Worst car ever gets Fikse FM5s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean View Post
    I am not going to argue, yes technically E36 is better in terms of chassis stiffness, suspension and ability to handle bigger tires out of the box...but e30 can still be faster... look at Mike Akard's cars just as an example.

It just takes more effort to go faster in E30 i think, but doesn't mean E36 is automatically is faster imho.
    Yea...Akard's E30 has been converted to run full E36 rear suspension. That's hardly cheap or within the fabrication abilities of 99% of people on this board. At any prep level below that silliness, E36 is a better performance platform.

Granted, both cars are insanely fun to drive on track.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I am not going to argue, yes technically E36 is better in terms of chassis stiffness, suspension and ability to handle bigger tires out of the box...but e30 can still be faster... look at Mike Akard's cars just as an example.

It just takes more effort to go faster in E30 i think, but doesn't mean E36 is automatically is faster imho.

And money... and fab skills. Bryan Watt's CMod car would destroy Mike's car but that is neither here nor there. Bryan has a S54 and fully custom front suspension. That is a moot point. You could make an E21 faster and handle better than an E30.

I am talking in terms of your basic bolt on suspension upgrades, camber adjustments, bushings and the like. E36 is better. And yes it is automatically faster. E36 325iS versus E30 325iS the E36 is faster all around in terms of raw performance. The suspension is just plain better.

As said I do love E30s but I have driven both at speed on track, auto-x and just fun driving. E36 is better. Just like E46 is better. Properly do an E46 and it handles better than an E36. That is not saying that the E30 does not handle well or it sucks. LOVE E30s. I sold one and ended up months back into another one ;)

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
        And money... and fab skills. Bryan Watt's CMod car would destroy Mike's car but that is neither here nor there. Bryan has a S54 and fully custom front suspension. That is a moot point. You could make an E21 faster and handle better than an E30.

I am talking in terms of your basic bolt on suspension upgrades, camber adjustments, bushings and the like. E36 is better. And yes it is automatically faster. E36 325iS versus E30 325iS the E36 is faster all around in terms of raw performance. The suspension is just plain better.

As said I do love E30s but I have driven both at speed on track, auto-x and just fun driving. E36 is better. Just like E46 is better. Properly do an E46 and it handles better than an E36. That is not saying that the E30 does not handle well or it sucks. LOVE E30s. I sold one and ended up months back into another one ;)
        Cool!

So, in your hands on experience E36 325is was faster than E30 325is with the same driver, same track etc... Were these both stock or both had similar mods? What was the full weight on both? What gearing, what tires?

I just like to look at the data before going either way... :)
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I like it but it is one of the loudest you can get. My favorite part is the burbles while engine braking... wonderful.
          If I end up with an E36 M3 this will be the exhaust I get then. I love loud! This thread has convinced me to save my money I was going to spend on my IX and get an M3 to compliment it.

Comment

Nice car dude. I have a 95 e36 Dakar coupe...and an e30 as well. My e36 has 40k on it though and is 100% stock. This thread has really made me want to mod it, but I'm having a hard time wanting to do so since its so mint and nice still after all these years.

Off topic rant there...but nice cars man!

Comment

Oh, and all the e30 vs. e36 talk. Stock for stock...hell even stock e36 m3 vs. my e30...I prefer just about every aspect of the e36.

Comment

Cool!

So, in your hands on experience E36 325is was faster than E30 325is with the same driver, same track etc... Were these both stock or both had similar mods? What was the full weight on both? What gearing, what tires?

I just like to look at the data before going either way... :)

If you want to go that far yes with the same driver and such... the E36 325iS will be faster. Both stock. It's just better ;)

You don't need data. Look at the rear suspension. One is obviously of a better design. Look at the cars body and aero. Then look at the brakes and potential tire sizing. Etc.

I fully understand what you are getting at and totally understand love for E30s but when you get down to it the E36 is a better chassis if performance is your goal.

Just my 2 cents. As said I have quite a bit of seat time in both vehicles. My current E36 m3 with just coilovers and sticky tires is and was better than my 88 325iS which wasn't much more to do to make it handle better.

With all that said... I will be tracking the current E30. So as you can see they are still fun to drive but if I am going to try and set a fast lap around the track and there is an 89 325iS or a 95 325iS... I'll get into the E36.

Comment

4 door dakar is amazing! I would love to own one instead of my E30.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                    4 door dakar is amazing! I would love to own one instead of my E30.

Wowsers... you might get banned for that.

I always told myself if I get an E36 M3 I would sell it and buy 10 E30s. Even if they E30s didn't even run they would still be better cars.

Comment

nice wheels but i have a different perspective of MY95 M3s

Comment

Wowsers... you might get banned for that.

I always told myself if I get an E36 M3 I would sell it and buy 10 E30s. Even if they E30s didn't even run they would still be better cars.
                        and yet.....

haha.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I think most of the e36 hate is about the regular model looks, that and everyone secretly knows the e36 is faster.

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                            Oh, and all the e30 vs. e36 talk. Stock for stock...hell even stock e36 m3 vs. my e30...I prefer just about every aspect of the e36.
                            apples and oranges lol.

If you want to go that far yes with the same driver and such... the E36 325iS will be faster. Both stock. It's just better ;)

You don't need data. Look at the rear suspension. One is obviously of a better design. Look at the cars body and aero. Then look at the brakes and potential tire sizing. Etc.

Just my 2 cents. As said I have quite a bit of seat time in both vehicles. My current E36 m3 with just coilovers and sticky tires is and was better than my 88 325iS which wasn't much more to do to make it handle better.

With all that said... I will be tracking the current E30. So as you can see they are still fun to drive but if I am going to try and set a fast lap around the track and there is an 89 325iS or a 95 325iS... I'll get into the E36.
                            I am not talking about M3 vs regular 325i...I was askign specifically about e36 325is vs e30 325is with same driver and variables.

What was the weight and gearing/ tires on both?

Of course e36 m3 with more hp/tq is going to be faster than e30 325is lol.

Anyways, nice and clean m3 :)
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

apples and oranges lol.

I am not talking about M3 vs regular 325i...I was askign specifically about e36 325is vs e30 325is with same driver and variables.

What was the weight and gearing/ tires on both?

Of course e36 m3 with more hp/tq is going to be faster than e30 325is lol.

Anyways, nice and clean m3 :)
                              He was talking about 325 v. 325.

Comment

I said it in this thread. A stock 95 325iS versus a stock 89 325iS. Look at the performance numbers... the E36 is going to be faster in all areas of the track.

Comment

Working...
                                X