Summer Project: 91' 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Project: 91' 318i

So I've had this thing since last summer but I'm finally gunna be able to put some time into it as college is a month and a half away from being over. I bought my daily driver zowie (see sig) last summer as well but soon after I started driving it I realized this was not going to be a shell i could keep for a long time (rusty as fuck). So I set out on a search for a clean plastic bumpered shell. One day I was driving to work and spotted it amongst some other thorn apart e30's. I left a note on it for the owner and a few weeks later I had it for $300 and a 3.73 lsd. My original plan was to just swap the m20 from my 88 in to it but through some old connections I was able to source a lower mileage m20 that was in an automatic then I found a 5 speed tranny and never looked back. So now all I have to do is start putting it together, I am on spring break now so I've been able to spend some time preping everything for summer. Heres some pics of the progress so far everything is still pretty raw so bear with me:

Its dirty as shit I know

Also I was hoping someone on here could help me out, what is the easiest way to tell if an m20 is jetronic instead of motronic? The reason I ask is because when I went to rewire the engine today (who ever took it out cut all the wires to do so) I noticed that the fuel rail on the intake that came with it looks different than the m20 in my 88. Now this caused some concern for me because the wiring harness I bought and car the m20 is going in to are both late models. Does this mean i have to convert it to motronic? and if it does what does that parts list look like? Thanks in advance and I'll update as this develops.

-Brent

We are ze twins.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      We are ze twins.
      ha so we are sweet build thread man im loving the 4 doors right now

Comment

hell yeah man!
        plus its (arguably) one of the nicest colors BMW ever made..
        (here's mine polished up around when I bought it - all stock back then)

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

i agree love that reflection sadly the clear coat is pealing pretty bad in some spots on mine, im going to do all the body and paint work to it once i get it running.

Comment

Why on earth would you swap in an M20 into that car?
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Brezzi View Post
              i agree love that reflection sadly the clear coat is pealing pretty bad in some spots on mine, im going to do all the body and paint work to it once i get it running.
              Mine is peeling in spots as well.
              If you repaint it, you should really stick with Diamantschwarz.
              Yeah, and may I ask, why M20?

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

right headlights sideways
                Originally posted by Lof8
                Seriously. Every black wheel, regardless of spoke design, looks the same from more than 3 feet away.

Comment

I'm doing this on a broke college kids budget and so far everything excluding the 300 cash I paid for the shell has basically been free. So to answer the question of why m20 its because it was free. And I know the headlight is crooked this will be getting the elipsodes from my 88 as well as a whole bunch of other parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X