The not-so-dirty DIRTY30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The not-so-dirty DIRTY30

Hello R3V. Just wanted to give a warm hello with my new purchase.

'89 325i
    5speed

The Beginning
    I've been on the hunt for an e30 for over 3 years now. I didn't want a 'vert/auto/4cyl and got fed up with the search. A year ago, I bought an e32/5speed (1/800 imported) but it was way too big and was more of a PITA than it was worth. (electrical problems, CSB and exhaust were a nightmare to deal with) I was planning on dumping some money into this since there are no clean e32's out there...then the head blew and to the junk yard it went. RIP.

Sold that and finally found this beauty about 45 minutes outside Philadelphia. No immediate issues with it, runs strong and is pretty much stock with an aftermarket muffler. Need to fix the speedo (surprise?) peeling grille and for some reason the fog lights don't come on. The previous owner was driving and hit a random chair in the middle of the highway, broke the left fog light lens and reflector and made two dents...nothing too major. Other than that, this guy is in real good shape. In the future I plan on getting different rims, I've always been a fan of the basket weaves and maybe some coilovers or springs.

I also have a B7 A4 thats my DD (for those curious about this oil-eating Passat: STaSIS coilovers, APR 93 Chip boosting 19-21psi, VMR 18' v710, Test Pipe, RS4 rear sway bar, RS4 Grille, B8 fitted LED's)

I think I'm doing something right....
    Smilies, Euro Grilles, Volvo lip, Chrome Kids, Weaves and a sweet tan sport interior. Next up: Drop, light window tint and replace all my leaky gaskets

Q2 2012
    Oil Pan Gasket replaced
    Fog lights (I didn't listen to everyone and bought ebay ones...what a piece of junk)
    JOM Coilover kit (fonts adjusted as high as they can go/no adjuster in rear)

The roads around here are not forgiving, I need to add the rears in as soon as possible, I'm dragging my exhaust over every bump over the road. Also running some pretty aggressive camber.

Funny how a 22 year old car is more reliable than a 4 year old car.

Lot of maintenance done this past winter:
    1) Left Rear wheel hub was going on me, so that meant replacing that along with my right one. Took about 5 weekends worth of headache and pain, from taking the whole arm off to get a 50TN press to push out the shaft, replacing out the trailing arm bushings and rebuilding the parking brake (which required the hands of a small baby). It was one of the most PITA jobs I've done so far and now I have a whole tool box drawer full of miscellaneous pricey tools I probably will never use again.
    2) Swapped out the old leaky steering rack for an e36 rack. Rebuilt it and replaced as much as I could on the new rack including new tie rod arms. It is defiantly a noticeable difference and I am pretty happy with it all.
    3) Replaced all my auxiliary belts, somehow I ran into a problem where my alternator/water pump belt flipped and it wasn't spinning as it should have making it over heat. I don't think I tightened down the adjuster enough when I replaced it.
    4) Mounted Red46's hefty skid plate from the group buy and got some new tires and removed my trunk tar :)

I also had a FUN job of having the cabin fill up with smoke while working on the e36 rack swap. I accidentally hit the starter with a wrench, arching the wrench to the bolt and the starter and by the time I disconnected the battery the whole cabin was full of smoke. After ripping apart the whole interior, I found out it melted....flat out melted the ground going to the turn signal- including the wire casing and the copper itself. It was a mess, but was replaced and all is good now.

For this summer I'm planning on cleaning up the exterior- hopefully finding a right front fender to replace my dented one, doing a light tint job, blacking out that chrome around the windows and cleaning up the black trim around the car. Looking to put some decent miles on the old lady this summer, hopefully doing a few 400mile road trips...and enjoying it!

Last edited by Klug; 10-27-2015, 08:16 AM.
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Needs moar shadowline
    ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Originally posted by blunttech
    I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
    Build Thread?

Comment

shit man i hate it when those chairs pop up in the middle of the highway
      Originally posted by BewWoo
      That's what she said.

Comment

Originally posted by Click View Post
        Needs moar shadowline
        Shadow line sucks. It hides the trademark BMW kidneys.

Comment

Lose that red shift boot and you're cookin.

Comment

Looks good dude and ya that shift boot ain't workin...haha
            '91 318is

Comment

BLACK on RED = WIN!!
              » PARTS FOR SALE
              » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

just get a red e-brake boot and your done.
                -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                Got Drop?? ;-)
                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                But of course
                E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Thats an awesome little house - where is that?

I live in Newtown/Langhorne area

Comment

Time for a drop and an i or is lip! It looks fantastic so far.

Comment

Looks good. I myself just got an 89 325i. I was also searching for that precious 325i/5-speed combination. Found it, and it was even in delphin. Good luck with the car they're as fun as anything!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
                        Thats an awesome little house - where is that?

I live in Newtown/Langhorne area
                        I'm from Wilkesbarre/Scranton area and its my uncle's 130 year old farm house. It's been in a bunch of magazines
                        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                        '95 BMW e34 525i
                        '92 Range Rover Classic
                        '90 Range Rover Classic
                        '67 Pontiac LeMans
                        '24 Model T Depot Hack
                        ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Get rid of that Volvo lip, Now!
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                          VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

That car looks clean! And your property looks even cleaner!
                            1988 325ix

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
                              Get rid of that Volvo lip, Now!
                              I'd love too, but I can never seem to find a nice IS lip!
                              555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                              '95 BMW e34 525i
                              '92 Range Rover Classic
                              '90 Range Rover Classic
                              '67 Pontiac LeMans
                              '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Working...
                              X