Engine fire aftermath...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine fire aftermath...

So my car was having running issues and thanks to a fellow member we got it all sorted out after spending countless hours going through the entire motor. Turns out I the new dizzy cap I bought was a dud. So the car started running great again and it was business as usual.

I drove the car for about an hour after the repair with no issue. Stopped to double check everything looked fine. Got up yesterday morning, checked all the lines and wires again, put about 280 miles on the car for work and came home. Took off my suit, changed clothes and left to go run errands. After starting the car it was running awful so I started to pull it into the driveway and there was smoke pouring out from under the hood.

Went to pop the hood, latch broke. Ran inside, got a long flathead and when I came back out, there was smoke everywhere. Got the hood popped and my engine was on fire in the front above the distributor. Some random kid like an angel showed up with a fire extinguisher and I got the fire out rather quickly. Fire department showed up, offered that that I did a good job putting it out and recorded the vin so the car could not be resold. I let it cool down for about an hour, grabbed some degreaser and a hose and went to town cleaning up the engine bay. Here's the aftermath:

I am almost certain I know why this happened. I replaced the FPR on the front of the fuel rail and had a hell of a time getting it to seat properly. I am assuming that it wasn't seated properly and after driving a little while it came loose enough to leak some fuel on the front of the hot motor. When I fired it up, boom. Any ideas on how to get the new FPR seated properly?

Here's what I know I need to replace:
    FI and front sensor wiring harness - going to PNP in a few to get one. Probably going to just grab the entire wiring harness rather than cut and splice.
    Fan shroud - PNP, not a necessity since there are no clearance issues but while I'm in there, why not?
    Alt. belt - Got it last night
    Dipstick - PNP
    Diagnostic plug cover and tps - PNP
    AFM - Already have one although I think the plastic on mine is just warped but what the hell.
    FPR - Got one
    Fuel line to FPR - Got it
    Vacuum line - Got it
    Main relay cover - PNP
    Hood Latch - PNP

Most of the damage was caused when the hood insulation melted over the engine bay. I am very lucky the fire didn't penetrate the fuel line enough to cause any major damage. Realistically should have the car up and running today.

Do you think I'm missing anything? Any suggestions for a check over before I fire the car back up?

The big issue: My fiancee wants to leave our wedding in this car (it has been our "together" project since we first started dating and there is a ton of sentimental value. I don't have time to repaint the hood before the wedding and I am hoping that someone has a Schwarz hood out there for a reasonable price that I can clean up and put on the car, hence why I posted in the Southeast forums a WTB and mainly the reason I am posting in members rides. If you can help, please let me know.

I've fixed way worse and have no intention of scrapping the car. I will be selling all of my 2.7i stuff over the next few weeks so fund an M50 swap. I love my ETA but the wifey says it's time for M/S50 swap. I do what she says. Thanks for any help in advance.

FARK, i hate burnt shit. Sorry to hear
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
    first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

HOLY SH*T!!! Glad your ok and most of the car. Hit up Rigmaster for the bonnet, he may have one on his farm.

The only thing I think your missing is one of these....seriously. This should be close by anyway.

COTM

Comment

Dooode that sux man! Glad it didn't totaly fry everything.
        We could paint the hood pretty quickly if you can't find one the same color.
        I've been getting better at spraying. Although the bugs have been getting better at finding my fresh sticky paint.

Comment

bullocks

Comment

damn, sorry to hear. I second hitting up Rigmaster for bits and pieces. I'm going out to his farm next week and then through Greenville next Friday. I can drop the hood off to you if it works out....
            '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

I have an eta harness out of a 1987 325e. You can have it for free if you want to pay shipping.
              450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

Comment

Originally posted by BoxDriver86 View Post

I've fixed way worse and have no intention of scrapping the car. I will be selling all of my 2.7i stuff over the next few weeks so fund an M50 swap. I love my ETA but the wifey says it's time for M/S50 swap. I do what she says. Thanks for any help in advance.
                Thats one cool wifey
                ^M52B28^

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                  HOLY SH*T!!! Glad your ok and most of the car. Hit up Rigmaster for the bonnet, he may have one on his farm.

