1996 318 m42 in an e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 318 m42 in an e30

I have a line on an 96 m42 5 speed engine and transmission out of a wrecked car, would this be a straight forward swap? Any experience would be helpful.

Thanks friends

In 1996 they switched from OBD I to OBD II but it if was an m42 then it should work. (according to wiki)
    M3 springs w/bilstein hd's, IE 22/19mm sway bars, front IE stress bar, complete suspension rebuild, IS interior.
    Crew chief for BBQ2U Racing: James Crivellone, John Parker, Chris Anderson, Ben Wilson, George Howe, Will Kellog, Jim Cissell
    BBQ2U Racing, Best of Intentions Racing

Comment

why wouldnt you just buy an e30 with an m42 in it already....
      -alex
      i take pictures.

Comment

because I have found a wrecked one on the cheap......and I am trying to figure out if it is worth buying an e30 that needs an engine or just parting the thing out.

Comment

Fairly straightforward. m42 = OBDI M44 = OBD2
          tasty

Comment

Originally posted by s0urce View Post
            Fairly straightforward. m42 = OBDI M44 = OBD2
            what he said, make sure its a m42 and not a m44.

http://www.volkswagenjettacup.com/

Comment

Well 96+ they went OBDII if IIRC, so the OP is looking at an m44, which "could" be done. But it is definitely not worth it.

Comment

Its an m44, I guess I'm going to part it. Whats an m44 with 90 thousand miles, 5 speed, computer, driveshaft, and diff. worth?

Comment

I would think 800 to 1000.
                  sigpic
                  24v swapped

Comment

To bad you werent closer, I know someone who needs a m44 right now.

Comment

Bought it today.......m44 for sale 92 thousand miles

Comment

oh oops i misread this thread, i was thinking you were selling it. well congrats. there are a few threads on m42club.com about what you need to put it in a e30.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                          oh oops i misread this thread, i was thinking you were selling it. well congrats. there are a few threads on m42club.com about what you need to put it in a e30.
                          I am selling it.......

I have an m44 with 92 thousand miles with a 5 speed that was hit but didnt damage the driveline at all....I have a video of it running and will pull parts as I sell them. 1100 for engine, transmission, computer, precat 02 sensors, starter, intake manifold, shift linkage, power steering pump, injectors, oil pan, and wires/plugs etc. If you buy it for 1100 I will throw in everything for a 5 speed conversion. Make an offer on anything else you may need from a 97 318ti. Also has a California roof in great condition.......seats in great condition, diff....etc.

Comment

you can put a m44 in an e30 if you have a junk m42....
                            www.classicdaily.net
                            1970 m42 swapped 2002
                            1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                            https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Working...
                            X