Just picked it up! Help me make it great. (Lots of pics)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Originally posted by Timp
    This sounds like a good plan. I could even start off with that Pioneer head unit so I have something that actually works, keep an eye out for the premium sound system and work my way up from there. I'm seeing those HU's online, refurbished by Pioneer for $100ish with a warranty. I've never had a bad experience with refurbished electronics to be honest... any reason not to go with that? Also, how difficult would all of that (speakers, tweeters, amp, etc.) be to wire? Considering I have very little experience beyond wiring in a head unit on my old car.

    Thanks for the great suggestions by the way.

    Also, my last question for any takers: The car has trouble with hills/inclines I've noticed... Not sure if this is the nature of the ETA engine or if something else is wrong and perhaps the engine is overall sluggish. If I'm in 5th gear at 2K RPM, it almost always loses speed, even when I nearly floor it. Is this normal?
    Firrst, if I had an ETA, I would find a complete 327i swap and do it. You should be able to do the whole damn thing for $500 or so, Stephens is a beast, as are the other 2 I have been in. Don't let all the internet bullshit scare you, it rocks.

    2nd, a 3.73LSD and you will shock quite a few cars out there.

    The refurb decks often have bugs worked out of them, so do that...but you can also get them for $115 or so, new.

    That deck is the best thing going, unless you need sattelite or bluetooth. Nearly perfect color match, too. The USB kicks ass.

    The thing to look for in PS speakers is cone color. Generally, if they are nice and dark (they were originally black cones) and have no rattles, they will be terrific.

    There is only going to be 1 or 2 more runs of R3V boxes ever. When GAS gets up and running, I will discontinue R3V boxes competely, so you will have to pay more for the same thing, but covered in an epoxy paint so it will be water-resistant. Get some cash together when you see the posting.

    You may wanna jump on one of the "sharktooth" woofers now, you will never find that good a woofer under $150, ever... and they are still $34.

    Luke

    Leave a comment:


  • BMC227
    replied
    bumpers.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pantless Spency
    replied
    Nice car sir, i hope your not related to TimR

    Leave a comment:


  • Timp
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    How much are you willing to spend on some decent tunes?

    You can do a Pioneer DEH6300 and a ful set of PS speakers for about $200. It would be a good start, but not exactly stunning. Add a small 4 channel amp, like the MB Quart Onyx 4.60 and things will be better. You could also use one of my subwoofer boxes and an inexpensive 10" woofer, you would run the bass and the front speaker from the amp...that combo sounds absolutely amazing and is still upgradeable.
    This sounds like a good plan. I could even start off with that Pioneer head unit so I have something that actually works, keep an eye out for the premium sound system and work my way up from there. I'm seeing those HU's online, refurbished by Pioneer for $100ish with a warranty. I've never had a bad experience with refurbished electronics to be honest... any reason not to go with that? Also, how difficult would all of that (speakers, tweeters, amp, etc.) be to wire? Considering I have very little experience beyond wiring in a head unit on my old car.

    Thanks for the great suggestions by the way.

    Also, my last question for any takers: The car has trouble with hills/inclines I've noticed... Not sure if this is the nature of the ETA engine or if something else is wrong and perhaps the engine is overall sluggish. If I'm in 5th gear at 2K RPM, it almost always loses speed, even when I nearly floor it. Is this normal?

    Leave a comment:


  • 325ix
    replied
    Maintenance
    clean engine bay
    a drop
    euro bumpers and valence
    euro weaves

    That car is nice, I love the interior. Keep an eye out for plaid sport seats.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30trooper
    replied
    I head swap
    Lowness
    ellips
    bumper tuck
    clean up the engine bay , change all parts needed.
    wax wax wax.

    I love houndstooth int. Gl man!

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    How much are you willing to spend on some decent tunes?

    You can do a Pioneer DEH6300 and a ful set of PS speakers for about $200. It would be a good start, but not exactly stunning. Add a small 4 channel amp, like the MB Quart Onyx 4.60 and things will be better. You could also use one of my subwoofer boxes and an inexpensive 10" woofer, you would run the bass and the front speaker from the amp...that combo sounds absolutely amazing and is still upgradeable.

    Car looks nice, keep it classy!

    Leave a comment:


  • Tree18is
    replied
    another member here has the identical car. looks sweet

    Leave a comment:


  • KamakaziX
    replied
    Originally posted by Timp
    The stereo in this car sucks. Would finding the premium sound package be better than just swapping out the 4 speakers with something a little more high-end and putting in a good head unit?
    I had a cheap JVC headunit and stock (I believe) premium speakers in my last car. It sounded pretty good I thought. And fairly picky when it comes to sound.

    Leave a comment:


  • Timp
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestion Drew. I've added it to the list of stuff I need to do...

    So I looked in the manual, and the last full BMW II service was back in '98. Ever since then, there's been a few timing belt, water pump notes and random notes on the sides for the years after.

    The car was driven less and less after 2000. I think this is when she got her other car. Average(ish) per year miles went from about 11,000 miles per year from '86 to 2000, 6,500 miles per year from 2000 to 2002, and 2,500 miles per year from then to 2005. Anyway, not sure if that means much but I guess I have a lot of maintenance to catch up on.

    The car has trouble with hills/inclines I've noticed... Not sure if this is the nature of the ETA engine or if something else is wrong and the engine is overall sluggish. If I'm in 5th gear at 2K RPM, it almost always loses speed, even when I nearly floor it. Is this normal?

    Leave a comment:


  • DREWHALL
    replied
    Not included in those services. If you have all the service records and it doesn't say anywhere specifically about the radiator being replaced more than likely it wasn't done, at least at the dealer. I would put a new one in there soon. Would make the bay look cleaner anyway and avoid headaches later.

    Car looks clean though! My opinion on speakers, just get some nice speakers of the factory size with a nice head unit and call it a day. If you really want nice sound talk to StereoInstaller on here, he's an audio genius.

    Leave a comment:


  • Timp
    replied
    I went crazy on the engine bay today with some super clean. Beneath all the dirt and crud was more dirt and crud, so I'll be going back and doing a second cleaning session soon. I'll post pictures too.

    Originally posted by grippymonkey
    any history of the Radiator being replaced? the one you have looks like it may be ready to crack
    I have no record of it from what I know. Unless it's included in the 'BMW I' and 'BMW II' inspections in the owner's manual. The woman who owned the car before kept good track of all the work done on the car.

    The transmission and diff fluid will need to be changed. The timing belt and water pump were actually changed in January along with a bunch of hoses.

    The stereo in this car sucks. Would finding the premium sound package be better than just swapping out the 4 speakers with something a little more high-end and putting in a good head unit?

    Leave a comment:


  • acolella76
    replied
    shameless plug: buy my painted intake manifold.

    Looks nice, just get some degreaser and go to town on that engine bay.

    Leave a comment:


  • bernzpeed
    replied
    with engine warm, spray with simple green and start scrubbing, then power wash.

    Leave a comment:


  • YeOldeBuggy
    replied
    Fuck all that noise, clean the engine bay, make all of the shit right in it, and drive it. Fuck mods, that car is pristine looking.

    Thad.

    Leave a comment:

Working...