and cheaper to maintain (usually). Our highways are filled with 6000 lb+ SUVs with chatty cell-phone wielding trophy wives. No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X