No announcement yet.

'Summer car during the Winter' content.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, my e46 sucked a phatty this past snowfall, so I broke out the 85 e, with the 2.93lsd. I even started to climb unthiunkable hills and stuff in the neighborhood. My e46 front end is a total mystery, it handles like total shit, wandering in its lane, steering wheel jumping out of my hand. Are you experiencing anything like that?
    Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

I've got snow tires/rims for my e46 and it handles pretty good in the snow with them on.

This pic was from waaaaaay back in 2005:

There's no way I would drive the e46 in snow with summer tires on. Hell, the e46 hasn't been out of my garage since around the end of September... I've got a hoopty shit box Opel for the winter... lol

Nürburgring info

Comment

That is not a blizzard.

Doesn't that thing have traction control?

Comment

Yeah, it has single stage traction control. That's why it did so well considering the tires.

And yes, I am from minnesota, I know what a blizzard is thank you. Seems like exaggeration is a lost art, people keep calling me out lately like you just did. It snowed 5 inches or more when there was no accumulation in the forecast. I shouldn't have to explain all that to strangers on the internet when I can just say 'blizzard' and it means the same thing

And thanks for all the comments guys

WTB: early e30 sedan front doors

Comment

Just bustin your balls, man. No big deal. ;) Its just when we get 8" or more at a time, yours doesn't look that bad. ;)

Comment

Wow, your car looks great. Awesome color.

... and whoafuckthat driving it in the snow. Glad everything turned out okay. A major pain in the ass on the road is a lot better than a ride home on a tow truck or a r3v.
              Slicktop City!

Comment

I totally feel you man. My e30 has been in the garage all winter and my piece of shit jetta decided to not start yesterday of all days no I had to drive my e30. Same tires as you, no fun! Im diggin' your e46 for sure, you gotta keep that baby off the roads its nuts out there.

p.s. I drive home from school (MSU) to WI about every other weekend and i have an m50 e30 so I could probably stop in the cities sometime and we could get your e30 going. Just throwin' it out there

cheers, Nate

Comment

i dont think you have enough warning lights light up on the dash yet-- you should throw a few burned out bulbs in your car so those light up in the display too.

I know how you feel-- i have been driving my vert with "all season" tires on the front and some brandnew whatever the craps on the rear with no problems so far-- and usually we really dont get crap for snow in this area- but its been pretty hard this winter.

Comment

You should come to western Washington when it snows. People freak out. Over like an inch. People are dumb and don't know how to drive in snow here. Try some of the hills in Seattle when it snows.;) I miss the proper winters of the twins cities though. Nice e46 by the way. Good luck with the wiring problem too.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=162444

Comment

Similar situation happened to me on friday. I knew the snow was going to start accumulating before I got off from work (8) so all day i bitched and moaned that im leaving the second snow lays on the roads. 5:30 rolls around im like alright gotta go....rwd + lowered on summer tires = no snow for me. At 7 i could finally leave...sure enough getting out of the parking lot i was slippin sideways (boys in a daze).

Driving home was probably one of the worst experiences of my life. It was dark, snowing heavily, and I was on 95. I pretty much just drove slow and crossed my fingers. I made it to my exit but realized I would have to go down a STEEP hill. So at a stoplight sliding 15 feet I decided to pull over for a bit. I pulled into a private condo residence and took this picture:

I ended up leaving it there(parked between two cars) with a note "DONT TOW THIS PLEASE" and had my brother pick me up.

Never again will I subject my car to something like that. Not that I wanted to in this situation.

My car is back unscathed in my driveway now
                      Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

last year i couldn't even get her to move.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        24v swapped

Comment

word of warning if ur ever driving it in the snow again or anything else with bigger wheels and a drop. snow will build up in the back of the front arch (like in the pic u posted) and when u turn the wheel the inside one can lock itself up because of all the compacted snow in the arch causing some "interesting" handling characteristics like understeer when u should have oversteer, etc..

its much worse if u also have front mudflaps. happened to me and the flaps were acting like mini scoops and picking up loads of snow that ended up behind the front wheels and would lock the inner front wheel on anything but slight turning of the wheels.

Currently E30-less

- EthosMotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Yeah, my e46 sucked a phatty this past snowfall, so I broke out the 85 e, with the 2.93lsd. I even started to climb unthiunkable hills and stuff in the neighborhood. My e46 front end is a total mystery, it handles like total shit, wandering in its lane, steering wheel jumping out of my hand. Are you experiencing anything like that?

see post above.. :stupid:

Currently E30-less

- EthosMotorsports.com

Comment

Working...
                            X