Cleaned Up my Butt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned Up my Butt!

I've done a lot to my E30, but it's not done yet. '89 325i, 195K miles, new top end on motor, many issues. I want to get my RGR's mounted, bike rack installed, and peeling roof fixed before I post a proper build thread, but in the meantime the rear end is almost done. This is also my 100 post!

It started like this, faded roundel, non-spoiler i trunk, cracked bumper trim.

The first thing to go was the faded Roundel. The guy who I got my 13 Button OBC hooked me up with a pair for free.

I scored an IS spoiler at the junk yard for $15. The paint was in rough shape, but rubber was intact.

A day of wet sanding cleaned up most of the imperfections.

Well most of them...

Then I hit it with a couple coats of Duplicolor Adhesion Promotor and Bumper Coating

I should have stopped there, but I got greedy and hit it with an extra coat. It got a run, I smudged it, tried to fill it with more paint which wouldn't dry and in an act of shear brilliance tried to speed dry it by holding it near an open flame heater. It caught on fire, in another act of brilliance I blew it out (managed to keep my eye brows somehow), but the damage was done.

So another day of wet sanding and many, many light coats I was able to save it, but it's not perfect. The right way would be to wet sand back to scratch and primer fill the deformations, but my car isn't perfect so I can life with the imperfections.

I used the template in the Tech Forums DIY and it mounted up perfectly. It was nerve racking drilling through my trunk, but I triple checked my measurements.

Mounted

Next I spent an evening wet sanding some black bumper trim I scored from a guy on Bimmerforums. The trim wasn't perfect, but neither is my car so it worked out. A couple coats of Adhesion Promotor and Bumper Coating and they cleaned up nicely.

Here's the finished rear end. At some point I'm going to swap out my chrome 325i logo for a blacked out one.

JOY IS AN E30...

made an enormous difference! great work

Comment

Looks good man, well done!
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Yummy M coupe!

Oh, yes, nice e30 too. Clean car!

COTM

Comment

The black on white is a nice contrast, it makes the iS spoiler look way more substantial than when it's color-matched.
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

Looks good! Make sure to get a plate filler to help the contrast.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

nice job alex! I'd just remove the trunk logo completely though. Looks much cleaner.

Comment

Wow im really liking your workmanship. When I did my iS lip it didn't look nearly as good, even though I didn't light it on fire!!

also, i might suggest a rear plate filler to complete the whole black/white contrast scheme.

this here:
                Last edited by iamsam; 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

@Roland- It does, but after a while I really wanted the badge back when I had the E30 still. Mine needed contrast though in a bad way.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Thanks guys...

I thought about a filler plate, but I'm on a self imposed non-essential E30 spending moratorium for a while! When it's lifted, if nothing else I'll score a black license plate surround.

As for the 325i logo I think the black will give it more of that late '80s, early '90's euro look. I've been searching for an old school Thule Fairing for my rack that would fit that look. The newer Thule Fairings look horrible with the plastic ends. Otherwise I'll go with a Yakama rack. Back to the emblem, I thought about pulling mine off and just painting it, but I'm not sure I could get it remounted in the right spot. The dirt outline should help!
                    JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

here's another idea: find an excuse to dump a bunch of money into suspension and wheels

Comment

Looks great...
                        Nunzio
                        Creative Director & Professor
                        Twitter

2010 Vespa GTS300 | 2000 323iT Euro | 1991 RRC Hunter | 1987 325is (guten build) | 1983 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                          here's another idea: find an excuse to dump a bunch of money into suspension and wheels
                          I've got 4 of these in (4 x 100) the basement. When I spring comes around I'm going to mount a set of BF Goodrich KDW's on them.

Suspension plans are cheap used Bilstien Sports and H&R Springs, but that will be a while...
                          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

DON'T DO KDWs.

Get Star Specs. KDWs SUCK.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Nice little car.
                              Jeez, I wish I could find myself a pair of nice roundels.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Working...
                              X