New e30 - what mods for $300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New e30 - what mods for $300

Hey guys/gals. This is a little premature here because I haven't picked up my new e30 and formally introduced myself yet. The deposit is down but still waiting for my flight out to pick it up. However, my mom gave me $300 for my 30th birthday a few days ago and I'd like to spend it the best way possible on my new car. The car is pretty much set up the way I want it cosmetically and suspension-wise and I'm only interested in using this $300 now rather than save up for something better that costs more later. Also, I have a pretty busy year ahead of me and don't want to deal with difficult installs (i.e. camber kit, bushings, etc). With that said, what should I do. Here's just a few ideas I thought of, but I'm looking forward to hearing more from the regulars.

- Chip
    - CAI
    - Used header (not sure on price)
    - Exhaust muffler (currently has a new oem pipe)
    - Shifter/linkage upgrade

chip and short shift
    Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by devonjordan View Post
      chip and short shift

x2.. any leftover money, try to rebuild your shifter bushings/washers as well while you're at it.
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Do you know the maintenance history? If not, you may want to spend that $300 on preventative things. Ie: timing belt, fluid flush, etc.

Make sure everything is nice and tight before you drop money on modifications. Other than that, goodluck!

Comment

Definite +1 on the timing belt, water pump, & drive belt service

Comment

i would deffinatly get the chip

Comment

Michael, make sure the Tbelt water pump are good then worry about everything else, get it mechanically sound since this will be your DD then go mods, I would assume since the suspension is been done it has fresh rubber parts under it (all the bushings an ball joints) maybe even think of putting new tie rods up front or all fresh rad hoses (these are cheap an easy to do) Tstat lots of stuff that may or may not need attention depending on how the car was taken care of the last few years... Its hard to say with out looking at the car or seeing what has been done recently.

as for mods
              Chip, shifter, sway bars (since its already dropped), better brakes (pads an up graded stock size rotors) urethane bushings if not already done, Oh and different wheels yours just dont look right 8)
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Man, there's so many options here with this blank slate of a car. Good points on the preventative stuff. The fluids are a given and I don't need to budget for those. I think it does need a new head gasket because the owner said it has a small leak.

Here's what I'm currently thinking.

- Head gasket, dyno-chip-dyno
                or
                - What MrSleeve mentioned above about T-belt (if needed, I can't remember right now) and bushings

I've never gotten a baseline for any of my cars, so that would be a real treat to be able to do that since it'll be brand new to me with no money spent on previous mods.

Also, for just the shift linkage, I actually have all that (FREEBEE!!!) because at one point a few years ago I was in the middle of building a 2002 with an M54/Getrag 260 for power. Long story, yeah, didn't happen.

Comment

If you do the head gasket you will have to do the Tbelt service at the same time also a good time to put on fresh Intake gaskets and check over the heater hoses that run under the intake as they can be a Pain in the ass to change, so might as well while you are in there.. . Is the small leak an oil drip on the pass side in the front where the head meets the block??? If so its a e30 thing I have never had one that dose not drip a little oil at spot even with a fresh head gasket.

oh yeah I forgot to pay you for the linkage parts didnt I, oh well you can put em too good use now.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Use it for gas!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      If you do the head gasket you will have to do the Tbelt service at the same time also a good time to put on fresh Intake gaskets and check over the heater hoses that run under the intake as they can be a Pain in the ass to change, so might as well while you are in there.. . Is the small leak an oil drip on the pass side in the front where the head meets the block??? If so its a e30 thing I have never had one that dose not drip a little oil at spot even with a fresh head gasket.

oh yeah I forgot to pay you for the linkage parts didnt I, oh well you can put em too good use now.
                      Sounds like a lot of "while I'm in there" items. I have to really keep those to a minimum right now due to my spare time. I can always address those when I'm settled down a year from now. I don't know the exact location of the leak yet. I'll check it out closely when I pick it up.

Yeah, sorry I could actually put those parts to good use now. The seller even said the linkage bushings were one of the not so crisp areas of the car.

Comment

used nitrous kit!
                        84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

Working...
                        X