Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1987 325e

Hi all,

My story of E30s started in August, 2009. I got my driving license in May and I started looking for a car. It was meant to be a low budget purchase, and one day I typed ''BMW" in a used-car website just for fun. It was that time I realized E30s exist and I definitely need one. I wanted a 324d at first since I learnt to drive on a diesel car, but the ones for sale cost way too much. In the meantime I realized that a friend of mine studying in the US also had an E30 and on the last days of his hungarian visit we went looking for a car. Our search resulted in me buying a 1986 318i cosmosblau sedan with a good engine and neglected everything else.
    I spent the next year repairing, rebuilding and upgrading.

Upgrades included:
    - M-technik sway-bars (originally it didn't have rears)
    - M-tech 1 steering wheel
    - 40-40mm dropping kit (cheap but surprisigly good)
    - strut tower brace
    - 1.9 Z3 shifter

In the end it was a very fun car to drive but I started to feel power wasn't enough, and the outside of the chassis was still very ugly and I felt it wasn't worth it to continue this project.

I wanted more power, more potential and I have always been a fan of the theory of overlapping power strokes and one day I found this on a website:

It's a cirrusblau 01/1987 325e with Motronic 1.1 and 260 000 kilometres on the clock. It had a nice interior, nice exterior, quite clean engine compartment, power steering which the 318i didn't have, and a sunroof. The usual things like wobbly shifter of course, were present. This photo was taken later, it didn't have a red front panel.

I fitted my 318i with a clutch-stop which I loved and while trying to find the hole behind the clutch which would hold it in the new car, I stuck my finger through the chassis. Than my hand. :???: So we took out the seats and the carpet to find this:

This is the passenger side, the driver's side is about the same. When it's rainy, small lakes form at the front. The sunroof is also terribly rusty. The luggage compartment is practically made of rust but I was aware of that.

Driving it like this "wind noise" has a new meaning. :-D

We changed the timing belt and accessories. It had the factory distributor cap from 1987 and a rotor from 1993. I just hope the previous owners used to change oil more frequently... This was the time I fitted the red front panel since the original fell to pieces.

Currently it's chassis is being repaired, I'll get it back in a few days.

Remaining problems:
    - almost all rubber parts are almost totally disintegrated. (guibo, shock towers, etc)
    - runs very rich when warm, I get 18 mpg and it's very stinky. Temperature switch is faulty
    - needs valve adjustment
    - the part of the exhaust gasket is missing which is supposed to protect the spark plug wires
    - all shocks are bad
    - shifter bushings
    - sunroof
    - fuel level gauge doesn't work
    - handbrake doesn't work
    - rear defroster doesn't work.
    - dash is cracked

My goal is to restore it and build a sporty DD that would still be able to handle some incredibly bad quality roads that we have here.
    Last edited by Scywrath; 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM. Reason: completion

Originally posted by Scywrath View Post
    I wanted a 324d at first since I learnt to drive on a diesel car
    Americans think "learnt" is incorrect. I got it marked off on a test in English class in high school.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
    2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
        Good Luck!
        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Conki View Post
          Americans think "learnt" is incorrect. I got it marked off on a test in English class in high school.
          Haha. Thanks. I really doubt that was the only error in my post. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Scywrath View Post
            Haha. Thanks. I really doubt that was the only error in my post. :-)
            He was saying that us Americans think that learnt is incorrect when in fact, it is correct.

Love the color of the car, hub caps are pretty sweet too!

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
              He was saying that us Americans think that learnt is incorrect when in fact, it is correct.

Love the color of the car, hub caps are pretty sweet too!
              Yes, I know. Even in school, we learnt (haha) that both 'learned' and 'learnt' are correct, only one version is in more widespread use in some areas.

Thanks! In fact, I liked the cosmosblau a little bit more, but my plans are to have it painted burgundrot, a dark red-like color. I also like the hub caps, it's a shame now I only have 3 of them. :(

Comment

My panels were rusted so far beyond that and I still saved it. I think it looks pretty good.

Good luck with the build, it's quite the commitment.
                Function.
                Form.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JdmEuroNorth View Post
                  My panels were rusted so far beyond that and I still saved it. I think it looks pretty good.

Good luck with the build, it's quite the commitment.
                  The guy who is going to fix it also said it wasn't such a big deal and by the way I described it to him he thought I would be taking a trainwreck to him. :-) Luckily the parts that are visible from the outside aren't rusted or bent so I don't have to refinish anything except the red front panel and only because paint has chipped off a bit.

Thanks!

Comment

I just found another picture of them.

I love pre-facelift four-doors. :-)

Comment

I got it back a few days ago, pictures coming soon. The guy did a great job on the rusty places he spotted but he missed a few parts and water still gets in the front so I will take the car back to him soon.

I recently changed the rear shock mounts. The ones I took out of the car fell to pieces.

Since I didn't find the time and the tool to replace the coolant temperature sensor, I decided to compensate for the rich running by fueling up with E85 which should also clean the fuel system.

Comment

Since I got it back I changed the coolant temperature sensor so now it's idling fine with the O2 sensor plugged back in. It didn't solve the warm start problems, a new fuel pump is neccesary. Valve adjustment was almost unneccesary one valve needed adjustment only and the noise was generated by a worn camshaft and some worn retainers. This will be solved with the i head swap. :)

This weekend, I took of the ventilation hole covers from the front and removed the dirt that clogged the water drain pipes. Since water no longer entered the cabin I decided to put everything back together. It took a few hours and I finished the next day by putting the center console back.

3 hours later while pulling out of one of my everyday spots, somehow the front spoiler got stuck in the curb and broke, bending and tearing the front panel also. I practically had a decent looking car for 3 hours in 2 months... :(

Since the idea is not only to replace but to upgrade what is broken and Mtech 1 stuff is extra rare I decided to do the plastic bumper swap.
                        Last edited by Scywrath; 11-02-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Here is a cellphone picture taken while assembling the interior before the destruction of the front.

This picture is also funny because this is my car-driving history. The Volkswagen Caddy in the rear is my company's car, the first car I've driven with my new license and which I crashed the third time I drove it. The others were discussed above.

Comment

Now I'm low on budget so I'm just repairing what I can for low cost.

First was the left side mirror. The mirror glass was shaking while driving and it moved very slowly while adjusting. All reasons became quite obvious after disassembly:

A hornet's nest. :-)

Comment

Last weekend I replaced the sunroof. I had to unscrew 2 of the 6 bolts that were supposed to hold it in place and even the plastic slide rails were cracked beyond repair due to the rust that attacked the nuts inserted in them.

The red is the new one and it matches the car's color on the other side. :)
                              I also adjusted it properly to the specs described in the Bentley's manual. As an insurance I filled the cavities at the mounts with silicone rubber. It seems those were the places rust attacked first.

It's a little bit more comfortable without pieces of rust falling on my head while driving. :)

I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor so now I get 21.4 MPG and it's below freezing point now.
                              The solution for the rear defroster's problem was a new (used) rear windshield. It's perfect except for one line but I don't care and I have brand new chrome fitting strips which unfortunately cost 5 times more than the windshield they're holding.
                              Last edited by Scywrath; 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM. Reason: completion

Comment

Working...
                              X