Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a 1984 318i for a friend...

I'm looking at a car for a friend.

Well, jsut by looking at it - it has a few exterior dents and whatnot, some pretty faded black paint (looks like the car was once red and was painted black).

I forgot to test shocks while I was there, so I can't mention on that.

The wheels aren't original, looks like they're steelies right now. TONS of cracks in the dash, my friend said it looked like the grand canyon - guess that's a good example (not really wide, jsut tons of them).

The odo says 157,000, but I can bet money that it's broken and is more. There are numerous dents on the driver's side, and a few fairly large ones. Window cranks look to be broken, dirver's side inside door knob is broken..

The sign says 1000 obo. I seem to think just be looking at it, that it is DEFINATELY not worth $1000. If the engine is in good running condition, I'd say maybe $650. But, I still need to get inside and see how well it runs.

What are some things I should check out on this car? I will be asking for records, checking the basic things - all the stuff I can think of.

As long as this car runs well, and everything works - it should be fine. They are really tight on money, and all they need is something to get them around.

Not sure if this is the best choice or not, so I'd thought I'd ask. I'm guessing the I4 engine in it pumps out around 100 hp? Thankfully it is a manual, so it won't be as bad as an auto. :p

And, yes, I know the rear brakes are drums.

Let me know! :D

Thanks.
    - Sean Hayes

Yeah, basically a $650 car isn't going to be a reliable daily driver unless you get lucky. But 84 318i's can take a beating and still get around.

Check the regular stuff. The idle system gets messed up frequently, make sure it warms up properly and idles right even with the a/c on. See if it overheats with at idle or at speed. See if it misses. There isn't too much other 84 318i specific stuff.

Oh, and there is no timing belt to worry about. :)

Comment

Yeah. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the tips. :D
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Where are you located as I have an 84 318i for under $1000 that is in better shape than this one.
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

In Boise, ID. Just a little wase away. ;-)

Too bad too..
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
          X