Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabrio owners: What did you as a hoist for your hardtop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabrio owners: What did you as a hoist for your hardtop?

I'm planning to get some parts to build a hoist to lift and store my hardtop.

I was wondering if anyone else made their own and had any tips/tricks they could pass my way to make life easier for installing/removal of the hard top.

Thanks.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Well, I loosen the attachment points, get inside the car, grab the top handles, make like I'm doing a squat in the back seat, then lift the hardtop with it balanced on my head, step outside the car very carefully so I don't damage the top or the car, still balanced on my head, once I have enough space to move around, I lower the hardtop so that it rests on my back so I look like a ninja turtle, then slowly lower it so the top is sitting just on the metal pins resting on the ground. Yeah, I'm a loser so I usually have to install and remove the top myself.
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

whered u guys manage to find a hard top?
      sigpic

Comment

Well, I loosen the attachment points, get inside the car, grab the top handles, make like I'm doing a squat in the back seat, then lift the hardtop with it balanced on my head, step outside the car very carefully so I don't damage the top or the car, still balanced on my head, once I have enough space to move around, I lower the hardtop so that it rests on my back so I look like a ninja turtle, then slowly lower it so the top is sitting just on the metal pins resting on the ground. Yeah, I'm a loser so I usually have to install and remove the top myself.
        If I tried this technique I'd probably would end up in the hospital

whered u guys manage to find a hard top?
        I bought my hardtop and it came with a free car! =)

Comment

EBAY has them. plus the have a kart one. Due to me need other things first..I just store it in the corner of my garage on cardboard box for now.

Comment

How much do the garage hoist systems go for? I can't imagine you'll save much money over just buying one.

Comment

Well I can get most of the parts at a local marine shop and buy a hand winch too.

I was hoping to get some advice on how people secured the hardtop to lift it.

Comment

just get a friend to help you move it and buy a stand for the summer...not that hard
                AW 89' 325i Vert - SOLD

Comment

I have a stand sitting in a box but I would like to be able to take the hardtop on and off without assistance.

Comment

didnt they make an oem stand for the hardtop?

BavAuto ~ Bilstein ~ BBS ~ Scorpion ~ MarkD ~ Prolumen

Have you hugged a corner today?

'89 335iC (M30) - summer
                    '17 Mazda3 - winter

Comment

This is what I did for my Mercedes... (Sorry no E30 content but the same principals should apply)

$70 winch from Harbor Freight

Built my own frame ~$50 in raw materials and a little know how...

Off the car..

I have a hard top stand that I bought ('cause I'm lazy) to store it on.

Oh yeah, the ball is so my wife can park her truck in the garage w/o hitting anything....

I don't like the sling type lifts as they have a tendancy to put a lot of pressure on the window gaskets and can crease them... Getting them installed correctly is tougher too.
                      Last edited by Roberte; 03-10-2009, 01:32 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

mines sitting in the backyard. :loco:
                        i will get my moms g35 and monkey stomp your ass she has a k&n air filter your sr20det on 20 lbs cant fuck with it

Comment

Thanks Roberte!!

I really like that solution you have and my guys can weld it up pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                            awesome post, i just visualized this move. You were Donotello, hope you didn't want to be Raph.

Hardtops are so freaking expensive, I doubt I will ever manage to obtain one.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                            If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
                              Thanks Roberte!!

I really like that solution you have and my guys can weld it up pretty quick.

Glad to be some help. :up:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X