how heavy is an M-tech II rear ling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how heavy is an M-tech II rear ling?

i am thinking of putting an M-tech II wing on my 91 325i, but i am also going to get a carbon fiber rear decklid. so i am not wanting to put a big heavy wing on it there by defeating the purpose of adding the light weight decklid. if it's a brick them i might go with a "is" or maybe nothing at all (like i have now) just looking at my options. and yes i am going to paint the CF decklid, as well as the CF hood, and CF sunroof that i am also prob going to get....horray for long term disability checks!!!
    thanks,
    greg
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

also are the fiberglass knock-offs total crap? any lighter, maybe? any one wth experence?

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

if you're not getting any kind of rear apron, don't put rear MtechII wing on!
      sigpic

Comment

no apron for sure, just deciding if i want a plain rear deck or to add a subtle wing and if so, that it's not a brick.

Comment

if you have no apron, I think it would be better to go with a little Is lip or mtechI lip, rather than the mtechII wing. Unless you wanna use the bottom portion only, it just looks outta place without some kind of skirt under the bumper... sticks out too much
          sigpic

Comment

i just looked at a couple of pic's and you're right, bad proportions w/o the rear valence. i guess it is "is" or nothing. not sure i am liking the m-tech 1 wing. i like the way the "is" wing looks, it reminds me of the factory "gli" wing i had on my A-2 jetta gli, nice and subtle

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
              also are the fiberglass knock-offs total crap? any lighter, maybe? any one wth experence?
              Well, that depends on who made the fiberglass replica. My brother's had two different replica Mtech II wings, and one was very light, but extremely crappy. The other was good quality, but weighed a ton.

-Erik

Comment

I just weighed my OEM M-Technic II wing for you. 11.4lbs.
                Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                  And your trunk won't stay open on it's own anymore. At least Jordan's didn't. :D

Comment

It stayed open... unless the wind hit it. I never did move the springs to the higher tension point.
                    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                    https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                      thanks

Comment

moving the springs does nothing either. only 11 lbs? I would have guessed it to be more. it is REALLY heavy

Comment

Just unloaded my rear wing for 200 bones .
                          I was happy to get rid of that fugly overwieght portly rice boy wannabee crap .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Haha! Yeah, mine will shut with the wind too - WHAM! It does seem heavier than it needs to be - but it is oem.
                            '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                              Don't ruin a nice CF trunk by drilling holes for some lame ass iS spoiler. Leave it wingless.
                              I'm pretty much set on wingless, i want to keep it as inconspicuous as possible. all the cf painted body colour (sunroof, hood and deck lid), even put the emblems back on, body colored ix flares and skirts, prob. going to use my old jetta's rims (polished, light weight BBS knock-off, but keeping the chrome on the body it ties it all together) and the best part........m30b3.5, P&P head, dbilas (prob.) 290 deg cam, wolf standalone, and my dbilas itb's!!
                              i just have to wait to heal a little before the motor swap (and when joe has the mounts avail)
                              fire bad!
                              hooray for collecting 2 disability checks and working...all legally
                              might as well work on the car, since they will only let me work 20 hrs a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X