last year of college means it's time to save my car for good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last year of college means it's time to save my car for good

Well I have been drivng my car more than ever now that I got a g/f and started an off-campus internship. i've put 1.5k miles on my car already in the last 2 months. I used to avg. 2k miles per year over 7 years.
    What I'm trying to say is that a car this old and in as good as shape as mine should not be used as a daily driver. I'm dreading the winter in my e-30. (never since I got the car when 7 yrs ago..did it see winter.) I'll get out of about 3-4 months of winter driving.
    So that will be good enough. But there will be times my car actually drives on snow. I'll be driving my car untill my internship is over dec 31st. Then it's garaged till april 25th (easter break).

Anyways my long term plans are to keep my car forever. I'm possibly heading to fla. after I graduate college in may. I have a place waiting for me there in west PB, so I can't turn it down. I'm not sure tho cos I am accepted into grad school locally here in Pa. But I can always apply to grad school in fla.
    So with those Q's the air...My "e-30 saving plan" is going to have to take immediate effect. I have garage space for my e-30..that's not a problem.
    My current plan is to buy a "new beater" car...aka a 2004 hyundai tiburon gtv6. This will provide me with a daily driver car that is only 20k and is good enough to not bore me while saving my prized E-30. As soon as I sign a job contract this plan will go into effect.
    Am I insane? possibly. All I know is that I love my E-30 and I want to reduce it's role to permant garage queen status..coming out only for sunday afternoon drives. This is what I see long term in the future with my E-30. It WILL happen.

This summer a new leather interior is going to happen with SS, rear apron, and some other "goods". 8)
    Anyone have similiar plans for your E30???

ttyl:
    here's my baby with my dad's m3:

ps: I'll be at that Philly meet whenever it is

1500 miles evenly over 2 months is nothing, it's not gonna hurt your car. I don't even think my driving 3000 mi. over just 7 weekends (17 or 18 total days of actual driving) in 2 months is a lot. some people drive 2500 every 3 weeks just commuting to work in their E30s. Brew recently took his 302K mi 325e off the road, and he ran that car hard, without the benefit of replacing the engine or new parts whenever he felt like it.

Not wanting to drive your E30 in the winter is one thing, but no matter how shitty Hyundai's are, there's no such thing as a $20K, 2004-model "winter BEATER".
    Maybe instead you should spend $2K on a real "winter beater" and the other $18K on gold-plating your entire E30.

Comment

While I respect your desire to keep the car pristine, you need to look at it rationally....
      Its an E30, there are TONS of these cars, and the potential for it to increase in value in the future is slim to none imho. Drive it, use it, fix it.
      If you had an Alpina C2.7 and it was in the same shape, I could understand garage queen...

and a $20k tiburon isnt a beater. Its a cheap piece of crap import. If you're going to spend $20k on a beater, buy something that is worth while... GTI VR6, e36 M3, etc.

Make it a 5 speed though so you can finally learn.
      Below the radar...

Comment

I don't think your crazy Jim. I think my situation is worse than yours. I used to have a 92 Ford Taurus as a daily beater until that died. Now I am forced to use my E30 whenever I go. I use it to deliver pizza :( , drive to my other job, drive to school, and leisure driving of cousre. I don't mind driving it a lot, except when i drive it to deliver pizzas. That really pisses me off.....can't wait to graduate college and get a real job.

George
        P.S. I am looking forward to checking your car out at the GTG.

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Comment

A e36 M3 a beater?? sheesh. If I had 1 used as a daily driver i would clean it like I clean my car..any bimmer for that matter..once u get hooked ur crazy like me. I thought about buying a $2k beater..but it could break..etc. The hyundai tiburon would be a good beater since it is new and has a good warranty. And the fact it's not a bmw would make me not care about the cosmetics of it. I know that for a fact. I love bimmers and clean my dad's M3 and my bro's 535is just cos I don't like to see em' not clean.
          the tiburon..if i was going to clean it i would take it thru a drive-thru car auto car wash..and have those ppl dry it off.. that's all i would do 8)
          the tiburon would last a long time as a beater..atleast 6 years..that's what I'm looking for. anyone else think long term about saving ur e-30?
          The main reason I do what I do with my car is the fact tht it was my first car @ age 16, and the fact that my best freind who passed away loved it and drove it. It's sentimental value...end of story. I WILL never get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by OOMPH!
            I don't think your crazy Jim. I think my situation is worse than yours. I used to have a 92 Ford Taurus as a daily beater until that died. Now I am forced to use my E30 whenever I go. I use it to deliver pizza :( , drive to my other job, drive to school, and leisure driving of cousre. I don't mind driving it a lot, except when i drive it to deliver pizzas. That really pisses me off.....can't wait to graduate college and get a real job.

George
            P.S. I am looking forward to checking your car out at the GTG.
            Pizza delivery in an e30 isn't too bad, the only part that sucks is when people look at the car and balk at giving you a tip.

I've been thinking of finding a mid 80's civic for like 300 bucks and going the pizza route again to supplement income.

-Charlie
            Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
            FYYFF

Comment

whats the point of owning a car if you don't drive it?
              take my M3 for example... it was my only car for 18 months, and I put 30k miles on it in that time. I lke driving, espically in my M3, and I don't see why you shouldn't drive your car.
              Now that have a "beater" ('85 325E) I don't drive my M3 much anymore, but it doesn't mean it just sits.
              Buy a 5k Toyota Truck, it won't break down, and you will have plenty of money left to invest for later use on your nice E30.

Just my 2 cents of course.
              '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
              '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
              '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
              iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
              sigpic

Comment

-Charlie
                Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                FYYFF

Comment

Hey bro, I hope you can make it to FL. It'll sure be awsome to have another one nearby!
                  Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                  EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                  FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                  NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                  Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                  ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Working...
                  X