X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet

Comment

nice looking car, i don't know why the fuck everyone hates on you and your car, but its nice as fuck. Haha, by the way, you can leave your car at my house if you want Just over the bay bridge!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Anyone have experience using that 324td fan in a 24v swap? is it small enough that it doesnt have to be cut?
        Originally posted by blunt
        can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
          Andrew, I thought of your project when I read this quote in Bimmer Magazine

"If you don't move the motor back, you lose the factory viscous clutch and fan, and that's a huge driveability issue. Electric fans are not an equal substitute, as I learned on my e21", Cain explains, "The front of the M54 six is in almost the same spot as the M10 four-cylinder, so cylinders 5 and 6 are back where the heater used to be. The passenger loses a bit of legroom, but I don't have to worry about the engine overheating."

At least you're in company in doing whatever it takes to keep the mechanical fan. All this guy Cain did is drop an M54 in his 2002 and and twin turbo it. What does he know...?

Edit, the 2002twinturbo website might be unstable, so here's some information on his 2002 in Bf.c.

http://www.2002twinturbo.com/
          This 'Cain guy' sounds like he knows what he's doing hehe :D

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
            This 'Cain guy' sounds like he knows what he's doing hehe :D
            spoiler: they're neighbors ;)
            cars beep boop

Comment

For all the shit he has taken for his plans, he did actually accomplish them...props. Oh and I'd suck the teet of Paul Cain if he was my neighbor too.
              sigpic

Comment

Glad to see it finally came together. I have my reservations about why you did it the way you did, but at least once you settled on something you did it well. Props to you for going in 100% and doing top-notch work.

I must however point out that you are incorrect in saying that "Most BMWs have mechanical fans". That is not true. Not one BMW made in the last 10-12 years has had a mechanical fan, because they are less efficient. They draw off the engine's horsepower, adding drag and increasing fuel consumption. Hence why all modern cars use electric fans, it's simply better technology. Even the X5M, which from a thermodynamics standpoint puts out 3x the heat of the m30, has all-electric fans. None of the 3.5/24V swap guys are having overheating issues running electric fans.

Comment

Finally! What radiator is that btw? Did you get it smogged/bar'ed yet?

P.S. you a missing one clip on the front grill lol

P.S.S. I also agree with CorvallisBMW , plenty of new cars (including BMW models) that use all electric fans for cooling from the factory. Whatever works right...
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

The car looks very nice, you did a great job with your modifications.

I see why you did the engine placement the way you did, but I won't do mine the same way. Nothing against yours, there are compromises in both approaches. I'm glad yours has worked out to your satisfaction, and one thing to note is that setting the engine low and to the rear is great for weight distribution.

Someone mentioned Paul Cain's beautiful 2002, and that brings up a point. I read the article in Bimmer and one thing that stood out to me was the placement of the transmission. He was very concerned with weight distribution, to the point that he went to a lot of trouble to fabricate a rear mounted transaxle setup. Unfortunately the performance testing showed that the transaxle ultimately became a handicap to performance, because shifting it is very slow. I believe he fixated on one aspect of building a performance car, to the point where he compromised another important aspect badly enough to negate whatever he gained. Building any high performance car is a balancing act. I hope that you are satisfied with the choices you've made.

As far as some of the negative comments being thrown around, I read a quote tonight on another forum that sums up my feeling: "What good does it do to drive enthusiasts away. His car was much less offensive than some members here who regularly post here."

Good luck with your future plans.
                    1973 Bavaria

Comment

Thank you all for your compliments. The radiator is a standard e28 535i model.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                        "Most BMWs have mechanical fans". That is not true. Not one BMW made in the last 10-12 years has had a mechanical fan, because they are less efficient. They draw off the engine's horsepower, adding drag and increasing fuel consumption. Hence why all modern cars use electric fans, it's simply better technology. Even the X5M, which from a thermodynamics standpoint puts out 3x the heat of the m30, has all-electric fans. None of the 3.5/24V swap guys are having overheating issues running electric fans.

