painting shadowline
Collapse
X
-
-
ouch! my feelings!
first: remove all the trim except for the rear qtrs. (they are a pain because you have to remove the glass to reinstall the trim) and the sail panels (it is easy to break the retaining studs that are spot welded to the panel and you also must buy new retaining clips)
second: thoroughly sand them with 320 grit paper
apply a tack (light coat) of sem self etching primer, let dry, apply a second heavier coat, let dry.
third: take RED scotch brite and lightly scuff the newly primed parts
fourth: spray a light coat of sem trim black, let dry. now apply 3 more heavier coats. let dry in between each of the coats.
fifth: reinstall the newly blacked out trim
there, it gets no more thoroughly explained than that
gregLast edited by der affe; 05-23-2008, 06:34 PM.Leave a comment:
-
thank you mariano for a HELPFUL post unlike some of the other douchebagsLeave a comment:
-
Agree 100%. I painted it whilst on the car with tons of prepping and many coats while waiting a good time in between and that was 4 years ago. Not one chip. SEM flat black trim paint is GOD!Sorry Levent, but I beg to differ. If you prep properly and use the right products there is no reason it should chip. We did the 325is we bought my brother-in-law and the entire job is still fleck-free 6 months later. We sanded, cleaned, and used multiple coats of SEM trim paint. We also painted it off the car.
Tim
MarianoLeave a comment:
-
fair enough :) BTW: I missed the train.As mentioned the prep. is everything. Adam had another excellent point regarding using a specific black (etch) primer coat. I use Wurth trim black paint (and have for 15 years) which is still holding up very well on mirrors, grills and headlight trim rings. It has been close to 3 years with a car that stays parked outside for 90% of the year.
Adam, Ian and I are planning on a trim/shadowline day some time here in the future.Leave a comment:
-
As mentioned the prep. is everything. Adam had another excellent point regarding using a specific black (etch) primer coat. I use Wurth trim black paint (and have for 15 years) which is still holding up very well on mirrors, grills and headlight trim rings. It has been close to 3 years with a car that stays parked outside for 90% of the year.
Adam, Ian and I are planning on a trim/shadowline day some time here in the future.Leave a comment:
-
im painting my whole car and all the trim is already off. thats the reason why i asked. i have been using SEM self etching primer and trim paint. i ordered all new clips and all i asked is if i should paint with the roof trim on.Leave a comment:
-
The best way that I've found is to take your time. Take the trim off and sand the chrome (start at a higher grit 600, then go to medium finish grit). Then use a good dark primer (I use SEM self-etching). After primed, go ahead and make sure everything is still smooth; it you have a run or still has rough spot, sand the primer with a higher grit sand paper. Once your satisfied with that, tack all the dust/ dirt off of the trim and spray with SEM trim black. Do exactly as the SEM instructions say. Your shadow line will last forever... Again, I recommend new sail fin grommets (a few dollars from the dealer when putting the trim back on the body).
Or spray that sucker on with some Walmart Krylon... Masking tape is optional.Leave a comment:
-
I don't know why people haven't mentioned using the extra pre caution of using black primer/sealer? Definitely doesn't hurt.
After using SEM trim paint I definitely would like to try some thing different. I just don't like how it reflects water or how it seems to catch dust.Leave a comment:
-
it lasted two years on my old e30. i did it on the car and got some paint on the window lol.Leave a comment:
-
the originals were painted, so if properly done it should not be an issueLeave a comment:
-
i have to disagree with this as well. i painted mine ON THE CAR about 3 years ago, and only one section that i probably didnt sand as well started chipping after about 2 years. its all about prepping the surface well, and using the rite paint.
clean, sand, wipe down with acetone, paint with duplicolor high temp engine enamel semi-gloss black. looks great and lasts.Leave a comment:
-
I painted mine on.
Look great for 2 months, sure it would have lasted longer.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: