Out with the new, in with the old....my first BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out with the new, in with the old....my first BMW

Hello everyone, I sold my wrx swapped 'classic' impreza to pay for tuition. My girlfriends swapped impreza has been nothing but a money pit. Since I've been without a car [for myself] for the better part of 4 years, I decided to get something a little bit more reliable than our current shared car...so I don't have to commute 3 hours daily by bus...to and from school.

I started reading some bmw forums and searched craigslist for the better part of 2 months before coming across an add for a 1985 BMW 318i with 120,000 miles. Vehicle history came back flawless (PM me if you need a VIN check, I have it for 57 days) with the exception that it failed emissions 5 years ago. It's exterior was in relatively good shape, only a couple dings, faded paint, one part that is slightly rusting. However, there are some rust issues under the car that need to be tackled before it becomes too serious. The interior is hurting a little, but I wasn't expecting mint condition. It has a slight shimmy at 55-60mph which I think is a combination of rotted bushings, dead struts and possibly unbalanced wheels. It just needed a battery to run like a champ. Cruise control, crank sunroof and the door locks are picky (has to be lock/unlocked at trunk almost exclusively). Overall, I'm still happy. It's primary purpose is to be a reliable secondary car, and when my girlfriends impreza is all buttoned up, I'll slowly pick away at the BMW to get it into tip top driving shape before modding it.

My old car: 1999 Impreza 274awhp (untuned)

1985 BMW 318i

More pictures to come after it's been registered and is a bit more road worthy.
    Last edited by psyber_0ptix; 02-22-2010, 10:24 AM.
    Originally posted by FredK
    However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
    Feedback

Looks good. You should come to the auto-X that the CCA has at the AFB.
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

I'd love to sometime this year. In september i'll be off to Germany for a year so I want to get this car all fixed up before I leave. That way I won't forget what has to be done when I get back. Any links to class guidelines/rules?
      However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
      Feedback

Comment

Do you live on the east side? Did you ever have a lime green impreza in the past?
        -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
        2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

I do live on the east side, but I've only had my Silverthorne Metallic impreza while I was up here in Providence. I'm a native mid-atlantic'er and had lived in Northern Virgnia for most of my life.

My year in Germany
          Feedback

Comment

Welcome to r3v and BMWs.
            sigpic

Comment

want to go to the pick and pull this thursday?
              Greg

Comment

sounds good to me

My year in Germany
                Feedback

Comment

This was the one for sale for $500 with the rotted floor boards and suspension problems? It looked good but i don't like rust.

What school are you going to?
                  1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                  1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                  1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

This was in Ayer, MA listed for $750. I didn't get a chance to see the red one in RI as the kid seemed a little.... unsure. The floors will most likely have some underlying rust but we have a welder and it doesnt seem to bad to fix. I'm more worried about harder to replace parts; frame etc. Time will tell when I can finally tear this thing down.

I'm at URI
                    Last edited by psyber_0ptix; 02-22-2010, 10:25 AM.

My year in Germany
                    Feedback

Comment

Looks like it was in the hands of someone that knows at least a little about e30's, just judging by the is front spoiler.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what kind it is. there are also a birds nest of wiring from the previous previous owner who ran wires for a sub, installed an aftermarket head unit and wired up a siren of some sort in the engine bay.

My year in Germany
                        Feedback

Comment

Good lord, why is it that most installers suck ass? Why do retard kids in high school think they can handle an install? I feel for ya, mate. Go kick its ass.

Welcome to R3V.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

All those who are asking for VIN checks...please remember to shoot me your email address lol...

edit: still have this till early april
                            Last edited by psyber_0ptix; 02-28-2010, 06:11 AM.

My year in Germany
                            Feedback

Comment

Working...
                            X