February 2011, Car of the Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February 2011, Car of the Month

For this month we have csermonet47 and his very clean Killer Calyspo. Enjoy!!!

Factory options:

- 226 Sports Suspension Settings
    - 240 Leather Steering Wheel
    - 281 LM-Rad 6 1/2 X 14
    - 324 Front-Und Heckspoiler
    - 410 Window Lifts, Electronic at Front
    - 428 Warning Triangle
    - 481 Sport Seats F Driver/ Front Passenger
    - 530 Air Conditioning
    - 540 Cruise Control
    - 556 Exterior Temperature Display
    - 675 BMW Sound System

Color: Calypsorot Metallic (252)

Interior color: Natur Leder (0295)

Engine modifications:

- M20B25
    - Jim Conforti Chip
    - Rebuilt Top end at Turner Motorsports

Exhaust: Stock

Transmission: Getrag 260

Differential: 3.73 LSD

Suspension:

- Ground-Control Complete E30 Coilover Kit with Konis and Shortened Strut Housings
    - 400f/550r
    - Ground-Control Touring Camber Plates
    - Ground-Control High Rise RSMs
    (Bushing overhaul this summer hopefully)

Wheels:

- MSW Amil 15x7 et25
    - 10mm spacers in the rear
    - 5mm spacers in the front
    - Fresh Powdercoat
    - NOS Center Caps
    - Triangle Talon Sport 205/50/15
    - UUC Rotors
    - Vorshlag Wheel Stud Kit

Exterior modifications:

- IS Lip
    - Euro Plate Filler
    - Euro Plate
    - M-technic Euro Plate Frame
    - Euro Trim
    - US Ellipsoids
    - Plastidip’d Rear Spoiler
    - Lots ‘o’ Detailing
    - Otherwise All Originale

Interior modifications:

- Alpine Headunit
    - Alpine Amp
    - Monster Cable All Around
    - MB Quart Speakers All Around
    - Cecil Floor Mats
    - Leather eBay Shift Boot
    - Rear Battery Cover
    - Rare Trunk Boxes
    - Warning Triangle
    - UUC Clutch Stop
    - Lots ‘o’ Detailing
    - Otherwise All Originale

Story behind the car:

I had a few cars before this one, a 1964 International Scout (sold after a month because I realized I didn’t know what the hell I was doing), a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, and a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. After realizing the bro-scene was not for me, I decided I wanted something a bit different from what I saw around where I lived. I looked into the E30 and really liked the shape and how cheap they could be found. Before I knew it, this fell into my lap. The car was purchased off eBay in February of 2009 from Texas sight unseen. With a promising description and mediocre pictures, I could only hope for the best.

The previous owner was the second owner and had purchased the car with 75k on the clock from the original owner in Las Vegas. He drove the car around for a while until the timing belt went. The top end needed to be rebuilt, so he took it to Turner Motorsports to have all the work done. He was a freak about keeping everything documented. He scanned every single receipt and saved them for reference. Even down to a six dollar headlight. He recorded where he got gas, how much he paid, how much he got, and his average miles per gallon between fill-ups. My Dad had a friend out on a business trip in Texas, and he offered to drive the car back to Georgia. Everything seemed to check out and he made it back without a hiccup.

I got the car and went back and forth on whether to keep it all original or start modifying. I chose the latter as it is just an E30 and there are plenty more out there. There is no need to preserve the species with a stock specimen; that is what museums are for. I decided I would lower it a bit, and it all went downhill from there. Wheels, tires, and some other little bits here and there and here it is today. I have just poured my money into this car ever since and I honestly couldn’t be happier with how it has turned out. There are a few more things I would like to do to the car, but I don’t know if I will ever be done with its evolution.

I was shocked when I got picked for car of the month seeing as I rarely post. I tend to keep my mouth shut as I feel there are much more knowledgeable people on here than myself. As my Dad once told me, “There is no greater expression of ignorance than the expression of an uninformed opinion.” With so many great cars on here, I’m not quite sure how I managed this, but I am honored that I did. Thanks again!

A bit after I first got the car:

Note the awesome "smoked" high beams:

Suspension install:

Credit to Halston on the roller.

Credit to my friend Jonathon McWhorter for a majority of the pictures. His flickr can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanmcwhorter/

Thanks again!

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Figured this car would pop up here eventually. Beautiful and different, one of the few calypso's I like.
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

yes, yes, yes!

One of my new favorite cars on this site.

Comment

We have a winner!

Comment

That's so, so nice.

And nice is meant as a full-blown compliment - it ticks enough of the boxes to mean it's a great looking car that would be great to use as a daily and a sporting rig. 900hp track monsters are cool, but it's also great to see people keeping these things looking and driving as BMW intended
          Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Such a great looking car. only thing I suggest is putting the weaves back on.

Comment

This thing is such a joy to look at and ride in. Props on Car of the Month!

Comment

Love the floor mats. Cecil Floor Mats???? I googled and found nothing

Comment

February Car of the Month

I saw this beautiful e30 at 4ngiefest in Atlanta this past April and was blown away. I was so impressed I took a couple of photos.

This car is deserving of the car of the month. I hope to see it again this year. They just don't get any better than this.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

I love this car. It's so clean and simple! Could use a set of chrome tips though :p

1992 BMW 325iC
                    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I really like those wheels. Probably top five for me.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
                      ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
                      Originally posted by JakeP
                      with a coathanger

Comment

sick car BRO!

Comment

Absolutely perfect.
                          M Coupe

Comment

I would LOVE to own that

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                            RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Love it.
                              Originally posted by HarryPotter
                              not to be racist but i've had multiple african americans comment on how they love my car. I've seen pics of e30's rolling through africa with at least 15-20 africans on them with ak-47's. WILD. its in the african blood. Hope this wasn't too racist, forgive me as I am intoxicated.
                              Instagram: @jstnlws

Comment

Working...
                              X