How much better would an e30 M3 be than my 87 325is?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • clydesdale
    replied
    Well, I did get some useful info from this thread, thanks. What kind of added maint is involved in the m3 over the 325is? Were the motors that much less reliable?
    For those that said test drive one - you are aware that they are hard to find? I can't just easily test drive one. Therefore it is much easier to gather some info on the net and determine whether or not it is worth pursuing. I LOVE the look of them. But, I would want to drive it, not have a garage queen. My original question pertained to whether or not the DRIVE is worth the extra 10-15k over a 325is. I acknowledge the prestige and history but I am curious about the drive. I realize that I need to get behind the wheel of one to really know. But, they are not easy to just go and test drive.
    So what makes them so much more expensive to maintain than the 325is.
    I have had my 325is for 6 years and have put 50k on it. It has 249k miles on it. It is plenty reliable for a daily driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • Old'n'Slow
    replied
    Originally posted by blunt
    "And the S14 requires near constant fiddling to keep it happy, unlike the M20."

    you must have something on its last legs. i know tons of guys who change oil and filters and beat on their s14's. hell, i know avi, who maintained his s14 with a putty knife and it never quit. they are expensive motors and by their nature will require more frequent rebuilds but i find them a pretty stout motor
    There's running, and then there's the state of tune the makers had in mind. I was speaking of the latter.

    Trust me. Mine is [b]not[/] on its last legs. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    Originally posted by dlmrun2002
    If only 2002's came with S14 motors....Then what Philly Blunt??? Nice mention in Roundel by Mike Self on your car and its B I G lights...
    Doug M NY :drink: M2
    where was that? i didnt see it. is it this months?

    Leave a comment:


  • dlmrun2002
    replied
    M2's

    If only 2002's came with S14 motors....Then what Philly Blunt??? Nice mention in Roundel by Mike Self on your car and its B I G lights...
    Doug M NY :drink: M2

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    Originally posted by Old'n'Slow
    Almost. The castor also comes from the way the front axle is designed. You cannot approach it with offset bushings. The early M3s (like mine) didn't have offset bushings when stock, but still had triple the castor! Can't be effectively duplicated without the right parts.



    True, but the rigidity from the bonded glass makes the car feel way lighter.

    All in all, I love my E30 M3, but after a long drive on the freeway, I'm ready to get out. But on the Dragon on a beautiful spring morning.....different story altogether.

    And the S14 requires near constant fiddling to keep it happy, unlike the M20. 300K from a motor without 2 or 3 costly rebuilds? Fugedaboudit.
    "And the S14 requires near constant fiddling to keep it happy, unlike the M20."

    you must have something on its last legs. i know tons of guys who change oil and filters and beat on their s14's. hell, i know avi, who maintained his s14 with a putty knife and it never quit. they are expensive motors and by their nature will require more frequent rebuilds but i find them a pretty stout motor

    Leave a comment:


  • TDE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    You mean s42 e36? Oh you mean e30 m3 w/11k redline m42.

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by Old'n'Slow
    ...

    And the S14 requires near constant fiddling to keep it happy...
    I agree 100%...

    Except I'd say "almost happy"

    Leave a comment:


  • Old'n'Slow
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    what is so different about the suspension?

    Same mcpherson design in the front. same trailing arms in the rear. the only differences are extra track width, the swaybar attatchment in the front, and offset cabs for more caster, all of which are very simple (and common) narrowbody mods.
    Almost. The castor also comes from the way the front axle is designed. You cannot approach it with offset bushings. The early M3s (like mine) didn't have offset bushings when stock, but still had triple the castor! Can't be effectively duplicated without the right parts.

    Originally posted by nando
    the weight - not really much lighter, if any. Most E30s will fall in the 2600-2750 range, and it's not hard to shed 200lbs without completely gutting the car.
    True, but the rigidity from the bonded glass makes the car feel way lighter.

    All in all, I love my E30 M3, but after a long drive on the freeway, I'm ready to get out. But on the Dragon on a beautiful spring morning.....different story altogether.

    And the S14 requires near constant fiddling to keep it happy, unlike the M20. 300K from a motor without 2 or 3 costly rebuilds? Fugedaboudit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stephen
    replied
    nah you guys got it all wrong, eta Powered M3

    Chipped of course

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    You mean s42 e36?
    Gee...

    Thanks...

    I mean an M42...Easy upkeep.

    Leave a comment:


  • kenika65
    replied
    Originally posted by DCColegrove
    My better would be an m42 powered M3...

    There is one on m42club.com

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    You mean s42 e36? Oh you mean e30 m3 w/11k redline m42.

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    The e30 was designed from the ground up around the m10 so right out the box they "ballace" best in that configuration...

    The M3 was an amazing car... But just my take on it is that they really weren't meant for the street... The S14 is a cantankorus power-plant at best and requires a bizarre amount of maintenance.

    It really is comparing apples and oranges though...

    My better would be an m42 powered M3...

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien
    watching law & order stoned make you say that?

    That's my job.

    Leave a comment:


  • kenika65
    replied
    All I have to say is driving an M3 is like driving and M3 and driving a regular e30 is well like driving a regular e30

    Leave a comment:

Working...