Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bimmerman's E30, E36 M3, and Subaru Manwagon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bimmerman's E30, E36 M3, and Subaru Manwagon.

Hi all, I've been a member here for a while (4 years almost) but haven't posted pics of any of my cars....time to fix that.

Originally I had an E30, and it was glorious. 1989 325i

Mods/Details:
    -1989 325i
    -261k miles, many track
    -5 speed (naturally)
    -Black leather on tan
    -OMP Driver Seat
    -Schroth Rallye4 ASM harnesses (for DE and Autocross mostly, but DOT legal and Safe)
    -Custom Dinan Motorsport chip
    -Dinan intake with M30 AFM
    -Rebuilt head with <30k
    -Z4 short shifter
    -Eibach Pro-Kit springs and sways on Bilstein HDs
    -Falken RT-615s on stock bottlecaps
    -4.10 LSD from an E30 M3 (awesome!)
    -rear seat/passenger delete
    -Offset E30 M3 CAB
    -SS Lines, Hawk HP+ pads, stock rotors (amazing braking power)
    -straight pipes to some Borla muffler

Below are some E30 detailed pictures, done by Bishop. I'm not super happy with my pictures, as the car looked a million times better in person. I just suck as a photographer. That, and overcast weather doesn't give the best lighting, so take that for what it's worth.

Car hadn't been washed in a year beforehand (I was in Germany), I'm owner number 7 or 8, the car has over 50k of track miles/hard use before I got it, and has the original outside-weathered paint. Which is why the transformation is all the more impressive.

Anyway, on to the pics! Pay close attention to the quality of the reflections on the paint....the car is like a deep mirror.

This one looks weird because I was playing with the polarizer. I kinda like how it came out though!

And finally, the money shot: the hood.

I bought this car to be the track car and long term project instead of my Subaru Manwagon. I drove the piss out of the E30 for a few years, modded it a bit, and enjoyed it, but mine had a number of issues. While I was in Germany I, being a bored engineer with excel and the internet, added up how much it would cost to build the E30 to have an S5x, coilovers, wide sticky tires, and bigger brakes for track prep/eventual GTS* duty....and realized that it would cost more money to do that to the E30 than to just buy an E36 M3 that was well known locally, already had all the parts I wanted on it, and had over a hundred thousand less miles. So I bought it, and when I got back from Germany, I autocrossed both cars. I'm a heretic on this site because of it, but I ended up preferring the E36 as a dual duty DD and fun car, so the E30 got sold to fund the E36.

Which brings me to my 1995 M3. 152k.....many of which are track miles.

Currently she's running on OEM contours and studded snows. I'll try and grab a picture when she's clean.

Mods/Details
    -Late 1995 production
    -5 speed
    -156xxx Miles (motor runs great)
    -Hellrot red
    -Black interior w/heated vader seats
    -Euro floating two piece front rotors
    -Pagid Orange brake pads (analogous to Hawk HT-10s)
    -17x8.5 Kosei K1 wheels w/Dunlop Z1 star spec tires (4 wheels/tires)
    -17X7 OEM contours w/studded winter tires (4 wheels/tires)
    -TC Kline Double adjustable shocks
    -650 lb/in front, 700 lb/in rear springs
    -Vorshalg camber plates
    -Conforti intake
    -Turner motorsport (Conforti) chip
    -Rogue short shifter
    -UUC TSE exhaust
    -Front strut bar
    -Solid rear shock mounts
    -Treehouse Racing Lower Control Arm bushings
    -325is front swaybar (larger than stock M3)
    -Welded in Z3 front shock tower reinforcement plates

This car is insanely fun. I discovered the brake pads were track-only pads while driving around in -10F weather. That was fun, they actually do work when that cold. Kinda. Eventual plans are to build the car for the Pikes Peak Hillclimb (and GTS4) in 2013 or 2014 after I get my Masters, with NA S54 power. Granted, that will mean I need a new DD....so we'll see if that happens. It might just stay a silly fun car in the vein of the Porsche GT3 RS, but the S54 is going to happen.

Here's the E36 as she sits now. Sparco Evo2 Plus, Schroth Profi Hybrid-II, TCK 4pt Roll Bar, VAC Motorsports harness and seat mounting hardware.

I miss the E30, but I really needed the money to fund this venture.

After getting some things sorted, I took the car to High Plains Raceway (HPR) for a track day. Car still needs a second Evo2 Plus and a shock rebuild, but it performed flawlessly on track. I have to say, while I love the Dunlop Star Specs, the Hankook RS3 is way better as a track tire.

Anyway, pics! Car is dirty, we drove through sleet and a bit of snow to get to the track.

Anyway, those be my cars.
    Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

manwagon pics!

Comment

Originally posted by colorado_cabrio View Post
      manwagon pics!
      Haha will do when I get home. I figured there are a few subaru folks here, but didnt know if anyone would be interested.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

10 bucks says this thread will only be populated by mountain folk...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
          10 bucks says this thread will only be populated by mountain folk...
          haha probably true. Meh, I'm just as happy to have a thread for all the cars to keep track.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I call it: Project MANWAGON, aka Badass Daily Driver. I like Subarus too. Sue me.

I don't seem to have any newer pictures, those are a few years old.....I'll get some new ones up after this current snow melts.

