• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My very 1st garage in the background

^I've had two very useful carports FTW!

grain of salt:p

http://https://youtu.be/H8gOAzYchAE:ot:

Comment

here's the one my dad is building at his house...

it has a roof on it now, but I don't have any recent pictures. 2 post lift going in the right side bay

1991 318is ---230K - DD
      1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
      so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

That looks like it's gonna be awesome. I've always wanted a big detached shop like that. I really love the idea of Natural Light in the garage. Just knowing people can look in is a little alarming though.

I need your guys' opinion on how I should hang these lights. The garage is seriously lacking in the lighting department towards the front of the car... where I need light the most. Can't see shit under the hood, and I gotta do my spark plugs!

Pictures..

The lights - Hand me downs from my buddy. They'll do fine for now.

Picture of what i'm working with at the moment. Lots of space could be salvaged, I need to fit my 76 2002 in here with my iX. Completely doable.. maybe? Take note of the space above the cars, the ceiling kind of "vaults" where the garage door opener set up is. Being that the Garage Door opener set up is above the hood area of the car, makes things a bit confusing. Need ideas on where to mount these damn lights.

Closer shot of the overhead space.

Last edited by kid325e; 10-16-2014, 09:22 PM.
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Flip the car around and park nose in and mount the lights on the low section of the ceiling. You'll get better light on your work if the lights are mounted lower.
          sigpic
          Too many mods, so little space...

Comment

Originally posted by dewme5 View Post
            Got suckered years ago by my wife, and bought a single car garage home. So, that is permanent tool storage basically.

Fortunately, the house also came with a 2-car carport. Prior to having the house, I thought of carports as a poor mans garage, and well, it basically is. However, it is extremely useful! Cars stay cool in the summer, and dry in the rain. I also have 2 full time project locations if I so desire. Usually my wife gets one spot, I get the other for my project of the moment. For the money a carport costs, now I think it's the best bang for the buck!

Table usually isn't there. Near spot is wifes spot, unless I'm doing an engine swap or something where extra space is needed. Far spot is mine all the time, so I park my driver behind the project, and deal with a hot car.
            Don't see car ports in maine very often.

Comment

Transom windows along the roof line let in a great amount of natural light.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by L8 Apex View Post
                Flip the car around and park nose in and mount the lights on the low section of the ceiling. You'll get better light on your work if the lights are mounted lower.
                Agreed. Also, paint that ceiling white, it will reflect a ton of light and make it a lot brighter. Also, add moar lights.

I finished my garage this spring. Painted it a high gloss white and used the 100 lumens / sqft rule to drive my lighting plan. I ended up with around 120 lumens / sqft using T8 bulbs with 85+ CRI. People laugh when them come in to my garage "holy fuck this is bright." Then after 30-45 seconds, every single time, they stop and slowly say "ahhhh, yeah this is nice."

Dan

Comment

REALLY love having my cars backed into the Garage. Gives me more space to work around the bay, i'd really like to keep the car formation the way it is.

Looks like I need moar lights, and white paint. Frolf your set up looks great! Nice and clean!
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Nothing in mine bar the car im afraid, I keep it in an air chamber inside the garage:

sigpic
                    Russell A Macfarlane (30)
                    Dalgety Bay, Scotland
                    1987 BMW E30 316 4 Door Zinnobar Red

Comment

I guess you really do. lol

clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

This thread makes me sad now, because I don't have a garage anymore.

:(

Apartment life as a car enthusiast is Hell on Earth. Can't wait until I have a house again.

Comment

1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Basic and nothing fancy. Maybe some day...

Comment

Man this thread is making me wish I had an accessible garage (driveway that was less steep). The new lowered suspension is preventing me from getting to use the garage. One day I'll excavate and make it work with the H&Rs. Until then, I'll be working on this beast out in the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Jand3rson View Post
                                This thread makes me sad now, because I don't have a garage anymore.

:(

Apartment life as a car enthusiast is Hell on Earth. Can't wait until I have a house again.
                                When we were looking for a new place, ending up in an Apartment/Townhouse with no garage/sub par garage was my biggest fear. We got really lucky! I spent a LONG time without a garage. I feel your pain man, hoping you find that perfect spot soon! Your car deserves it.

Keeping the thread going. Been finding it hard to find time (yeah I know... so does everyone else.) after work to get things done. Made a promise to myself that I would spend at least 45min a night just getting things more organized/cleaned up then they were the previous visit.

Got this Parts Washer from HF a long time ago. Finally got fresh/new solvent from Motor Oil Supply - 50 Gallons seems to work fine, but i'm tempted to get another 50 Gallon bucket to throw in there. Got all my drain pans cleaned up, need to dispose of the waste oil, but that's where the empty 50 Gallon Solvent Bucket comes in handy.

As you can see, lighting is still ghetto... to say the least. Better than nothing though, so I can't complain. Should have the lighting somewhat dialed in this weekend. Got Sunday all to myself (HALLPASS!) so I plan to spend all day working in the garage. Need to do an Oil Service, Change my plugs, general detail, and rehang my Splitter.

Progress is progess!
                                clutchCTRL!
                                Move with a purpose.
                                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                                - 2000 323i AT
                                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Working...
                                X