OT Engine help (non bmw)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT Engine help (non bmw)

Thought I would post here for shits and giggles, maybe someone has some good experience building engines.

Mu buddy has an 05 Neon SRT4 ACR that he built up the past 3 months or so, redid the whole motor.

We go to fire it up today, and all it does it crank, sounds weird almost like the timing belt is snapped but doesn't spin as fast (no the belt isn't snapped)

We have fuel, we have spark. Timing has been checked about 9 times now. We went to check the compression and its fucked.

Cyl 1 has about 50psi, 2 is dead, 3 went up to 15psi then bled out right away, 4 had 100psi.

We ran out of time to do a leakdown to see where its going. But the best guess right now is the HG isn't seated down or is fucked up somehow. Either that or the valves are sticking.

Bottom end he build, I don't know what would be wrong there. And a reputable shop built the head up, all he did was install the cams (which seem to be in just fine, the exhaust and intake weren't mixed up at all) Theres no adjustments for the valves.

Just wondering if anyone had some bright idea on what we should go after. Probably going to pop the head of tomorrow and see whats up, but time is a factor.
    Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

sounds like the HD isn't seated at all...
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

HD? You mean HG?

Block was decked and the head is basically new so it shouldn't be a surface problem. Unless the gasket just didn't go in right I can't figure out why it would be like that.

Comment

timing belt

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
        click here for details

Comment

Originally posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
          timing belt
          drrr? I can clearly see its not snapped... and its timed correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by equate975 View Post
            HD? You mean HG?

Block was decked and the head is basically new so it shouldn't be a surface problem. Unless the gasket just didn't go in right I can't figure out why it would be like that.
            It's a dodge. :D

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by equate975 View Post
              HD? You mean HG?
              yea I meant HG, hehe
              1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

That has a MLS HG, correct? Possible that an alignment dowel is missing, causing the head to not sitting on correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Inc View Post
                  That has a MLS HG, correct? Possible that an alignment dowel is missing, causing the head to not sitting on correctly?
                  Yeah, I know for sure the dowels were in there because the machine shop that decked the block didn't put them back in.

I watched him put the head on, and nothing looked strange about it. Unless one of the layers shifted over or something, or the rivet that held them together came off for some reason.

Comment

Rings? Head gasket? Valves not seating?

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                    MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                    | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

did he put the cam in after he bolted up the head? if so possible bent valves from not timing the cam before he installed, so when he did tighten the cam it pushed valves into pistons bending them enough to loose compression. good luck, id do a leakdown test then rip the head off.

Comment

Originally posted by FLUTE007 View Post
                        did he put the cam in after he bolted up the head? if so possible bent valves from not timing the cam before he installed, so when he did tighten the cam it pushed valves into pistons bending them enough to loose compression. good luck, id do a leakdown test then rip the head off.
                        Cam not installed properly?
                        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

With funky compression numbers like that, the head is gonna have to come off anyways.

Comment

I still go with timing off.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
                            click here for details

Comment

My vote is for bent valves...

Just a guess...

Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X