Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner Installation

Hey guys,

Looking for some advise from those who have replaced their headliner before. I currently have all of the windows out of the car as it just got a fresh coat of paint.

Would it be better to install the headliner with some of the windows back in? All of them?

Since the headliner tucks into the window seals, I’m assuming I would need at least some of the windows back in?

This is for a coupe with no sunroof.

Thanks in advance

Pretty sure BMW just glued the edges of the headliner on to the edges of the metal around the door/window seals, then put seals in afterwards. So you should be able to install the headliner, glue it, and do the windows later. At least in theory. With old headliners at least, the seals alone don't really hold them up if you try to reinstall them that way, but in that case the material has deformed over time.

Comment

Any recommendations on a good brush on glue for the edges?

Comment

Any recommendations on a good brush on glue for the edges?

Comment

Depends on the headliner material you have. But I'd look at the 3M line of automotive adhesives, as I'd imagine they have a good one for your application.

Comment

DAP Weldwood Landau Top & Trim HHR is top notch stuff for upholstery. Downside is cost and only comes in a gallon. Can be sprayed or brushed on, just have to be sparing with the brush or it'll bleed depending on the material and backing.
            1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
            2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
            "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

I've been using DAP Weldwood brush on contact cement for 20 years now. Zero complaints, available at Lowes / Home Depot. Just installed a new Genuine BMW convertible top on a clients E30 with it too. Fantastic.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Working...
              X