-- ideas/recommendations --

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-- ideas/recommendations --

looking to put some money and effort back into my 318is ...have around 750 to spend...need some ideas for what to do...

i know there's the exhaust, flywheel, paint job, rims, chip, intake, ect...

but what to do first!!

i have fairly nice looking basket weaves but i just hate the size of the actual tires...looks so stock...so i would like rims, but a paint job would be nice, but then...maybe making it faster would be good also...what to do!! help!

The first order of things in my opinion is maintenance and keeping what there is is good condition... Take care of any of these issues first.

A light flywheel on the M42 is a pretty good bang for the buck. http://bmwzenperformance.com/m42-fly...onversion.html

Comment

Maintenance is key.

Then I would do chip, exhaust, and flywheel, and anything else engine performance related all at once. It's the only way you can feel anything. Stock intake is good, don't change it.

Then paint, then rims.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
      PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

maintenance is in progress...been doing some work to the engine...replaced timing belt, water pump, and a top engine rebuild...

chips: dinan,conforti, ebay?

and is it true that a simple super turbo muffler is an adequate quick fix for the m42 exhaust system?

oh..and what should i expect to pay in the way of the flywheel conversion..i really feel that to be necessary...
        Last edited by matt40567; 01-24-2009, 03:44 PM. Reason: uninformed info

Comment

Have you done anything to the suspension yet? A good set of tires and sturdy suspension system will be the best upgrade in my opinion.
          -tim
          Originally posted by Jordan
          I like the stance
          -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by matt40567 View Post
            maintenance is in progress...been doing some work to the engine...replaced timing belt, water pump, and a top engine rebuild...

chips: dinan,conforti, ebay?

and is it true that a simple super turbo muffler is an adequate quick fix for the m42 exhaust system?

oh..and what should i expect to pay in the way of the flywheel conversion..i really feel that to be necessary...
            I like Steve Dinan's chips not as possibly destructive as hotter chips.

I don't really know how much the flywheel conversion will cost you but a guess is something like $500 if you use a used flywheel and starter and do the work your self.

Originally posted by britishbmw View Post
            Have you done anything to the suspension yet? A good set of tires and sturdy suspension system will be the best upgrade in my opinion.
            This is true... Chassis and suspension shouldn't be overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by britishbmw View Post

yea...H&R cupkit. seems to do the trick quite well...and you all can hate me for if if you want..but i feel that mine is clean and attractive: volvo lip..

also did a two tone brown black interior.

Comment

chip

exhaust

flywheels

you can get things for a cheaper but these are all topnotch products, and i like turner motor sports a lot. i have bought things from them in the past for my car and have been very happy with their shipping and service.
                sigpic
                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

feeling the chip...

now...exhaust or flywheel...that flywheel has to make a world of a diff...i wanna punch whoever designed that dual mass right in the bloody kisser...30 frigggin pounds!! what an idiot

any links for cheaper flywheels? although that one is pretty nassssy

Comment

flywheel
                    BMW Lightweight Aluminum Flywheels for high performance street and racing

you are not going to find a nice exhaust for anything less then $500 unless it is used
                    you should give turner a call and see what is involved in the installation of that flywheel and if it comes with any of the hard ware needed to install it. thats the bad thing about cars. they cost money. good chips always run about $250, good exhausts are always around $500, and fly wheels are always between $500-$600.
                    if you want to save money take your time and try and find some used stuff.
                    post up on the wanted to buy section of r3v
                    Last edited by deutschman; 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM.
                    sigpic
                    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

thanks man...i feel it shall be quite an install...i can only imagine the performance increase though...maybe once my dads 02 540i quits out i will install that beast...(i wish)

Comment

hahahaha!
                        fo sho. m42's can be very fun you know...
                        sigpic

Comment

i hope so man...i really have the itch right now...forums everyday...youtube when suitable..in the garage every night...my garage recently added air....go the whole air tool set...bad...ass...

Comment

scorpion exhaust is good off ov bavauto.com only 400. mark d chips are good. i agree with what was said above though. a good suspension would make a world of difference
                            PNW CREW

1990 325is
                            Scorpion exhaust
                            K&N intake with signature motoring heat shield
                            H&R race with bilstien sports
                            D-Force wheels/Hankook Ventus RS-2's

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                              I like Steve Dinan's chips not as possibly destructive as hotter chips.
                              From what I've seen, I wouldn't agree with this statement. I've seen the Conforti, Dinan, and MarkD chips compared back to back on a relatively stock e30 M3, and from that, I would never use Dinan chips. Not only was it the least in terms of horsepower gains, it was pinging throughout the higher rpms, which the other two chips did not. It had a knock sensor hooked up too so it was not a 'I think I heard it' kinda thing.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

Working...
                              X