Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running a "strong-stut" or "butt-strut"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running a "strong-stut" or "butt-strut"?

Is anyone running one of these?

If so, could you kindly give me the dimensions of it in a little drawing?

I'm pretty sure theres a review in the reviews sub forum.

Edit: Here it is: http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=52793
    If life passes you by... Downshift.

Comment

Looks like you should make a few there Darin! :)
      sigpic

Comment

No kidding. It's about $20 for the bar stock. All I need is a vise, torch and hammer and drill and I could fab one of those things up in an hour or so. I could easily fit one myself, but if someone is willing to measure their current one and give me the dimensions, I'll give you second one for free :)

EDIT: Has onyone put one of these on a heavily modded car? One with stiffer springs and bigger sway bars?

Comment

ill have to add that to the buy list for the summer ill let you know if it happens
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

hmm, theres a cheap and easy m3 upgrade for me! keep me posted darin.

Comment

The other thing is that this review is based on installation on a convertible only. If you've got a hard top, I doubt the butt strut would do you any good. Before I purchased mine I asked a few guys who had them what they thought about it. The only person that said it was a waste of money installed it on a hard top.
              Not that I care, of course.

Comment

Interesting!

Comment

I bought one of those off of craigslist awhile ago for my convertible. However, my car project has been put on the back burner so I haven't gotten it installed yet.

Before I bought it though, I did read alot of favorable reviews by both Z3 owners and e30 cabrio owners. If you're looking for info on it and user reviews then I'd search some of the Z3 message boards out there and possibly roadfly forums as well.

Anyway, my "butt-strut" is sitting up in my attic so later tonight, if I have time, I'll pull it down and give you some exact dimensions on it.

Comment

^awesome, thank you td325ic

Comment

Here ya go
                      I got a little carried away in Illustrator and spent way to much time on it for something so simple. Well I needed the practice anyway so it's no problem.

I'll try to get you some pics and dimensions of the mounting hardware soon. They are buried in a box somewhere so it may be a couple days before I discover them again.

I think I got all the dimensions that you'd need to create your own. Let me know if you need anything more.

Click the thumbs to Enlarge

This last one you should be able to print out on 8.5x11 paper and have an actual size reference to go by in order to create the bends of both sides.

-Todd

Comment

^ dude, you are fucking awesome! I will be working on a jig for manufacturing these this weekend. With some luck, I can start a GB soon for about 1/4 the price of those retail ones.

Comment

So, unbent its actually longer than 50 7/16's.
                          sigpic

Comment

can u make spice rack too?
                            Not that I care, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              ^ dude, you are fucking awesome! I will be working on a jig for manufacturing these this weekend. With some luck, I can start a GB soon for about 1/4 the price of those retail ones.
                              so will these be only for verts? Im looking into some bars for my hardtop... if yours will be made with some stronger sources, i am def. intrested. im sure i will have a friend who will buy too...

are you making front or back?

Comment

Working...
                              X