Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

December 12th - DOOMSDAY (New developments)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December 12th - DOOMSDAY (New developments)

(Please don't flame)

Well, I was embarassed to tell everyone this before, but when I wrecked my E30, I didn't have current insurance. My policy had expired 1 week prior to the accident, and I was looking for a new insurance company to switch to, since I was displeased with my current agency. I wasn't about to pay $700 for another 6 months just to cancel it a week later when I switched. But I still had to get to work, and go here and there. So like an idiot, I decided that I would drive safely and be careful until I got my new policy going. Well, the one thing you can't always account for is driving conditions after different types of weather.

Needless to say, since I was at fault (technically) in an accident without insurance, Oregon State Law requires that my license be suspended for a period of no less than 1 year starting at 12:01 am on December 12th. I can still apply for a special license called a hardship license that will allow me to drive to work and to any necessary engagements.

I realize what I did was really stupid, but now I'm ready to deal with the consequences. I went through the physical pain, and now it's time for the real punishment. Like I said, I know what I did was really stupid and irresponsible, so please, refrain from flaming. I'm not trying to get any sympathy, because I know I don't deserve it. I just figured it was time to come clean.

Josh

some people just (unfortuately) learn things the hard way, i am sometimes one of them.

good luck with that whole situation, still shitty for anyone to have to go through

http://www.volkswagenjettacup.com/

Comment

Josh,

If this makes you feel bad, i've had:

49 total tickets
      17 moving violations
      8 tint tickets
      and other assorted tix.

I've had 3 suspensions, 1 month, 3 months and a year. I just learned my lesson awhile back. I don't care what anyone says, the speed limits were created when not one car had even ABS, DSC, ESP, DBC, ASC, ASM, TCS, HDB, and countless others.

Ever heard of a GTO or a Chevelle that does .89 on the skidpad? How about wet traction?

Fact of the matter is, the limits of todays cars are wayy beyond speed limits.

The problem is, the speed limits are not beyond the limits of the drivers o nthe road today.

I think their needs to be a complete revolution in the drivers services dept, specifically on license issual.

Driving around a block is not sufficient. The fact that it seems the employees are concerned about turnout numbers takes away from the quality care that needs to go into teaching someone to drive.

I think the following tests MUST be passed before ISSUAL or RE-ISSUED licenses are given:

--you induce and recover from a slide (in the wet and dry)
      --emergency lane change
      --skidpad, 3 cones moved and you fail (wet and dry)
      --parallel park (up and downhill)
      --maintain proper speed limit OR flow of traffic, whichever is faster
      --memory test (where both peripheral vision and distant vision are required to remember a set amount of items when flashed at a person for 15sec)
      --driving with slight distractions

Do this on a closed course as much as possible. Written test should be fill in the blank, and consist of defining various terms and how to induce and/or correct them.

Automatic revocation for:
      --speeding in construction zone
      --driving drunk
      --driving intoxicated
      --impeding traffic
      Nick

87 325 5MT
      02 IS300 5MT

Comment

A f*cking men.....
        「 Terror from the Rising Sun 」

Comment

..worry not..we all don't have clean rap sheets :D
          Sometime it takes a lesson ... a very hard lesson...before we learn.. I'll not cite the total number or nature of tickets I've gotten because its not like I am proud of them ;)

You gotta remember citys, towns, states and the govt. all make money from these laws..they seem to be more about the $$ than the safety of the people :roll:

What hurts the most is its often to the disadvantage of the underpriviledged and poor who have no family members who are cops are the ability to pay for attorneys that get screwed over the most and fill their coffers.. :evil:

Comment

that SUCKS! I dont know how I could live without my lisecence.

I went for 6 days without insurance at hte beginning of the year in my bimmer. It was a paranoid time, I was searching for a better policy too. The M3 was uninsured for like a month when the company forgot to reinstate the policy and bill it.
            Im now E30less.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I've been there too...
              In Nazichusetts if a "minor" (under 18 driver) gets only 2 speeding tickets at any time - automatic 180-day license suspension. Of course, If I were a year older and gotten 4 o 5 tickets, nothing would have happened probably. Does that seem right?
              I'd love to say I learned my lesson, but the fact that I plunked down $400 for a ValentineV1 would sort of dispute that. But still, I haven't gotten a ticket since those first 2, and I don't plan on getting another one for a loooooong time.

Comment

Don't worry, I would have driven without the insurance for a week also. Granted, if you know you are going to switch providers, you should start looking before your current policy expires.

Comment

What you got caught for is relatively minor in comparison to the shit I pulled when I was in my early 20's. We all make mistakes. You're only an idiot if you keep making them over and over - you know the saying, "those who ignore history are bound to repeat it.....". Or something like that.
                  Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

Originally posted by Inspar8r
                    They do this already Nick.

Also they kinda but not too much throw in a distraction they have other kids in the car with you and some of the kids are abnoxios.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Eta

Also they kinda but not too much throw in a distraction they have other kids in the car with you and some of the kids are abnoxios.

I never had to parallel park when I did my test. They should seriously consider revamping the tests though.
                      Best of luck with your search for a new e30.

Nick

Comment

New developments:

I got a call today from State Farm (insurance company of the girl I hit). I was expecting their call, expecting to end up paying probably around $2000 for what they paid out to her, medical bills, her cheap '85 Honda, ambulance ride, etc.

