Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Addiction, separation anxiety or simply good taste? - My new E30(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addiction, separation anxiety or simply good taste? - My new E30(s)

I'm still not sure exactly what happened, it could be that I have become addicted to E30s. Or possibly I do have separation anxiety since Thelma has been gone to the cage shop for damn near 3 weeks now... I'd like to think that I just have good taste and knew that having only 1 E30 that will be used solely for Chump racing was simply not enough and that I truly needed a nice, clean car to enjoy on the streets and occasionally an OTD.... (wait, that sounds like I'm addicted again... meh, there are worse things to be addicted to!)

But I digress - over the weekend I ended up taking a 2 hour drive with a friend to take a look at a pair of 325is'. Guy was selling them as a pair. And only wanted to get rid of them as a pair. The little I knew from the CL ad was:
    -"gold" car - '89 i M/T coupe - (obviously not a true enthusiast since 'bronzit' was not mentioned) was a mechanically sound car with a lot to be desired in the looks department. Good engine, starts quick, idles smooth without noise or leaks. Good clutch. a solid DD. But with seemingly every body panel dented.
    -red car - '88 is M/T coupe - has overheating issues, but a clean body.

With this being the midwest, I was concerned about the actual condition of the chassis. I asked for a few pics, which he sent the wrong parts. Oh well. I decided to take the 4.5 hour gamble and drive out there. If the pair showed enough promise, it would be a nice 2 hour drive out there with a buddy and return with 2 cars at a reasonable price. If the cars were shit, well, then I'd have a nice 4.5 hour ride around Michigan with my friend.

Turns out that the red car is amazingly clean body/chassis. Front jack points are still solid. :D zinno paint isn't faded anywhere, no dents, no accidents, interior needs a good vacuuming, but otherwise nice. all electrics work, non-cracked dash, M-tech str wheel, 14"weaves with practically new tires. 1 big spot of rust in battery well, but that was the only place I found rust. LOTS of receipts, and some history (car spent some time in Singapore). Only major issue is the car will over-heat if driver too hard or too long (weird thing, the seller indicated if it was driven easy, it wouldn't overheat...???). After looking through the receipts, I'm 99% confident the overheating is due to a bad head - owner in mid 90's let the timing belt break, bent valves etc - valves replace but all the service records after that indicated overheating issues. My guess is a cracked head... Regardless, a great start for the future run DD. Just need to source a replacement head and it'll be dependable road-worthy.

The gold one is pretty rough looking. RF fender is trashed, dents in trunk lid, poorly repainted hood, few other small dents. Typical rust at front jack points (not through), but amazingly, no rust under battery??? Has a slew of newer parts in engine bay (hoses/intake tube/rad tubes). Runs and drives very well. Could use a tune-up, a brake bleed and alignment, possibly 1 front shock but otherwise is fine. It looks a bunch better since I cleaned it out last night. I will likely replace some of the bent panels with stuff off the chump car (same color, and frankly, I don't care if the chump car has bent parts that could easily get more bent...), do a basic tune-up and sell it as a good daily driver, and fund the fun-times rebuild of the red one.

more pics soon.

And if anyone in Detroit area is looking for a solid daily driver / winter beater and doesn't mind appearance, hit me up!
    Last edited by NigelStu; 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM.
    Ben
    Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
    April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
    May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
    October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
    October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
    Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Awesome stu! Im happy for ya!

Comment

Well after seeing everyone get more and more E30s/BMWs i am now hunting for a DD in the PNW. Damn you/<3 you R3v.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
      Sounds like you need a massage.
      Originally posted by kpeng
      Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Picture time!

Yay! Pictures!

Here are 2 of "BeBe". aka, "Bronzit Beater"

Looks like one of the P.O.s tried to get run over by a monster truck. You call that paint match on the hood? :weak:.....

But at least the mechanicals are SOLID on this car. Drove the 2.5 hour home like a champ.

This one will become the temporary DD until:
        • I sell it
        • I get the nice zinno '88 is road worthy
        • something significant breaks on Thelma (the chump car) and I need to cannibalize Bebe to make her whole again
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NigelStu; 08-24-2011, 12:15 PM.
        Ben

Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Comment

More pics

And some pics of the '88 zinno 325is.

Very clean body, paint looks like it will shine up nicely. minimal rust. Even the engine bay is clean. Hood latch is stuck open at the moment, luckily I have a few spares and really just cleaning it up should make it work.

Interior needs a bit of work - like putting it back together. Driver seat was re-upholstered with leather from a 5 series rear seat. Meh, OK for now. Once I get it bolted back in place. Need to put a radio back in eventually. And re-install a good driver side lower IP and glove box (luckily, Thelma gave up some very good parts for this)

I can see a few reasons why this car didn't run as well as the other. rad hoses are old, system needs to be bleed. And the silly PO tried to use duct tape to seal the intake bellow.... maybe it would have worked if it was on tight, and the brake booster connection wasn't torn in half....

This will be the car that gets all the attention. First step will be to get it off the trailer. Easy task, but with 2 other E30s, a Spec Miata, motorcycle and a truck... not much space to put it... Then, pulling the head to get the real story on the overheating and engine health.
          Attached Files
          Ben

Comment

Lol at duct tape. Some people are too cheap... or dumb to use Blunt :)

Comment

My last e30 had an intake boot that was literally made from 3-4 tubes of silicon. Why the PO couldn't shell out the $13 for a new boot is beyond me... He spent way more on the clear silicon.

Comment

Oh my...the 88' zinno...is quite beautiful.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

^Thanks! And it'll get even better....

must decide on ultimate direction. but my 'wanted parts' list is growing in my head.
                  Ben

Comment

Working...
                  X