Need For Speed Underground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need For Speed Underground

So I got ahold of an unreleased beta demo. Thought you all might want my take on the game.

First off, and most importantly, the game is very similar to the original F&F. The drag mode is a one off of the scene with paul walker, draging vin diesel with some other cars. You know the one, where his 100th shot of NOS blows the welds on his intake manifold

The racing mode is alot more demanding from the user, and its alot more fun! You can powerslide/drift, knock opponents into oncoming traffic, and ride the booooooost till you get a bloody nose. The sounds in the game, the engine, tires, turbo whine, blowoff valve etc are all VERY well done, and believable as hell.

In drag mode the "handling" sucks, i kept trying to dart in and out and around cars, and all i did was crash into things. It took me awhile to realize the drag mode steers for you, all you have to do is tap left, and it finds its way 1 lane over provided nothing obstucts you. The drag mode lets you focus on shifting perfectly, and using up the ever precious N2O.

In curcuit racing mode, the handings is great. Much more like NFSPU and less like NFSHP2.

The graphics are outstanding, and acctually serve to make the ricy cars look decent. In this beta demo only several versions of a riced out 350Z were available to race with.

I took some screenshots for you guys, seen below.

All were taken on a P4 2.0GHz 512MB ram GeForce4 Ti4200. At 1024x768 max all details and quaility.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

The graphics these days are just getting better and better, and more and more life like. That means that the rice cars just look worse and worse as techonolgy progress. :down:
    I like the racing game that I have, Need for Speed 2 Hot Pursuit. It accually has real cars, not like thoes Hondas in the movie. But hey, if the game is fun, play it ;)

Comment

i just got NFS Porsche Unleashed last week, and i am blown away with the improvements over NFS High Stakes (i know i'm a little behind on the new releases). to me it doesnt get any better than NFS:PU for semi serious racing, i played hot pursuit2 and it didnt seem any better except for different cars and tracks. Porsche unleashed pretty much requires you to know how to powerslide and drift through turns to keep up, in other words mega understeer, which is my only complaint on it, every thing else kicks ass like evolution mode, test driver, auto-x, and the advanced telemetry settings all the way down to sway bar adjustments, tire pressure, exact gear ratios, damper settings, intercooler size, etc.

Comment

in the 5th pic there is a girl in lowrider jeans with a thong on... how realistic is that? :P

Comment

Graphics are not THAT bad, although lots of jaggies.

Other then needing a good dose of FSAA and Ansiostrophic filtering it does not look that bad.

sounds like I will have to look around and obtain a copy of it.

Comment

I think that jaggie from the first picture is actually a nipple
            Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

Originally posted by modifiede30
              I think that jaggie from the first picture is actually a nipple
              hahaha that is true, that is true. :)

Comment

I like how that in the 5th picture that their is really like 4 people, and the rest look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone

Other then needing a good dose of FSAA and Ansiostrophic filtering it does not look that bad.
                  The beta demo I have has no support for anything over 1024x768, nor does it support FSAA. I'm sure it will, its far from finished.

Originally posted by BrianF 88iS
                  I like how that in the 5th picture that their is really like 4 people, and the rest look the same.
                  Seeing as the people are only seen when the race is over (showing the placing in that picture) and on the side of the road as you get ready to launch from the starting line, I dont see that as something to fuss about.

Comment

I got it...Its pretty fun...at first it was hard as hell to control on the drag but then I got use to it...All in all, I might "get" it when it comes out. :shock:
                    -alex
                    i take pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                      Originally posted by James Crivellone

The beta demo I have has no support for anything over 1024x768, nor does it support FSAA. I'm sure it will, its far from finished.

Originally posted by BrianF 88iS
                      Seeing as the people are only seen when the race is over (showing the placing in that picture) and on the side of the road as you get ready to launch from the starting line, I dont see that as something to fuss about.

most games don't support FSAA/ansio in the game itself, I am sure you could prolly force AA on the game, at least with my radeon

Comment

You liked Burnout (2?) though, didn't you? That game sucks.

Porsche Unleashed was decent until I played GT3.

Comment

Yeah, O own Burnout2 for PS2, its a awsome acrade style racer. It wasnt meant to be lifelike physics. Once in awhile its nice to play a game with arcade physics.

Comment

Fair enough. It's just not my bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                              Yeah, O own Burnout2 for PS2, its a awsome acrade style racer. It wasnt meant to be lifelike physics. Once in awhile its nice to play a game with arcade physics.
                              What other game is out there giving points for mass carnage, i love that freakin game.

I'm just waiting for the 500 cars and 50 tracks worth of GRAN TURISMO 4 about 14 months away.

Until then, I'll just have to buy True Crime: Streets of LA to hold me over.

Whats the word of GTA4 (not vice city)?
                              Nick

87 325 5MT
                              02 IS300 5MT

Comment

Working...
                              X