Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I <3 My 1986 325: Spring Cleaning/ Mod /Build Thread

Hey R3v,

I have been obsessing extra hard about my E30 the last few weeks. Now, not to say Im not always obsessing, I'm just saying that my E30 has been on my mind lots these last few weeks. It must be the weather starting to get nicer again.

I want this to be a thread I can update this spring when I do some work on the E30.

The History:

I bought the car on a whim in June of 2009, I wasn't looking for a second car I just love browsing Craigslist. Anyway, it was a two owner car. The man I bought it from had it since 1991. He did a lot of maintenance work both, good and bad.

1986 325 M20B27
    Bronzit on Houndstooth
    5 speed
    186,000 miles

The car was repainted about two years ago, unprofessionally in a garage, black. The repaint was due to a lot of faded bronzit and a truck rolling into the front of the car on a hill. The clutch was replaced and all four corners got new brake pads and rotors. No brake pad senors though. The car came equipped with one option... BMW wind visor for the sunroof, a $220 option back in 86.

I test drove it and was really impressed, no leaks, no funny business. They wanted $1,250, I offered $800 cash, they accepted. :pimp:

My girl friend and I named him Charlie on the drive home. He was welcomed in to the family with open arms.

Cleaning Him Up

After we brought him home a wash and wax was in order.

Note: Bronzit under-bumper areas front and rear.

Next was a thorough interior cleaning. I don't have very many pictures of this but it was dirty as hell and I made it clean again. :mrgreen:

I ditched those cheap seat covers, the dashboard cover, the floor mats and that nasty shift knob. I am now rocking an OEM BMW wooden shift knob with 5spd insert, no dash cover and no seat covers.

I had the carpet and seats professionally shampooed (HAHAH only cost me $22!) That made a big difference, but I don't have any pics to prove it.

First Post Purchase Cost!
    It was about a month after I bought the car it started leaking power steering fluid...badly. Which required a new PS rack. $110.00 + $220.00 for install. (I know I should have upgraded to a E36 rack, but money was tight at the time)

I sprayed the front and rear under bumper areas black, clear front lights were on - $44 and I had a creative moment of clarity and painted the headlight yellow.

Then came blacked out kidney grills and a euro plate.

It was love. That sticker has since been replaced with a new and improved design.

I found a local E30 parts car that willingly donated its IS trunk lip, cruise control unit and blinker switch.

I have lots of future plans, not a lot of money and limited amounts of free time to do it all. I will starting adding pictures and write ups with most of the things I do.

Thanks for reading.
    -Nick
    Originally posted by 87e30
    First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Cool--yours looks like mine, except it's black, has half the valves, a few mm more stroke and a lot more $ in labor. :)

Comment

A slam and bumper tuck is in order.

Looks good though, very clean.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Clean E30, take it slow and enjoy the transformation. They are awesome cars.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Update

I bent a bottle cap from hitting a curb in the snow back in January. So I picked this bad boy up for $20 to replace the bent one.

Its pretty gross now, but I'll be refinishing all my bottle caps in the near future. Just for fun.

I also recently came across a new chrome grill to replace my shitty broken blacked out grill.

This was a bad morning early this spring... It was mostly due to my speed, but also due to my worn out tires.

I ended up hitting a small tree :oops: Here is the Damage.

I know this is a lot to take in at once, but I still have more to update later. This car has been through hell.
          -Nick

Comment

Well that was quick. Swap out the doors and move on.
            '88 325ic

Comment

I've been sitting on these for a while, but Im not sure if I want to pay to have them painted until I have a new front fender and possibly a 88+ front valence to go with it.

-Nick

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                A slam and bumper tuck is in order.

Looks good though, very clean.
                my first thought was bumper tuck. Plastic bumpers look good, but I think that tucked diving boards look great too.
                Josh

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=159843

Comment

Last weekend I installed:

New Pedal pads
                  A new glove box latch
                  New tail light gaskets

Just in case you've never seen a new tail light gasket. : /

Still waiting to be installed are:

New front and rear brake pad sensors
                  Valve cover gasket

As well I:

I tightened up my e-brake, reattached the parking brake light, cleaned the car inside and out.

It was a good weekend.
                  Last edited by Butler; 05-12-2010, 01:12 AM.
                  -Nick

Comment

UPDATE

Thursday I replaced all three belts.

Saturday I bought a set of IX weaves with tires and a M20B25 Valve cover.

Sunday I cleaned them up.

Here is the valve cover which was sand blasted prior to purchase. $20.

The weaves.

Its amazing how clean they got, and in all honesty I didn't clean them that well. I was so surprised to see how good they looked afterward.

Im so excited to get them on the car!

If anyone has some suggestions on what size spacers to get that would be appreciated. Im thinking 20mm or 25mm? with 205s and a drop.
                    -Nick

Comment

wow those weaves cleaned up NICE! other than a little road rash on the sides, they are real clean.

Comment

Damn those weaves cleaned up nice! Can't wait to see them on the car Nick!

Comment

Originally posted by rhett325i View Post
                          Damn those weaves cleaned up nice! Can't wait to see them on the car Nick!
                          Hey Rhett!

Thanks again man. I hope to see you again at the picnic!

Originally posted by Dermeister3 View Post
                          wow those weaves cleaned up NICE! other than a little road rash on the sides, they are real clean.
                          Yeah. I was blown away.
                          Thanks.
                          -Nick

Comment

Teh eta got chipped today!

The results were good.
                            -Nick

Comment

Lovin the process so far, sucks about the tree

Comment

Working...
                              X