Cosworth 190E 2.3-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosworth 190E 2.3-16

Stumbled across a set of 2.3 Cosworths recently. My dad used to race a 190e in the 80's in a stock class, so I was thinking on restoring one of these to original in his memory.
    So Ive been looking around, and for a car considered to be the arch rival of the M3, they certainly don't have anything close of a cult following like the M3 does. You would think that due to them being harder to come by in the US, (only 1900) they would bring in more money. But they seem to be much cheaper to get ahold of than the M3.

Did the M3 completley kill any chances the 2.3 had to earn collector status? Any cool pics, stories, history on these cars you want to share. Post it here.
    -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
    2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Great cars, on my wishlist. There are followers.

Check out Paul at autokennel.com He had two nice ones for sale.
    sigpic
    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

2.3 16's are great cars.

With that said, 4 door cars have a really hard time competing against 2 door cars when it comes to collectability.

The only exception seems to be a e28 m5 vs e24 m6's.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1106882172.html

This seems to be a good buy. It's located in a affluent neighborhood. Chances are it's been very well maintained. A comparable
      e30 m3 would bring 18k easily.

Cris
      Last edited by .cj.; 04-04-2009, 06:31 PM.
      The rides-
      '68 Camaro- 511hp 388cid, Tremec 5 speed, Baer Brakes, Hotchkis suspension, 18" Budniks, Recaro seats
      '73 2002- Metric Mech. 2200 efi, 5 speed, 3.90 lsd, G/C suspension, 17" BBS LM's, Recaro interior
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792851
      http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=2812
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Comment

autokennel.com seems to be dead. Not many of these cars around.
        -Jay

Comment

The success of the E30 M3 in various touring car series no doubt effected the prices and the following of the 190E, but I think a lot of the reason you don't see so many of them is due in part to their relatively low production numbers compared to the E30 M3.

They seem like very cool cars, back when AMG wasn't a trendy add-on badge, but a serious tuning house.

It's amazing to see the range of prices with the 2.3-16's, I've seen some as low as $4k and some minty examples fetching over $10k, far from E30 M3 prices.
          - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
          E36 325i sedan
          E30 325i sedan
          Volvo 945T

Comment

Originally posted by .cj. View Post
            2.3 16's are great cars.

With that said, 4 door cars have a really hard time competing against 2 door cars when it comes to collectability.

The only exception seems to be a e28 m5 vs e24 m6's.

This seems to be a good buy. It's located in a affluent neighborhood. Chances are it's been very well maintained. A comparable
            e30 m3 would bring 18k easily.

Cris

If I had money...it would be sold.

This place is like catholic school, 2/3 of the students smoke weed on a daily basis, but the faculty seems to convince the outside world that drugs are just in the other schools, the resident pot dealer thinks he's cool because he has the originality to call anyone he doesn't like a homosexual, and most of the little children follow him like sheep, then there's the few with brains, you hardly ever hear from them, perhaps don't even know they exist, but they get all the sh!t done.

Comment

sick.

Comment

Dive one and you'll see why.

Sure, the cosworth head flows air like the E30 M3 one can only dream about, but holy shit does their handling suck.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

190's are ugly piles, that's why they don't have any value.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post

Sure, the cosworth head flows air like the E30 M3 one can only dream about, but holy shit does their handling suck.
                    Have you driven one with a proper set of bilsteins and springs? I had a w201 that had a pretty basic H&R cup kit, no bars or otherwise and it handled like a dream.

I do agree that its not as tossable as an e30, but if you're really wanting to compare apples to apples, the w201 chassis's are quite a bit stiffer than an e30, especially for a 4d00r saloon.

Anyways... spool-up some old school DTM videos of these two 'Marques goin' at it in the fatherland, and either car will get your blood flowin' watching the drivers and cars do what they do best! RACE.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

this vid will make any e30 m3 fan smile from ear to ear... listen to the induction noise...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by sennasixty8; 04-04-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Want more Top Gear? Visit the official Top Gear channel: http://bit.ly/TopGearWWTop GearWhether you’re searching for a caravan challenge, Ken Block in the Ho...

Just after the Corrado, he talks about the Merc.

Comment

Maybe a ragged out one, I thought the two that I drove felt identical to an m3. They don't have quite as much feel as an e30 but they are completely neutral and controllable I love them. For some reason they are very small though. Not a good car if your over 6 feet.

Comment

I was young at the time, but my dads 190 handled awsome for a big car. Very balanced.
                          -Jay

Comment

I agree. I have a friend locally with the 2.3 16V, and while it's pretty damn quick and looks tits, it's handling pales in comparison to the M3, even Cup-Kit equipped.

Comment

when I came to texas there was one for 4500. complete and it probably needed love just like an e30.

and in another neighborhood around the base there is another one, just chillen.

Comment

Working...
                              X