Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recieved my el-cheapo ebay short shifter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recieved my el-cheapo ebay short shifter!

It is a B&M style "race" shifter meaning it has the blue anodized "ERK" thing that raises the pivot ball (thats the B&M part) and no rubber isolator in the shifter itself (the "race") part.

Seems decent enough if you were indeed going to use it in a race car like it is, but I only purchased it for the anodized riser piece, and plan to use a Z4 or X5 3.0 shifter in place of the solid ebay shifter. HOPEFULLY the pivot balls are the same size.

This one, if i installed it, would rattle and vibrate like hell since there is a definite gap between the shifter and pivot ball itself (they are a two-piece assembly). for a true race car probably nobody would care, and the rattling is probably fixable with a thin bushing or washer between the circlip and pivot ball, OR by taking it apart, smearing some epoxy on the shifter shaft, then putting the pivot ball back on it.

The pivot ball is nice and tight in the riser "cup" thing itself, and HOPEFULLY its the same size or close enough to the BMW sized balls (HEH :P)

ps this was like $25 on ebay, while you cant even buy the UUC ERK seperately anyway (comes with $160 DSSR kit or their EVO SSK which is like $300).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by robspeed325i; 12-03-2008, 09:09 PM.

My friend bought the emo shift kit off ebay for his civic and when he was "slammin" gears his shifter snapped and slit his wrist.

Comment

I had one. it lasted @ a year and a half with no problems. I would spend the dough on the z3m shifter though.
      Yours truly,
      Rich
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Rigmaster
      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyG View Post
        My friend bought the emo shift kit

emo?

like i said, im just going to use the riser cup for the same reason B&M and UUC use them.

now i just gotta decide whether to get Z4 or x5 shifter...

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
          emo?

like i said, im just going to use the riser cup for the same reason B&M and UUC use them.

now i just gotta decide whether to get Z4 or x5 shifter...
          Broke and slit his wrist, hence the emo.
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
            Broke and slit his wrist, hence the emo.

ahahaha! funny! =p

Comment

well, not really. I'm pretty happy with my Z4 shifter, but the height of the knob is very low.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

i know that some guys are removing the stick from that and sticking them directly in the oe bushing

Comment

Originally posted by BMWLA View Post
                  i know that some guys are removing the stick from that and sticking them directly in the oe bushing

that is good to know, that the OE shifter pivot ball will fit!! And hmm, i do NOT want a low shifter... ima have to read the shifter FAQ thread again...

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
                    that is good to know, that the OE shifter pivot ball will fit!! And hmm, i do NOT want a low shifter... ima have to read the shifter FAQ thread again...
                    Ask dccolegrove I know he was talking about them something with the angle and something about modifiying the clips he said they were kind of crap tho

Comment

My Z4 is pretty low too, but I am OK with that. I suppose it is because I have such long arms.

I know a higher lever will make for a quicker shift. I would be curious how well that little monkeyfucker works.

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        My Z4 is pretty low too, but I am OK with that. I suppose it is because I have such long arms.

I know a higher lever will make for a quicker shift. I would be curious how well that little monkeyfucker works.
                        some guys seem to like them short

Comment

Working...
                        X