Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to R3V - My 89 Delphin 325i Coupe

Hello, R3V!
    I've been a lurker over here for years, had my mind set on finding the right plastic bumper coupe to finally start what I've always wanted: A daily drivable yet trackable e30.
    So I searched craigslist eagerly for months, eventually picked up my very first e30 over this passed summer. 1989 325i Cirrus Blau Coupe 5spd with 180k miles. The bone stock m20 engine purred, transmission shifted great, handled just like a stock e30 should, although the body had some damage to the front end due to a low speed crash with the P.O.(dented hood, buckled up drivers fender) and there was some rust build up on the passenger rocker panel. Now, I'm more mechanically inclined than I am with body work, so I shaped the front end to look presentable in the least (via hammer + prybar LOL) and I rocked that stock e30 for a few months. Turns out I wasn't looking forward to the body work I had ahead of me. Ended up selling her to another new Member here on R3V who has actually just recently created his own Thread about his new e30 project :). After the sale of my first e30 I was really aiming towards getting myself an e36 coupe although I had no idea what laid ahead of me. Literally the day after selling the Cirrus Blau, I pick up e30 #2...

A 1989 Delphin Mettalic 325i Coupe.

240,000 Miles Autotragic...:hitler: The body is in very good shape considering the mileage which is just what I was looking for. Now for the bad - Misfiring engine, Oil leaks everywhere, its automatic, its 100% bone stock. I did a compression test and found that cylinder #3 has 30lbs of compression! The rest of the cylinders were somewhat average. Auto trans took over 3 quarts to get back up to level and the Oil leak was the result of oil pan bolts that were literally loose enough to spin off by hand all the way around. After the oil pan was tightened up I still have a few more oil leaks here and there to address, and it turns out the engine is burning some oil as well. I'm hoping to pull the head off in the next couple weeks and replace valve seals and the like, along with a new water pump, timing belt + tensioner, and some other maintenance required parts that I'm forgetting right now. Well I think that's a good start for now. More info on how things have come along since I bought it (over a month ago now) as soon as I find the time. PLENTY of pics to share as well :pimp:
    Oh...and it has an LSD!!!!!!!!

Some Stock Suspension "LSD Testing" In the rain.
    I Apologize for the terrible quality, realized halfway through the night that the digital camera was in "Compact Mode" HA

My 1989 BMW 325i with an LSD practicing some drift transitions, just still getting used to the feel of it. Its an Automatic and I was in 1st gear the whole ...

The first run forward and back was my best of the entire night.
    Attached Files
    Lol 14 e30s later..

you were better off with the other e30

Comment

I dont think so, I'll have pics up of that one tomorrow. Body work is just not my thing.
      Lol 14 e30s later..

Comment

Nice video!

Comment

its a great base, nice pick up.
          got any plans for it, you know delphin cleans up really nice.

89 325i S50/ZF E36 M3/TI 5lug Style 32s

My feedback Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=219113

Comment

I love that color. Nice ride.

Comment

Originally posted by jp_slick View Post
              its a great base, nice pick up.
              got any plans for it, you know delphin cleans up really nice.
              That it does, thanks!

Eventually (next year most likely) I'm planning on doing an S50 swap. I'm trying to keep costs down so I'm allowing myself plenty of time to source parts for cheap. For now my goals are to get the old M20 up to date and do a 5 speed swap. I already bought a totalled parts car with a complete suspension and all of the parts I need for the Auto-to-Manual switch.
              Lol 14 e30s later..

Comment

Alright on to the pics!!!

Heres some of the original Cirrus Blau.

The front body damage and rot on the passenger side is what turned me away. Plus, this Delphin was a deal ;)

Picked up a totalled 1990 325is 5 speed for just $600. Rhode Island Car - no title, runs and drives although it was hit in the front and the wheel well literally split open. Its got some goodies! Turner Motorsport 3000 1.5" Front and 1.25" Rear lowering springs (I was told these are pretty much H&R reps), Bilstein Sports? (Not too sure), Thicker front and rear sway bar with reinforcement brackets bolted through the trunk, 3A Racing seats with harnesses, Strut Brace, Tenzo R race wheel, and a Short Shift Kit. The engine runs but it doesn't run well, and the P.O. decided to cut the catalytic converter off to hopefully solve the problem...its just loud AND misfiring now. I'm planning on pretty much swapping everything over onto the Delphin.

The damage

Nice otherwise, has been repainted including moldings all the way around.

Low Low Low :)

Not a fan of the blue seats, but it gets the job done.

Alright, so we got cracking these past couple weekends. Sunday is the only real day I have time so its become designated e30 day.

Pics of the progress

Near Perfect fitment, I'm impressed.

Strut Bar swap

Eventually started going wild with spray paint

Got the hood on there, the old one fit much better but the paint was faded pretty good on the top. I think it looks pretty fresh!