The only thing I think your missing is one of these....seriously. This should be close by anyway.
                  Picked up a new one today at Harbor Freight. Couldn't believe how little was in mine!

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                  Dooode that sux man! Glad it didn't totaly fry everything.
                  We could paint the hood pretty quickly if you can't find one the same color.
                  I've been getting better at spraying. Although the bugs have been getting better at finding my fresh sticky paint.
                  I ordered some paint from the local supply store today and I've been itching to use my Strata gun but if it doesn't work out I will definitely PM you. Thanks!

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                  damn, sorry to hear. I second hitting up Rigmaster for bits and pieces. I'm going out to his farm next week and then through Greenville next Friday. I can drop the hood off to you if it works out....
                  If he has a Schwarz hood that would be great. I have had my eyes on that mint dash in his ix though...but I want to pull it myself so I have better luck putting it back in! Thanks!

Originally posted by RagtopE30 View Post
                  I have an eta harness out of a 1987 325e. You can have it for free if you want to pay shipping.
                  Got one today but thanks so much!

So I swung out to my local PNP and the owner decided to hang out while I pulled the engine harness and a few odds and ends. He couldn't believe my story and felt pretty bad (I spend a LOT of time there). Here's what I got:
                  Full '87 ETA wiring harness (automatic car with 6 button OBC, will this work? Mine is a manual with a 12 button OBC), dipstick, oil cap, FPR, AFM, Relay cover, valve cover, intake manifold, fuel rail with injectors, hood insulation with hardware and all the nuts, bolts and screws.

Here's the kicker, the owner told me that it was all free and I should call it an early wedding present! The people in the south are just incredible!

I have to head to Jersey this weekend to finalize stuff for the wedding but will be back in NC on Sunday to start tearing down the car. Hopefully it doesn't rain since the car is parked in the street and I will have to fix it there. The driveway is uphill and I have no help moving it.

My insurance company is not covering the damages since they say it was my own fault for not repairing the car correctly or hiring a certified shop. No need to argue on that one, just need to get to work.

Comment

Originally posted by I*Do*Werke View Post
                    Thats one cool wifey
                    You have absolutely no idea. Before we moved to the South I got laid off (Pfizer drug rep FTL) and she paid my Lotus payments so I could keep it. She suggested I buy the e30.

And since I know people will ask...

Now you have pics of wife so no banning me.

Comment

...and recorded the vin so the car could not be resold.
                      Wait, what? Educate me.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

YIKES!

Actually it really doesn't look that bad- looks like you got it put out very quickly.

I have 1 black (Schwarz) hood, and it's not in great shape, but probably a little better than the one you have.

That 87 eta harness should work fine, as long as your car has the round C101 connector (main harness connector that ties into the body harness) and not the rectangular one.

Oh, the dash I had FS is sold. :(

Andre'- if you're going to Greenville anyway, you can skip my place and take the trans straight to the guy who needs it. It'll save you some miles coming to my place first.
                        Let me know if that would work, and I'll confirm with him.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's in all states but if a car is in a fire in any way the VIN is recorded so the car cannot be resold. The fire department records this and sends the information to the DMV. It's a great practice since so many cars are brought back from engine fires and sold to unknowing owners. This information will appear from DMV records and also any Carfax. The car will have to be put on an "R" or "Salvage" title if resold meaning there will be limitations for any future owner as far as title, license and insurance is concerned.

Another neat note on this, in the event that your insurance company is notified of this it is possible that comprehensive and collision insurance will no longer be available for the car, just liability.

Good news. I am keeping my e30 forever. Get used to me R3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmaster View Post

I have 1 black (Schwarz) hood, and it's not in great shape, but probably a little better than the one you have.
                            No worries on the dash. It's not a priority right now. If you have any time over the next few days I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the hood. You can e-mail it to pgeraghty0 at yahoo.com. Only if you have time, don't go out of your way.

I'm certain if it's not rusty I can bring it back. :)

Comment

yikes, scary stuff!

I had a dream last week i was driving down the highway and flames starting shooting out from under my hood onto the windshield. :S

Comment

Working...
                              X