œ ÐÏ®†Ý Š‡ÿ£ëŽ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

œ ÐÏ®†Ý Š‡ÿ£ëŽ

This should make for a good 6000th post.

It is ARGYLE, not plaid.

So as many of you know, I cant leave things alone. I originally anticipated having this done for the Picnic '09 this last June, but the stars just didnt align.

I wanted to widen my 17" steelies, and I wanted to do it with a bit more of a statement than just the wheels seeing as how I change those around on a bi-monthly basis anyhow. So after last year's "got e30?" down the side, I got some ideas.

The wheels are 17x8.5 now at et22, running 215/40s all around.

I liked the 'attitude' that the vinyl gave the car if you can call it that. Since the car had a giant "?" on the side, I got the question, "Whats e30?" way too often. I tried to come up with something that gave the car attitude, without making me realize how much people really were staring at my car. Contrary to popular belief, I dont relish in the attention. It is a byproduct of putting giant stickers on your car however. So I wanted something that made a statement, without me having to talk about it every time I take the car out.

I did about 15 different mock ups and photoshop/chops before I finally settled on the one below. I played with colors, and decided to go with colors similar to that or Burberry's plaid. Then I came up with the plan of attack on getting it all measured and cut as close to my p-shop as I could. When it came to cutting the vinyl, it was 140 4 part diamonds, with 6 oversized diamonds. So total there are 480+ diamonds on here with 50 red stripes. The wheels were originally painted the color of the p-shop, but they didnt look right. So they were changed, and I havent decided how I feel about them yet.

In the meantime of 'dressing' my car up, the s50's headgasket failed between 5 & 6. So I put on the new head I have had on the shelf, with several other little items I had yet to replace. It pulls much smoother, and stronger now. In the process, I painted a 2nd valve cover to match the wheel lips.

I also just installed a billet Optima battery hold down. Which is a very nice chunk for anyone looking to hold their Optima batteries down the right way.

There are a few shots of the motor and battery tray too, followed by a few shots from my 4 hour mountain drive yesterday. Enjoy if you will.

Love it, hate it, I dont care. I am very pleased with how its coming out. I still need to finish couple spots, install my sideskirts, etc etc. There are a couple new things that I will get hate on for, but I dont care! This is the new whip. Flame away.

Once the car needed some work, I decided to finish a few projects -

From yesterday -

Last edited by Van Westervelt; 09-27-2009, 09:44 PM.
    sigpic

I can dig it...
    Last edited by Kilawin; 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I like the battery tray.

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

glad you like it

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Definitely different...not sure what to think about it. The steels look awesome though.
          sigpic

Comment

i usually hate this kind of crap, but i cant say that about your car. cant say i like it, but i dont hate it.

wheels look cool though.

Comment

whaaat?? that is kinda cool though. The first pic it looked ugly (Pshop) but with the wider wheels and the actual non-shopped photos, it doesn't look too bad.

But it could be something that you might get tired of, but hey, it's vinyl!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
                I like the battery tray.
                Any more info on that?

And the car looks great!

Comment

I like it. But i love plaid and weird shit.

Only thing is i woulda made the plaid more solid, not all piece-y

Comment

Billet Specialties makes the mount. I just had to drill and chamfer the edges to be able to bolt into the stock location on the bottom. It comes solid.

Thanks guys. I am going to start doing vinyl cutting etc on the side, so keep an eye out if you have any needs.

Argyle is usually random and 'piecey.' This isnt plaid! lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh, very true. That makes better sense :p

Comment

I don't like the plaid or the wheels by themselves, but I love the way it all ties together w/ the plaid, the wheel color and the valve cover being same color.

Comment

looks sick. I think a "panda" scheme with Burberry-type plaid on the hood (possibly roof) and trunk on a black car would look sick too. But, I've got a red M3, and that would definitely not be cool.
                          sigpic89 M3

Comment

def unique

Comment

You've tied it together well. I think you can pull it off.
                              Originally posted by z31maniac
                              I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Working...
                              X