They paid out just over $5000 dollars to her. They are claiming that they paid out over $3500 just for her medical bills alone. She was checked out of the ER hours before me, and I even asked the nurse if she was alright, and I was told she was fine. I on the other hand had a fractured sternum and a serverly bruised collar bone. I was put on percoset and told that if I had a reaction to it, to come back the next morning. I did, so I had to go back and have them put me on a lesser dose of a generic form. My TWO ER visits, x-rays, medications, and ambulance ride totalled just under $2000.

On top of this, her insurance company recieved a letter from an employee at a local rock quarry near to the accident site. This "mystery witness" is claiming that he knows me and my car, and saw me driving way to fast around where the accident happened, and that I was sliding all over the road and scared him because I almost hit him. I was in fact driving in that area, and doing no more than 45-55 the whole time. At one point I did slide MAYBE 6 inches toward the shoulder of a long, sweeping turn, but not towards the oncoming lane, and only because of wet pavement. Whoever this guy is is full of shit, becuase there were no cars where I was. I have reason to believe that this person is a friend of the person I hit. At any rate, her insurance company is counting him as a witness, which I'm pretty sure is not legal.

I plan to get a lawyer and take this to court, further happenings will be posted as they happen.

Comment

Originally posted by modifiede30
                          What you got caught for is relatively minor in comparison to the shit I pulled when I was in my early 20's. We all make mistakes. You're only an idiot if you keep making them over and over - you know the saying, "those who ignore history are bound to repeat it.....". Or something like that.
                          They also say "a lesson will be repeated until it is learned"
                          Nick

87 325 5MT
                          02 IS300 5MT

Comment

Holey Shiite (and I ain't talkin Mohammed!) I thought I was bad! I've had 12 moving violations, 23 if you count taking in it the ass while driving! I'm kidding! ;)

Inspar8r, did you ever think to get an attorney, or if you did how much worse do you think you'd be off if you hadn't?
                            Josh,

If this makes you feel bad, i've had:

49 total tickets
                            17 moving violations
                            8 tint tickets
                            and other assorted tix.

I've had 3 suspensions, 1 month, 3 months and a year. I just learned my lesson awhile back. I don't care what anyone says, the speed limits were created when not one car had even ABS, DSC, ESP, DBC, ASC, ASM, TCS, HDB, and countless others.

Ever heard of a GTO or a Chevelle that does .89 on the skidpad? How about wet traction?

Fact of the matter is, the limits of todays cars are wayy beyond speed limits.

The problem is, the speed limits are not beyond the limits of the drivers o nthe road today.

I think their needs to be a complete revolution in the drivers services dept, specifically on license issual.

Driving around a block is not sufficient. The fact that it seems the employees are concerned about turnout numbers takes away from the quality care that needs to go into teaching someone to drive.

I think the following tests MUST be passed before ISSUAL or RE-ISSUED licenses are given:

--you induce and recover from a slide (in the wet and dry)
                            --emergency lane change
                            --skidpad, 3 cones moved and you fail (wet and dry)
                            --maintain proper speed limit OR flow of traffic, whichever is faster
                            --memory test (where both peripheral vision and distant vision are required to remember a set amount of items when flashed at a person for 15sec)
                            --driving with slight distractions

Do this on a closed course as much as possible. Written test should be fill in the blank, and consist of defining various terms and how to induce and/or correct them.

Automatic revocation for:
                            --speeding in construction zone
                            --driving drunk
                            --driving intoxicated
                            --impeding traffic
                            Furthermore, no one here is an ordained priest, and really, most of us don't care, unless you learned something that we could benefit from. If you have, you've neglected to espouse such information.

Hence, I am inclined to think of you as a catharisis-addicted, whiney bitch, who can't keep to themselves what they should.

No offense, but I don't come here and talk about my problems. I don't want to see anyone else's pshrink fodder, dammit.

Comment

Josh, we all do stupid shit. That wasn't too stupid, granted ;), but don't feel too bad about it. It looks like we can all relate, myself included.. (how does 75 in a 25 zone sound? The cop GAVE ME A WARNING. Jesus fucking Christ. Luckily I didn't pass that moron ahead of me illegally.)

See? I'm a lot fucking stupider than you, or was, at least. ;)

We all do learn shit the hard way, I for one seem to be doing that more often than most. I've also had my license revoked for a 60 in a 35 zone, but only for one month as I was respectful/honest/whatever to the judge. At that time I wasn't aware but the speed limit was 40 and I was going about 50. And the cop... ok I won't even go into how much of a shitfucker he was.
                              Hmm.. I just made a new word.

49 total tickets

:shock:

Holy almighty ass, that's a lot of tickets. Two myself, but then again I've been driving for four years. Three if you don't count permit, but technically 8 if you count from the first time I was behind the wheel... er.. whatever. How long have you been driving, man? And, I agree with your lesson. hehehe...

Originally posted by Super Eta
                              In California they do not do parallel parking, as in fit in between two cars, although they do do "drive up to the side of the curb where there are no other parked cars and be 6 to 18 inches away" or some bullshit. They call that "parking parallel" if I remember correctly. What the fuck.

Originally posted by e9nine
                              I'll not cite the total number or nature of tickets I've gotten because its not like I am proud of them ;)
                              Aww, come on! :(

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                              On top of this, her insurance company recieved a letter... which I'm pretty sure is not legal.
                              That pisses the fucking hell out of me. Hey Jose, can I borrow your Sig for awhile? I need to... serve some justice. 8)
                              ...Get your lawyer. Do whatever the hell you can... this pisses me off to no end.

Originally posted by JoseMadre
                              23 if you count taking in it the ass while driving!
                              So, do you use, like, special seats?

Comment

Working...
                              X