Went out drifting in the rain a couple weeks ago, got some good laps around a small rotary and eventually ended up smacking a curb :(

Tire held air and i was able to make it home. Good thing these Bottlecaps are a dime a dozen!

Actually got this on video too!
                My 89 BMW 325i Auto LSD drifting around a small rotary. Curb came closer and closer every time, finally hit it and cracked the rim. Tire is still fine and ...

Little Trans fluid mishap haha

NBD

Swapped out the spare bottle cap, turns out the rest aren't flat black. Need to repaint them all to match.

Got the mint rear bumper on there too. This was before the rear supsension swap.

More of the Rear Suspension Swap

Little bit leaky

In the end, the sway bar and reinforcement brackets are what kept us struggling. What a P.I.T.A.!!! But well worth it. So far we only had time to swap the rear in so it sits like a low rider at the moment. I'm definitely happy with the results. Finally some wheel tuck!

Thats the only real spot of rot on the car ^ as you can see its already been somewhat repaired.

Some funny looking stance I got huh? Check out the RAKE XD

Finished Product with the Blacked out grill, hood, brake duct vents, the middle piece. Thats without the front suspension of course... and thats a 1 Liter bottle of Mountain Dew BTW
                More pics with the suspension coming soon.
                Last edited by SCapelo; 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM. Reason: Fixed Pictures
                Lol 14 e30s later..

Comment

Finally got my front suspension in!

It could definitely be lower, but WOW what a difference.

Some more pics to enjoy.

In need of an iS lip badly.

Ended up bringing her to a local 240sx New England Meet. One owner of a 240sx was so low he literally dropped his oilpan on the highway at 40mph directly in front of me. Oil everywhere. We all pulled over to the breakdown lane and caused traffic for miles BMW Toolkit FTW!!!

Snapped some quick shots outside my house.

And finally heres one of my friends 1990 325i with an M50 + ZF swap.
                  Lol 14 e30s later..

Comment

Nice work, I kinda like the black panels on delphin.
                    Only get three kosei's? Find another and rock those!

Comment

Yeah I love the look so far and the black bottlecaps really don't look too shabby IMO.
                      I have to check ebay for a single kosei, just haven't had the time. As soon as I find it, I'll probably gloss black them and rock them for sure!
                      Lol 14 e30s later..

Comment

looking nice any updates

Comment

haha capelo you're finally on here. posting pics of pats e30..
                          I have the army green e30 by the way.

Comment

So wow its been a while since I've had any updates. Not much has changed lately since the past 4 weekends have been late partying Saturdays and sleep all day Sundays. I think I'm finally going to be having more time and a little more motivation to get this thing road ready since the weather around here has been real wet :). Although there are a few changes of plans. Turns out the low compression in cylinder 3 is the result of blown piston rings... :( All plans to refresh the top end have completely dropped. Instead I'm planning on getting the engine from the Black 325iS running good and doing a complete Drivetrain Swap all together. I've checked compression on this motor and the numbers are much more promising, not great.. but at least I'm not burning oil (All plugs look great) Since the Black 325iS had a cut exhaust, I swapped on the one from the Delphin just to make the diagnosing a little easier on the ears :mrgreen: I'm hoping its something as simple as an injector or a vacuum line, but I haven't really taken a good look at any of these things so I cant say exactly.

Other than that, I've already prepped the Delphin for the Engine+Trans pull. Exhaust, Driveshaft, Trans Mount, Shift Linkage, Fan, Radiator, all hoses + misc. parts, Intake Manifold came off as well (I was originally planning to pull the trans seperately and it seemed much easier to get to the upper bellhousing bolts with this off), AC Compressor + Lines, and more various hoses + wiring. There's only a few things left and this things ready for the pull such as the power steering pump, a few more plugs here and there, and finally the motor mounts. After we pulled all this off we pushed it outside and its been sitting ever since, waiting for me :(

Now, I know this thread Isn't all that exciting here.. so I figured I'd make a little video of me trying to destroy this M20 + Autotragic while I was just 8 feet from the pull :giggle:

I COULD NOT RESIST

Trying to blow up my M20 before I pull it out of the car. I was literally 8 feet from being inside the shop where the pull was gunna take place. Why not th...

I would've gone for a half an hour straight if my Shop wasn't in a neighborhood LOLZ. They didn't mind (this time). Planning this Sunday to tackle the Black 325iS's rough running engine and possibly finish pulling the Drivetrain out of the Delphin. I can not wait for some G260 + 4.10LSD fun, I've never had the pleasure of sliding a lowered e30 on top of that.
                            AWWWLLL RIGHT!
                            Lol 14 e30s later..

Comment

A real 325is - getting harder to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X