Weekend #4 = Super Happy E30 funtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend #4 = Super Happy E30 funtime

Well 2 more days well spent working on my bimmer during the 2 hottest TN summer days we've had this year..

Spent most of Saturday in Clarkrange pulling all the parts for my 5 speed swap in a import junkyard.. and when it's 94 degrees outside there's only one way to remove transmission parts from a car. This is the donor car for the drive shaft, pedals, and slave cylinder we needed.

Here's a pic of the Getrag 260 - Was a steal.. bought it and all the parts need for the swap for $150 cash.

The guy also had this nifty 735i that runs and drives but needs a torque converter.

Today we finally got all the accessory belts back on no problem. Afterwards we went to some auto parts stores to round up some misc. hoses and then proceeded to drop the exhaust to make way for the new tranny.

The only problem we ran into was this....

What the hell is this part and where does it get hooked back up to.. whoever removed it did not label it the way everything else is so I was hoping surely some here would know.

Don't remember the name of it, but it looks like something that normally goes into the bottom of the throttle body.

Comment

The unit is a purge valve and electronically allows unburned gases to enter through the throttle body. It connects between the throttle body and the charcoal canister.

Comment

Is that a VW 412 in the background of the first pic?

Comment

Um, I think you have the aux. belts on upside down :?

Comment

Originally posted by boom-monkey
            Um, I think you have the aux. belts on upside down :?
            Some have the "creases" on the inside and some like his have them on the outside. You would have to be an ape to put them in upside down.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

did you actually work under a car held up by a tractor?
              BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                I was wondering the same.

I guess that is one way to make going to a junkyard more exciting.
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Is that a VW 412 in the background of the first pic?
                  Yes it is.. I think he has 2 or 3 or them. He says he makes alot of money selling the engines out of them but otherwise they're ugly as sin.

Um, I think you have the aux. belts on upside down
                  No sir, these are the Dayco belts that have small notches on the top instead of notches on the inside belt. Notice the belt lables are facing up.

Yeah.. but trust me.. the car wasn't going anywhere and it made taking the parts off 10 times easier considering the summer heat was intense that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                    Yeah.. but trust me.. the car wasn't going anywhere and it made taking the parts off 10 times easier considering the summer heat was intense that day.
                    Good luck with all that.
                    BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                      10 times easier until a hydraulic line burts, the car comes down and you get crushed.

I use a tractor as a lift sometimes as well, but I always brace it (which means working on cement or a hard surface) with a pallet, large metal bar or something... never work under a hydraulic jack of any kind, whether its from a hand operated one from pep boys or a tractor.

Be safe. Its hard to enjoy cars when your skull is crushed.

Comment

junkyard visits are alway exciting --but that place looks like it would have snakes coiled up in dark places !!!

just be careful !!!
                        --Hayden--
                        '87 325 coupe- Trak Rat
                        '93 318is- 4cyl's of fury
                        '92 Integra GS-R--yeah, its fast..
                        www.G2IC.com

Comment

We only used the tractor to help flip it onto it's side... never ran into any snakes but there was a yellow jacket nest in the door we had to take out first. :blowup:

Weekend #5 starts this weekend I had to skip this past weekend to put shocks, struts, and wheel bearing on my mom's E36. I'll be sure to get plenty of pics.

Comment

Working...
                          X