Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squeaking noise from driver rear side - Likely culprit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaking noise from driver rear side - Likely culprit?

I've noticed that my car makes a slight squeaking noise coming from the driver side rear of the car when ever I enter or exit the car. It is barely noticeable, but it's there.

I'll have to go thru my records to refresh my memory on what's been done.

I bought the car 20 months ago with 110K on it, and it just rolled 117K

The previous two owners took good care of the car and had everything serviced and replaced at the dealership, except oil changes which were done at the discount places.

I also noticed a slight creaking sound coming from the same area when stopping.

I took a look underneath and everything passes the visual test, including the shock mounts which I remember were replaced fairly recently and still look new.

Suspension is stock, but I remember a lot of things such as T-arm bushings were done at some point, and a few other things, but I'll have to check my records.

In the meantime, what would be the likely cause?

Other then that, the car doesn't squeak or rattle, so this is really bugging me.
    sigpic
    1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
    Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
    Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

it could be any or all of the following.
    sway bar bushings,shock mounts, trailing arm bushings maybe even subframe mounts but doubt it. it doesnt have to be poly to squeak.
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Hmm, gonna ask a friend, but maybe because the bushing or mounts are new they squeek?

Comment

It could very easily be your sway bar bushings. Also, your parking brake will squeak back there every time you get into or out of the car. Unless it is really obnoxious, I wouldn't worry about it.
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

my parking brake squeaks when entering or exiting the car. if it squeaks while moving, it might be the rear shock mount (an easy fix).

Comment

parking brake - "they all do that"
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

So if it is the P Brake, it would only squeak when exiting/entering the car if it were set?

I would assume so. I'll test it out after work.
              sigpic
              1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
              Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.

Comment

It's the shock mount, I just changed mine today. No more squeaky.

Quick job, only took about 15 minutes!

Comment

Yes check the shock mounts. They frequently fail.

Spend the extra money and buy some aluminum ones from Ireland engineering.

E30_Fiend
                  Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                  Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

It's the parking brake-as George said, they all do that. And not just E30's-my E36 M3 and a couple of my E46's did it too.
                    Eric Giles
                    '20 M2 CS
                    '04 M3
                    '11 X5 35D
                    '87 325is
                    '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Yea, I guess there is a fix for it (at least on newer bimmers, cause I remember talking to M3 Ryan, (he is/was a BMW dealer tech) and I remember him mention that customers would notice it and bring their e46(?) in to have it fixed.

No clue - I haven't touched the breaks on my e30 yet (damn pads are lasting forever and a day)
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Shock mounts were done replaced about 12K ago and look new. I read thru my recs last night and I will go over them today and post what's been recently replaced.

And if anyone knows the fix for the P Brake, please post it. Maybe it just needs an adjustment?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Cabrio View Post
                          Shock mounts were done replaced about 12K ago and look new. I read thru my recs last night and I will go over them today and post what's been recently replaced.

And if anyone knows the fix for the P Brake, please post it. Maybe it just needs an adjustment?
                          Not sure what the exact fix would be, since I have always lived with it and accepted that they will do that.

However, since the parking brake assembly is the most likely culprit, replacing all of the associated parts might fix it for a while. This would be replacing the parking brake shoes on each side, plus the rear rotors as the inside of the rotors is what the parking brake shoes come in contact with.
                          Eric Giles
                          '20 M2 CS
                          '04 M3
                          '11 X5 35D
                          '87 325is
                          '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

if your car is lowered its the shock mounts, even if they were replaced 12k miles ago, on a lowered cab stock ones go out real fast
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Suspension is stock and the shock mounts look like new and have about 12K on them.

It's the P Brake. When I got into the car at work to leave a few minutes ago, it squeaked. I got out, it squeaked. I released the P Brake, got in, got out, got in, no squeaking.

Does the self-adjuster work by backing up and applying the brakes on E30's? Or do they have to be manually adjusted by poking a flathead screwdriver in there and turning the adjuster?

Might shoot some WD-40 on the parts other then the shoes and drums to see if it resolves it.

The E30 P Brake looks like the standard P Brake design of most cars, using a smaller drum brake and drum brake shoes.

It probably also explains the slight "creaking" noise coming from the same area on starts and stops.

Thanks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X