Mods/Details:

1995 Legacy L
            -~152k mi
            -Dual Port EJ22 (67awhp of FURY at 5200' elevation)
            -5 speed
            -Second owner, all records

Engine:
            -de-snorked
            -Green panel filter
            -Ebay intake, (yea yea, Ebay, but it's dyno proven for +10 midrange hp)

Exterior:
            -Smoked JDM Projector Headlights with Acura TSX HID Retrofits

Suspension:
            -Whiteline Front Sway, 22mm nonadjustable
            -IPD Rear sway, 20mm iirc, three position adjustable.
            -Whiteline Alloy endlinks front and rear
            -AST 4100 GD fitment coilovers, 350/350 lb/in springs front/rear + rear tenders.
            -Vorshlag High Caster GC front camber plates (add .75 degrees caster)
            -Vorshlag GD rear camber plates
            -more awesomeness on order, details when they arrive.

Wheels/Tires
            -15x6 with Bridgestone RS-A tires. They're alright.
            -14x5.5 with studded snows

Interior:
            -Alpine head unit, Focal speakers

Plan is to eventually give it more power (eg33 for you subaru-savvy folks) and better brakes, but after the suspension is done the car will be left alone mods-wise until the M3 gets an S54 swap (350whp NA from a 3.2 I6. Wheeee!).

More pics:

TSX HID retrofit in JDM housings

2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

was that thing competitive at all in DSP?

nice cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                haha probably true. Meh, I'm just as happy to have a thread for all the cars to keep track.
                Quick question, did you smoke the tail lights, or did one of the previous 6 owners do that? It's a little too smoked for me, but it looks like a good job.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Looks awesome with the Kosei's

G.Verelli

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                    was that thing competitive at all in DSP?

nice cars!
                    Haha no, not at all. To be competitive I would have needed much wider and grippier tires, a much better suspension, and a healthy motor. Locally that would be competitive for 3rd/4th place at best, but no, as it was the car was not competitive. I autocrossed it for fun more than anything.

Thanks tho!

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                    Quick question, did you smoke the tail lights, or did one of the previous 6 owners do that? It's a little too smoked for me, but it looks like a good job.
                    I did not. It actually looked better in person. I'm not sure if they were smoked by a PO or if they were purchased that way.

Originally posted by gverelli View Post
                    Looks awesome with the Kosei's
                    Thanks!
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Some fun looking cars there.

How rampant is snow that the subaru is necessary?
                      Originally posted by z31maniac
                      I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
                        Some fun looking cars there.

How rampant is snow that the subaru is necessary?
                        Thanks!

I live in Colorado at the base of the Rockies within two hours of 9 world-class ski resorts. It snows a fuckton in the mountains, to the point where some roads are closed for 6-9 months out of the year...so yea, lots of snow.

I suppose I should ask why you have a Subaru in Seattle? The reasons you have one are likely very similar to why I have one.

I will say that the E30, E28, and E36 are pathetic in snow even with proper snow tires when compared to the Subaru. Massive difference in competence in inclement conditions. The Subaru's WAY more fun to drive in snow than any of the BMWs are. Especially modded to oversteer like a RWD car would.
                        Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 07-12-2011, 12:05 AM.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Thanks!

I live in Colorado at the base of the Rockies within two hours of 9 world-class ski resorts. It snows a fuckton in the mountains, to the point where some roads are closed for 6-9 months out of the year...so yea, lots of snow.

I suppose I should ask why you have a Subaru in Seattle? The reasons you have one are likely very similar to why I have one.

I will say that the E30, E28, and E36 are pathetic in snow even with proper snow tires when compared to the Subaru. Massive difference in competence in inclement conditions. The Subaru's WAY more fun to drive in snow than any of the BMWs are. Especially modded to oversteer like a RWD car would.
                          I bet, I'm just curious how many days out of the year snow is on the ground and the subaru really proves itself useful. (AKA would it be beyond frustrating for someone who loves to drive in the snow to live in boulder without AWD?)

I love my subaru here, but I bought it for many different reasons and will be selling it soon. We have snow maybe 6 days a year, and the e30 manages to provide enough fun on those days - everything pretty much shuts down here.
                          Originally posted by z31maniac
                          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Mods/Details:

1995 Legacy L
                            -~152k mi
                            -Dual Port EJ22 (67awhp of FURY at 5200' elevation)
                            -5 speed
                            -Second owner, all records

Engine:
                            -de-snorked
                            -Green panel filter
                            -Ebay intake, (yea yea, Ebay, but it's dyno proven for +10 midrange hp)

Exterior:
                            -Smoked JDM Projector Headlights with Acura TSX HID Retrofits

Suspension:
                            -Whiteline Front Sway, 22mm nonadjustable
                            -IPD Rear sway, 20mm iirc, three position adjustable.
                            -Whiteline Alloy endlinks front and rear
                            -AST 4100 GD fitment coilovers, 350/350 lb/in springs front/rear + rear tenders.
                            -Vorshlag High Caster GC front camber plates (add .75 degrees caster)
                            -Vorshlag GD rear camber plates
                            -more awesomeness on order, details when they arrive.

Wheels/Tires
                            -15x6 with Bridgestone RS-A tires. They're alright.
                            -14x5.5 with studded snows

Interior:
                            -Alpine head unit, Focal speakers
                            That is a lot of kit for a stock looking 67whp wagon. I like it.

Comment

Thanks!

You forgot my ix! So much fun in the snow! Nice cars, I like the manwagon.

Comment

Working...
                              X