Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still a newb! but I bought another one!

*cliffs at bottom*

Some of you might remember me from earlier this year in my intro thread/post about my 84 318i lemons build (more details on how thats going later, not a whole lot of news there). But sometime in september, my girlfriend expressed a lot of interest in getting a car, and I thought it was the right time to buy another project-ish car, and have something to surprise her with on christmas. So I spent a few months looking for the right one locally, I had some basic criteria: Had to have plastic bumpers, had to be an auto, and NO RUST. 318 or 325, 2 dr or 4dr, I didnt care. Luckily I found what I REALLY wanted, a 1990 4 dr 325i auto with 143k on the clock, after looking at 5 or 6 cars with blown up transmissions, this ones transmission actually shifted out of drive, so I was sold. Got it from the guy really cheap, due to a host of cosmetic problems, the engine sounded like it was about to self destruct, radio kinda works, the heater core was bypassed and the windows didnt go down, and one had been left open throughout the rainy season, along with a few other things. Picked it up the week before thanksgiving, limped it home on its maiden 70 mile drive, didnt know if the car was gonna make it due to a horrible misfire (halfway home stopped and pumped it full of chevron 91 and the problem went right away and it drove fine), spent thanksgiving ripping out the interior and trunk panels, steamcleaned everything and got the car as shiny as it was gonna get.

Brought the car to work and hid it from her there for a month, in that time I replaced the blown window fuse and cleaned up the water under the carpet, replaced the plugs, adjusted the valves, replaced the valve cover gasket, rebuilt all the brakes (they were metal to metal), replaced the o2 sensor, fuel and air filters, cleaned the maf and icv, cleaned the engine, reset the service lights, drained the mud that was in the oil pan and filled it up with some m1 15-50, replaced the door seals, and drove it constantly to make sure everything was gonna be ok. Still has a couple issues, but aside from that I think its gonna be a great car. Its a fucking blast to drive. Gave it to her the other night and she was fucking stoked, she has her own list of things she wants to do. But these things need to happen first.

-Remove the nasty ass window tint (its a pita to get off!)
    -Timing belt/water pump
    -Good condition seats
    -Non cracked dash
    -Redo entire stereo system
    -Heater core
    -Respray

Future mods:

-Basketweaves
    -IS Spoilers
    -H&R Sport kit with Bilstein Sports
    -Poly bushings everywhere
    -4.10lsd
    -M50 or cheap S50 (if the m20 ever takes a shit)

Onto pictures!

1998 Mustang-Endless project
    1990 325i Sedan-Needs paint
    1991 318is-New project

Cool car, where are you at?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      Cool car, where are you at?
      Downtown sf! Work in oakland, but originally from morgan hill (thats where the car is at the moment)
      1991 318is-New project

Comment

Sweet! I just helped my GF buy a '91 318 sedan, it is also in need of a major overhaul. We have been getting it done one section at a time haha. Good luck with the new project

Bahama Beige E23 Project
        Bluebird Bus Conversion
        New Oregon Trail

Comment

Oh and her interior is just as bad and it smells haha

Bahama Beige E23 Project
          Bluebird Bus Conversion
          New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
            Oh and her interior is just as bad and it smells haha
            Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
            Sweet! I just helped my GF buy a '91 318 sedan, it is also in need of a major overhaul. We have been getting it done one section at a time haha. Good luck with the new project
            Ya mine was pretty bad when I got it too haha. I really wish I had the patience to take before and after pics, I usually just dive in and start doing stuff right away :loco:
            1991 318is-New project

Comment

If you redo the interior in a different color sell me the door cards.
              Originally posted by LJ851
              I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by corydoitch View Post
                Downtown sf! Work in oakland, but originally from morgan hill (thats where the car is at the moment)
                Sick! I really would like to live in downtown SF at some point in my life.
                I row in Oakland everyday, but I live in Alameda. When the R3V Meet/Drive happens, you need to bring that over for sure.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
                  If you redo the interior in a different color sell me the door cards.
                  Most likely going to keep it this way, the only thing she really wants is some og cloth recaros for the interior
                  Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                  Sick! I really would like to live in downtown SF at some point in my life.
                  I row in Oakland everyday, but I live in Alameda. When the R3V Meet/Drive happens, you need to bring that over for sure.
                  Hell yea! Im most likely picking up another e30 for dd duty for myself within the month, id rather bring that out then her car.
                  1991 318is-New project

Comment

nice.
                    lucky girl.
                    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

The e30 I just bought is also for my girl its going to get its lil upgrades I.e. lowering springs new shocks blahblahblah, anyway im putting another auto tranny on it tomorrow hopefully it will turn out good. Nice find btw im glad to see more girls into e30s.
                      sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Originally posted by NuthinFancy View Post
                        The e30 I just bought is also for my girl its going to get its lil upgrades I.e. lowering springs new shocks blahblahblah, anyway im putting another auto tranny on it tomorrow hopefully it will turn out good. Nice find btw im glad to see more girls into e30s.
                        Seriously, getting so sick of seeing every chick want a mk4 jetta or scion tc. Now if I can just convince her to start tracking it :)
                        1991 318is-New project

Comment

Working...
                        X