Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1733 worth of damage

I went out to my car to go to work and noticed this;

No note, neighbors didn't see anything etc, etc.

I called my insurance company (USAA, they are great) to see that if I made a claim not knowing who did it if my premium would go up, they said no. The lady on the phone made me chuckle with her answer to that.

She said: did you ask someone to run into your car? I said no. She said: well then why would your premium go up? Totally not the answer I was expecting.

I got an estimate today and it came out to $1733. That is to replace the bumper, the trim, misc. brackets, and to repaint the trunk lid due to some new scratches.

Another pic:

Yes the car was filthy, and no, my muffler is not that crooked.

So far I am pretty happy about how this normally pain in the ass process is progressing.

On a down note, the little bastard stalled on me 3 times on the 30ish mile drive today. Looks like I have a lot of work to do.
    Matt

sigpic

wow, i could fix that for a few lotto tickets and a pack of cigarettes, haha. Glad to see your insurance company is taking care of you.
    97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
    2001 330ci 5 speed
    83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

So theyre gunna send you the check for 1733 and your going to get a new rear plastic for 100$ right?

Comment

wow i have to see an estimate to believe that. but thats great for you

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          So theyre gunna send you the check for 1733 and your going to get a new rear plastic for 100$ right?
          Minus the $500 deductible.

It will be properly fixed.:D
          Matt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TopOfTheLine89 View Post
            wow, i could fix that for a few lotto tickets and a pack of cigarettes, haha. Glad to see your insurance company is taking care of you.
            Would you weld it? :roll:
            '89 325is S50 Track Montser
            '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

sounds like a good deal, what are you planning to do with the extra cash?
              stephenbrody.com

Comment

so expensive. wow good thing its covered
                AW 89' 325i Vert - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by ubernasty View Post
                  wow i have to see an estimate to believe that. but thats great for you
                  I would, post it, but I don't care what you believe. Sorry. I was surprised at the estimate myself. Labor here is crazy, at least twice what it is in central NY. The bumper cover alone was quoted at almost $500.

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                  Would you weld it? :roll:
                  Not on my car, my welding is shitty enough. I'm sure a pack of cigarettes will be involved though.

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
                  sounds like a good deal, what are you planning to do with the extra cash?
                  This and that. Like I said, it suddenly decided to start running like shit, so I have that to contend with.
                  Matt

sigpic

Comment

I had the same exact damage to my bumper skin, same spot too. It's not hard to fix at all, I just pulled the rear bumper, then pulled the skin off the core and super glued it back together. A little sanding/priming/sanding/priming and some factory matched rattle cans and it will be good as new.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                    HSAX Instructor

Comment

oh i didn't mean that in a negative way man... just in a sarcastic good for you way ;)

Comment

Id sell ya a bumper cover and brand new euro trim for 300 shipped. :)
                        Sorry to see the damage, shit happens..

Comment

Ah man.. i have an even bigger crack on the back of my car... never got it fixed... i just say "adds character.."

Comment

All of the previous posters are right you could make a killing on this. Hell, if you car is brilliantrot I have a parts car with a bumper already painted. A little compound and waxing and it would be good as new. One of the impact strips has some cracked clips though so you would have to find one or but the euro strips.
                            sigpic

Comment

I like the Hartge exhaust. Where did you get it?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X