X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah ....like armor all
    i think ill just go give that a gander

Comment

303 is an amazing water-based product that you should use instead of crap that will dry your shit out. I use it maybe once every other month on my interior, and I use a California Duster in between. Less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
        Armor-All is petroleum-based, just like Vaseline. 303 Aerospace Protectant, or any of the Griot's Garage vinyl and rubber protectants are your best best.

Honestly, the best thing for cleaning and keeping your dash looking fresh is a damp towel with water only. The car community has been brainwashed into thinking they need to saturate their vinyl and rubber trim with protectant so it will soak in and rejuvenate the material, when that's just not the case, it doesn't work like that.

Myth No. 3: Keep your dashboard and tires shiny by frequently wiping them with protectant compounds. Dashboards gather dust and tires lose their shine; it's inevitable with use. Frequent use of various protectant compounds available to consumers, however, can actually do more harm than good. Many dashboard cleaners leave a shiny glare and slippery surface, which are hardly the results you want to aid in safe driving.

Although various compounds can restore a glossy black appearance to your tires, they may strip the rubber of important protectants.
        Some experts even say these treatments cause the dashboard material to dry out or age faster. Also, tires become discolored as a side effect of their built-in chemicals — the waxes and antioxidants that form a protective coating against airborne elements, according to Bill Vandewater, consumer products manager in sales engineering at Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire. Aftermarket shiners can restore a tire's color, but they strip the tire of its original protectants. The result? Vandewater says that over time, cracks form in the rubber. As an alternative, he suggests using mild soap and water with a good brush on the tires. We suggest simply wiping down the dashboard with a wet cloth; there's no need for chemicals.

i'm no expert in car care etc but i always thought water based wasn't good for the reason that the water will evaporate and cause the dash and such to dry out in heat or in sunlight?

Comment

^ They need reapplication of course. These water-based products include a UV protection. The product itself will not dry out vinyl, rubber. The petroleum based products actually break down the vinyl, rubber. The fact they don't evaporate leads to more destruction. Without the UV protection and the idea these products are even magnifying the sun, generating higher heats, accelerates the degradation of what they are to actually protect.

303 and Poorboy's Natural Look are some of the best IMHO that aren't crazy designer prices and available easily. 303 has been used for a long time in other markets, primarily nautical. Their products are used in the harsh conditions of being on the water (sun, sand, salt and weather) says a lot.

It is all personal preference. But if you want an OEM look (no products that will shine and glare and leave oily residue) AND protect (the key word) you don't use Armor All.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwing66 View Post
            Well im sorry your majesties i will never fail you again. I thought it was stupid to use penut butter on trim but it works, i thought id give this a try. So end of story is that this stuff smells and kills the dash, and i see that now. I thyink this product works better on our other lady friends...
            Yes, PB works for that task. A few seconds of Google'ing will confirm this via numerous sources. Good sources, too, like say Autopia or any detailing forum.

Vasoline? Really. A T-Bird forum? Mullet advice maybe...

Comment

"The best solution is to become a polymer scientist and develop better materials."

Comment

Originally posted by nightwing66 View Post
                Well im sorry your majesties i will never fail you again. I thought it was stupid to use penut butter on trim but it works, i thought id give this a try. So end of story is that this stuff smells and kills the dash, and i see that now. I thyink this product works better on our other lady friends...
                ugh wut? Peanut butter? teh fuck does that do?
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

For the cleaning and even protecting of exterior trim. Typically seen to remove the white wax residue left on trim pieces. Taping will help keep the kitchen out of the garage but in case you do get trim with white residue, smooth PB.

The oils are said to protect and shine.

Comment

^ The trim prob stays looking good cause every dog in the neighborhood keeps licking it.
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I have seen a person take a haze off of te37's with peanut butter.
                      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                      (Daily Driver)
                      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                      KW V2 Coilovers
                      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Damn that just looks terrible...
                        -Erik
                        '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                        I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

my favorite part was when he said 'shenanigans and thread jackings are ok' like r3v needs some sort of approval for that kind of shit
                          -Alex

Comment

So what's with tire shine in the first place? New tires aren't shiny...

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                            Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Just preference. Or marketing agenda to push product and make companies money and find a use for left over petroleum byproduct.

I prefer a matte finish. Some like shiny. They even tried tinted tire shine, with red, blue, green and yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                                So what's with tire shine in the first place? New tires aren't shiny...
                                This!
                                -Erik
                                '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                                I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Working...
                                X