Movin' on up, to the top...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movin' on up, to the top...

With my new job requiring a much longer commute for the foreseeable future I decided my little 325iS was not going to make a great DD in stop-and-go traffic. Being a 5-speed with stiff suspension and whatnot, I figured now was s good time to move up to something a little more comfortable. So I picked up this '91 525i with 124K on the clock.

The transmission was stuck in limp mode and after getting it diagnosed at the dealer and at a transmission specialty shop, they both came back saying that there was a bad solenoid inside the transmission and that it would need to be replaced. So $550 later I had a used AT with a nice warranty in my possession and I proceeded to yank out the old one and put this one in. Got it all buttoned up and surprise!!! Error was still there. Grumble.

The only other possibility was the transmission control unit. Both previous diagnosis had ruled that out, but at this point I was like f**k it and found a used on for $75 and threw it in. Surprise! Error was gone. So I'm out $550 on the tranny, but at least I can sell the old one and try to make it up.

So now it's running and driving great. F**k me this car is soooo nice to drive as a daily. Comfy, quiet, good road feedback, and the M50NV is a great motor. I just ordered a new headunit so I can listen t o my tunes, and an EAT/MarkD chip. I'm also picking up a V1 and a set of e38 Style 15s for it. I may tint the windows before summer too. I don't want to do anything too crazy, I just want a nice reliable DD. I've got the convertible for weekend fun. So, on to pics!!

Pics of the new e34:

Needs new wheels pretty bad! The centercaps are fubar'd

Also looking to upgrade to Ellipsoids with some nice 35W HIDs

Seats are minty fresh! I am going to dye the rear parcel shelf black though, that purple is f**king ugly

What to do about this? It's on both rear doors

Again, minty fresh seats

I love that this has the black vinyl accents and not wood. I've never been a fan of wood trim. I also have a new headunit on the way, this one only works half the time and sounds like shit.

non-vanos goodness (needs to be pressure washed though, and the EAT/MarkD chip is on it's way)

looks very clean. is it sterlingsilver?
    *** For sale: euro stuff, BBS steering wheels, smoked tail lights, bunch of rare wheels (5x120 and 4x100) ***

[/color]

Comment

Wow Darin, I love it. Nice color, nice interior..even though you bought a tranny at least you know yours is good right?

Sad to see red car go, but Im sure it will find a nice home on here :)

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Very nice Darrin! Refresh my memory on what style 15s look like again.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

The door panels have a tendancy to shrink like e30 ones. The fix is removing the inserts and either stretching the vinyl back out with a warm iron or replacing it and reinstalling the inserts. Do you have the seat back twist problem? That's an easy fix if you are not familiar with it. Clean e34! I miss mine.

Cheers,

Brian

Comment

Nice move! we both have new 5 series drivers. movin' on up!
            1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
            2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
            2003 X5 3.0

Comment

is it just me or do the e34's have really nice profiles? clean 5 bro

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
              You are lucky your Dad didn't pull out and leave you on the passenger side seat.

Comment

these the ones your getting? this style I mean?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Weird, the battery is under the hood. Mine's under the rear seat.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thats a REALLY nice e34, did you mean style 5's?

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
                    The door panels have a tendancy to shrink like e30 ones. The fix is removing the inserts and either stretching the vinyl back out with a warm iron or replacing it and reinstalling the inserts. Do you have the seat back twist problem? That's an easy fix if you are not familiar with it. Clean e34! I miss mine.

Cheers,

Brian
                    Thats some good info...

Comment

Originally posted by JJe30 View Post
                      Weird, the battery is under the hood. Mine's under the rear seat.
                      Mine was too...

edit: definatly relocate the battery, did you get rid of the e30?

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post

Cheers,

Brian
                        Care to expand on the fixing of the seat back twist?

Thanks.

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
                        sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

That is a sweet e34, I miss my dads e38, and do you mean style 5's?
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                          VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Needs new wheels pretty bad! The centercaps are fubar'd
                            Those are nice looking wheels. Why not just replace the center caps? Probably under $50 from Bavarian.
                            Mark
                            88 325ic
                            03 325i

Comment

Nice car.

Now swap in an m20, get an ebay turbo kit, and shotty ITB set up. ;)
                              Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                              every time an M-tech 1 spoiler is destroyed, a baby seal dies.
                              Originally posted by Jparkr
                              The last thing we need are more of the retards on here thinking they are engineers too.
                              87 325:83 jetta coupe:99 volvo c70:99 volvo s70

Comment

Working...
                              X