You have no idea what you are talking about, BMW has used mechanical fans in there cars within the last 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
                          You have no idea what you are talking about, BMW has used mechanical fans in there cars within the last 10 years.
                          Splitting hairs dude, his point is valid. Maybe they have in a few, but his overall point is correct. Alpina has seen them fit, dozens if not hundreds of swapped cars, e30 or not use electrical fans regularly. Maybe if he didnt have to compromise other aspects of his car to keep the mechanical fan, it wouldnt be a big deal to leave it out. Something tells me BMW in the last 10 years would not have engineered a weakened subframe to allow for a mechanical fan.

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
                            Maybe 1 or 2, but 95+% are electric. e46, e60, e67, e90, e53, etc.... On and on, every 3, 5, 7, X, etc. has an electric fan. And I actually worked on them, not just read stuff on teh internetz. Hell even water pumps are electric now.

The quality of the work is excellent, no doubt. The motives/reasoning behind it are another story.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              Glad to see it finally came together. I have my reservations about why you did it the way you did, but at least once you settled on something you did it well. Props to you for going in 100% and doing top-notch work.

I must however point out that you are incorrect in saying that "Most BMWs have mechanical fans". That is not true. Not one BMW made in the last 10-12 years has had a mechanical fan, because they are less efficient. They draw off the engine's horsepower, adding drag and increasing fuel consumption. Hence why all modern cars use electric fans, it's simply better technology. Even the X5M, which from a thermodynamics standpoint puts out 3x the heat of the m30, has all-electric fans. None of the 3.5/24V swap guys are having overheating issues running electric fans.
                              I wouldn't say its better tech but more of a compromise or "best-fit" solution given the predicament. I mean modern BMW engines are also designed differently in terms of cooling allowing them to incorporate an electric fan (ie. synthetic oil, engine bay parts, additional bumper/fender/hood vents, wider front grills). If you compare an m20 or an m30 to any other modern BMW engine of the same displacement size, you'll realize how many parts are now high vacuum plastic components just to maintain a weight and temperature comparable to older generation engines. Plus, modern engines of the same displacement are designed with a wider surface area to dissipate heat better (which is why a 2.5l m54 looks a lot fatter-take up more engine bay room-than a 2.5l m20). An m54 just barely weighs a bit more than an m20 of the same size, but can you imagine if the weight and cooling inefficiency while using an electric fan if the m54 didn't use plastic molding for its water pump, intake manifold, valve cover, airbox, etc..? Overall, this certainly takes a lot of cooling work off an electric fan but probably at the cost of durability and reliability. I suppose andrew retain a mechanical fan for reliability purposes.
                              Last edited by bmwstephen; 08-15-2010, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                                I wouldn't say its better tech but more of a compromise or "best-fit" situation. I mean BMW's engine are also designed differently in terms of cooling allowing them to incorporate an electric fan (ie. synthetic oil, engine bay parts). If you compare an m20 or an m30 to any other modern BMW engine of the same displacement size, you'll realize how many parts are now high vacuum plastic components just to maintain a weight and temperature comparable to older generation engines. Plus, modern engines of the same displacement are designed with a wider surface area to dissipate heat better (which is why a 2.5l m54 looks a lot fatter-take up more engine bay room-than a 2.5l m20). An m54 just barely weighs a bit more than an m20 of the same size, but can you imagine if the weight and cooling inefficiency if the m54 didn't use plastic molding for its water pump, intake manifold, valve cover, airbox, etc..? This certainly takes a lot of cooling work off an electric cooling fan but probably at the cost of durability and reliability. I suppose andrew retain a mechanical fan for reliability purposes.
                                Way to complicate things...forget double vanos is taking place on the m54, motronic is ancient or that were comparing dohc to sohc.

Electric fans have there place for MANY reasons.
                                1985 BMW 325e
                                1997 BMW M3/4/5
                                2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Working...
                                X