Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS jack compartment in trunk keeps filling with water!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS jack compartment in trunk keeps filling with water!!

The PO replaced the taillight gaskets, and I see a thin line of rust on the driver's side under the trunk opening lip, where there appears to be a boxed section forming a channel under the opening. the jack compartment FILLS with water, and the only place I see where it could be obviously getting in is about a 1" gap in the top half of the trunk lid gasket itself (like the top of the gasket "tube" was torn off), right in the center where the lock is. Thing is, this is under the lip of the trunk lid itself, and it "looks" like it would hit the lid, and drain off the edge onto the rear bumper. is it instead following the line of the closed trunk and seeping into this gap in the gasket? anyone seen this before? I was going to get some RTV and try to rig a patch type deal for the area, see if that works before springing for a new seal....

Check the grommet that sits around the antenna mast. A leak there can also fill the jack area with water.
    Eric Giles
    '20 M2 CS
    '04 M3
    '11 X5 35D
    '87 325is
    '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Im having the same problem, but I replaced the antenna grommet and taillights, it helped a little. The water seems to be coming from the back of the trunk for some reason. Since i have the Hardtop on for now, I know its not a issue with the convertible, could it be leaking from anywhere else? I probably need to stuff a small person in the trunk with a flashlight and hit it with a hose.

Comment

do you park at a incline so that water collects in the corners of the trunk seals?
        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
          do you park at a incline so that water collects in the corners of the trunk seals?

nah its sitting more or less level. once i get the engine oil leak fixed ("pipe" running between block and intake mani) it will move to driveway, but by that time it will probably be getting hit by snow, not rain. the thing that is clear is that there is that line of light rust that shows from that boxed "channel" just inside the trunk, above the taillights. is it true that area (jack compartment) should be draining anyway? i didnt see any obvious drains, and was considering drilling my own but thought I should fix the leak rather than create another rust opportunity...

Comment

Check the aforementioned antenna, runk, and taillight eals. I've also seen some sunroof drains that are rusted out on the inside and drain into the jack or battery well. I have no idea how to fix that, though.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Check to see if the tube for the sunroof drains came off the trunk vents. They often pop off as only friction holds them on.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                Check to see if the tube for the sunroof drains came off the trunk vents. They often pop off as only friction holds them on.
                seconded.

wifes eta had a hole in the lip of the trunk that was hidden by the seal. sealed it with putty and that stopped. now its leaking on the passenger side, on to the shelf that covers the battery. im gonna be pissed if the m3 has leaks like her car does.

worst case pop a hole into the trunk well to let it drain.

Comment

Yup, my car does the same thing. The trunk vents no longer seal to the car.

Just drilled a hole.
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

mine appears to clearly be draining from that upper area just under the lip. id rather fix the problem than create another one (future rust spot around hole). im heading out later ... will take pics.

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
                      mine appears to clearly be draining from that upper area just under the lip. id rather fix the problem than create another one (future rust spot around hole). im heading out later ... will take pics.

OK, duh pics:

any thoughts?
                      Attached Files

Comment

i have the same problem but i dont have the water puddling issue

since the rust ate a gaping hole through the metal

its all rotting there now :(

Comment

Clean the "gummy" areas, those are the trunk drains.
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                          X