Going Euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Euro

I've had this car for two and a half years, and I've been working on replacing its US spec parts with Euro spec ones. The interior was a bit of a mess, and the engine acted up a couple times, but I haven't had any major mechanical issues yet.

Here's a few before pictures:

And now in its WIP state after an afternoon of beer drinking, car washing, and oil changing:

So far what I've done:
    - Replaced weird wobbly gear lever with brand new Z3 1.9 lever and new shifter bushings
    - Replaced shifter and e-brake boots with custom leatherette ones with M colored stitching, got new knob and the setup looks awesome imo
    - Replaced cracked dash with a crack free one
    - Throwout bearing crapped out so replaced that, it was a PITA, but at least I know my clutch is like brand new
    - Got lower profile tires
    - Got myself a Euro cluster, clock, grilles, smilies, and bumpers! The rear bumper is still waiting to go on, and I haven't put the Euro clock in yet either.
    - Got black interior panels with hounds tooth inserts, and I love them! The rear panels still need to be replaced, and I want to have my seats to match the door cards when I have them reupholstered.

So what still needs to be done in the near future:
    - Reupholstered seats and steering wheel
    - M-Tech I kit

Later down the road I'd like to properly restore the car, complete with a top notch paint job, all new suspension, and a BMW V8 drive train. A couple of years and I'll open that project thread;)
    Last edited by Conki; 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
    2011 Jeep Wrangler

I can dig the euro bumpers, they look good.

Comment

Looking goood

Comment

Love the cluster, where'd you find it? Forums?

Comment

I like the duct tape bolsters. I like the euro gas gauge. I may have to find one.
          Oh and pros I have a cherokee and an E30 also
          Last edited by bmwguy325is; 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM.
          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by russhixmo View Post
            Love the cluster, where'd you find it? Forums?
            On a trip to Europe. I'm sure MikeDE could help you out, he sent me the bumpers from Germany.

I didn't know how to take the tach assembly apart, that's why the MPG gauge is still an MPG gauge and not a L/100km gauge.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
            2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
              I like the duct tape bolsters. I like the euro gas gauge. I may have to find one.
              Haha the duct tape is there only to stop the disintegrating foam from flooding the interior.

And the grip tape on the steering wheel seemed like a good temporary solution to stop the hot leather from dying my palms black every time I touched it, but now my palms get sticky from the melting adhesive from the grip tape... Gotta love CA sun in Fresno.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
              2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

looks like you also replaced the cracked dash! good job.

we're also gonna need a higher resolution pic of the one in your avatar as well

Comment

Nice! Ya gotta love euro bumpers dude
                  '91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by DuMa View Post
                    looks like you also replaced the cracked dash! good job.

we're also gonna need a higher resolution pic of the one in your avatar as well
                    Oh the dash, I forgot about that. No more cracks!

I'll have to find the orig picture of my avatar, there are many albums to go though;)

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                    2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Working...
                    X