Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '88 Touring | 320i to M50TU

Hi everyone :)

My name's Koen and I'm a 24 year old student from the Netherlands. I've bought a 320i touring last year and have been restoring it since. At the moment I'm in the middle of swapping an M50 2.5 VANOS engine into it.

This is the way it looked when I had just picked it up, pretty beat up and plenty of rust. But hey, I'm a student and the budget is tight ;) Picked it up for 350 euros which would be around 500 bucks I guess.

Right after the purchase I did some work on it, went on holiday in the UK with it and drove it for about a year. It looked like this after that:

Now it's like this:

Waiting for this:

Oh, by the way, I've put a 10" subwoofer in it as well:

Tried to keep it inconspicuous :)

Right now I'm tackling some rust issues and preparing everything for the M50. Besides, pretty much the only suspension parts that aren't new yet are going to be replaced within the next month or so.

Well, that's about it. Hope you like it. I'm not sure if I'll be very active in terms of post count but I've been reading along for some time and felt it would only be appropriate to register ;)
    Last edited by Koen; 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM.
    E30 318is Touring | E34 525i Touring

So jealous!!! Very nice touring for 350 euros far out I need to move to Europe.
    Also very jealous if those seats that's even the colour I need them in aswell.
    Good luck with the conversion. Since your Dutch I know you won't settle down just for an m50. I'm expecting massive turbos and insane drifting on those European back roads later on.
    Also very nice sub placement there.

Comment

Damn your cheap tourings lol

Welcome and excited to see this unfold =)
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Welcome! nice car i love the sub placement :D

Comment

Thanks guys!

It was pretty cheap alright... But you know how these things go, you always end up spending way more than you planned :p I'm near 5000 euros now :? Still, it has been worth the trouble and money so far.

And indeed, an M50 is pretty suited for turbocharging (or so I've read), so perhaps that will happen next year or when I get bored, whichever comes first ;)

Comment

shittin?

Comment

I wish ;)

Comment

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
                So jealous right now.
                » PARTS FOR SALE
                » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

+1 on the sub placement. :up:

I like what you're doing. Keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by e30Nicko View Post
                    +1 on the sub placement. :up:

I like what you're doing. Keep it up
                    I was just thinking the other day about where I could put a sub for a little bass that wouldn't hinder the functionality of the boot (I love to use the touring as a truck). That's just perfect.

Looks great with a little love added to clean it up plus the M50 swap is cool too. I'm thinking an M50 touring would be an awesome daily.
                    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                    Originally posted by mbonanni
                    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I feel right at home already :mrgreen:

@ Roysneon: All in all it's about 12 litres (sealed), just enough for this woofer. I've managed to get an amplifier and my iPod into the glove compartment:

It can play pretty loud, but more importantly it offers just that bit of low end extension the regular speakers can't really manage.

The M20B20 was already a joy to drive. It's not quick in the heavy touring (or any other E30 for that matter), but on the other hand it is very smooth. It has a nice "laufkultur" as the Germans put it. :) Besides, even though it had done about 360k km / 220k miles it was still in pretty good nick. 190 kmh / 120 mph was still quite easily achievable.

I'm hoping to clean the car up further after the swap. Replace some exterior trim, polish the paint... All in good time ;)

Comment

Very nice! Same colour as mine.
                        Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

So baulin'
                          -Erik
                          '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                          I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Nice! Love tourings! Really thinking about getting one in the future. But welcome and cant wait to see how this thing unfolds
                            '91 318is

Comment

@ cbouchez: Malachitgrün FTW 8) Here in the Netherlands there are literally hundreds of tourings in Diamantschwarz... This colour is actually kind of rare ;)

@ Erik: :pimp: Love those wheels in your sig... Which brand are they?

@ !AjHoWzA!: Thanks... Tourings are pretty hard to come by in the USA right? Anyway, if you ever consider buying a euro touring and importing it, just let me know and I might be able to find one for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X