Shipping damages: discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping damages: discuss

Just recieved my 5 sp. box via DHL express. Got the unit from ebay. Damn thing showed up wrapped in like 7 passes of industrial bubble wrap. Assholes must have thrown it around somewhere along the line.

Maybe I could run a big washer over it. I still have the broken piece. Anyone know if this can be welded?
    Attached Files
    Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

You can weld it. Find someone that knows how to weld aluminum. Make sure it is full of fluid to help dissipate the heat from the welder and not warp anything inside.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
      You can weld it. Find someone that knows how to weld aluminum. Make sure it is full of fluid to help dissipate the heat from the welder and not warp anything inside.
      ^ what he said- except for the part about being full of fluid to dissipate the head so as not to warp anything inside....................WTF??

No way is welding that tab back on going to generate enough heat to warp anything inside that gearbox. The only thing that could possibly get damaged is one of the seals- and they're far enough away that I don't know how they could possibly get hot enough.

If you can get it welded, you'll be OK with a washer on there, the weight of the tranny sits down on the tranny mount anyway- there should not be alot of side to side movement.

FWIW- it would not take much to break that ear off, it probably got dropped/set down hard on that end of the tranny while in transit.

Bret.

Comment

Damn, it's becoming a trend now. We should go for a R3v class action on these fukz... Good luck.

Comment

Yea, either way you don't need to empty out the fluid.
          My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Was there insurance on the package? can you get a partial refund? i want to know this situation from a buyer's perspective. do you feel like you were side-swindled?
            Recent Rebranding!!
            Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
            Instagram.com/garageaholic
            Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
              Was there insurance on the package? can you get a partial refund? i want to know this situation from a buyer's perspective. do you feel like you were side-swindled?

LOL... at first I was thinking, "did he recently get shipped a turbo?"

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                Yea, either way you don't need to empty out the fluid.
                is that just for welding, or you mean like "not flushing the tranny" type of thing?
                sigpic

Comment

I've got a 30 day refund, if I don't want the thing. I haven't gotten a response back from the seller yet. I'm not under the impression that the seller got one over on me. I've seen first hand how ups treats some of their packages (straight hurling boxes into their trucks sometimes). So dhl couldn't be much safer. Hell, if I had to deliver something like that, I'd prolly get pissed off too.

I'm just going to have to see what the dude says. In the mean while, I'm going to try to devise a solution for this trans. Maybe 2 stage epoxy the broken tab back on. Then try having a plate/washer welded on top of it. I think with some IE motor and trans mounts, maybe I can get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30ka View Post
                    is that just for welding, or you mean like "not flushing the tranny" type of thing?
                    Well, say you're doing a clutch job and accidentally drop the tranny break the mount, just weld it up.
                    In this case, I would be flushing it anyways.
                    My 2.9L Build!

Comment

BTW, yeah, I'll get all that thin atf out. I'm a redline MTL fan, even in the coldest of winters!

Comment

Working...
                      X